PDA

View Full Version : Starbucks Via vs Nescafé 3in1

nu2hike
07-21-2013, 23:21
I like my coffee in the mornings and usually carry Starbucks Via with me on my hikes! I mix it with s sugar and coffee creamer then put it into a small ( 2x3" ) ziplock bag. This makes it very quick and easy to make coffee in the morning plus it cuts down on garbage from the individual components! I just pour it into my cup, add hot water and I'm good to go!
I recently saw an add for Nescafé 3 in 1 which is instant coffee, sugar and creamer as I described above but it comes prepackaged!
Have any of you tried the Nescafé 3 in 1 ? If so,how would you say it compares to the SB Via?

rocketsocks
07-21-2013, 23:29
I like my coffee in the mornings and usually carry Starbucks Via with me on my hikes! I mix it with s sugar and coffee creamer then put it into a small ( 2x3" ) ziplock bag. This makes it very quick and easy to make coffee in the morning plus it cuts down on garbage from the individual components! I just pour it into my cup, add hot water and I'm good to go!
I recently saw an add for Nescafé 3 in 1 which is instant coffee, sugar and creamer as I described above but it comes prepackaged!
Have any of you tried the Nescafé 3 in 1 ? If so,how would you say it compares to the SB Via?Haven't tried the Nescafe 3 in 1, but have had the Trader Joes all in one (which is convenient)....the Starbucks Via is way better...more expensive, but way better. imo

The Ace
07-21-2013, 23:33
FYI: http://sticksblog.com/2013/07/21/nescafe-3-in-1-instant-coffee/#more-5640

MuddyWaters
07-22-2013, 00:19
I tried a nescafe single recently. It wasnt too bad. Taste wasnt all that, but my gripe with starbucks is it all seems way too strong. The Nescafe was very weak, but that was preferable to too strong.

Of course, I really dont like starbucks coffee anyway. Only time I get it is in an airport, and I pretty much think its not all that great.

Dogwood
07-22-2013, 02:10
Nescafé 3 in 1 and SB Via? Two dissimilar products. One is oranges(just micro ground coffee beans). The other is kinda like specially treated oranges(freeze dried coffee), apples(creamer or as the Nescafe site says "whitener" which might be, and almost definitely is, a HUGE difference than REAL dried creamer(half dried milk half dried cream, which is becoming rarer all the time!)), and bananas(sugar, don't really know what kind of sugar either which might be important to some folks, probably just highly refined nutritionally poor white sugar though).

From where I'm sitting my biggest concern is the so called creamer or "whitener" added to the Nescafe 3 in 1. What the hell does "whitener" REALLY MEAN? I also am really skeptical about what's commonly commercially called "creamer." Its most often mostly hydrogenated oil which is typically amber color then died to make it look white duping those who consume it into thinking it's a milk product!

I'll prepare my coffee the way I like but I need to know what the heck I'm putting in it to make it that way! My take - buy coffee(just coffee) and if you like it light and sweet add the creamer in that's REAL CREAM!(REAL dried creams(H and H) are available) and the sweetener of your choice, preferably not the crap they pass of as sweeteners that are Frankenstein chemical experiments called "artificial sweeteners!"

riff raff
07-22-2013, 06:11
Drink Starbucks black and save weight.

Namtrag
07-22-2013, 06:21
To each his own, but all Starbucks coffee tastes burned to me.

rocketsocks
07-22-2013, 06:25
To each his own, but all Starbucks coffee tastes burned to me.
It is very strong...Dark roast, but they came out with a roast called "blonde" and that's a lot lighter roast and the only one I like in the "Via"

LionDog
07-22-2013, 06:38
I have tried many starbucks seems to be my choice.

daddytwosticks
07-22-2013, 07:10
Love to know where to get this locally. Any details on where to purchase other than the inter net? :)

Coffee
07-22-2013, 07:50
Medaglia d'Oro instant espresso ... Recommended but only if you like STRONG coffee!

Tuckahoe
07-22-2013, 08:24
Tried the Trader Joe's instant 3n1 coffee and it wasnt the greatest. Wasn't bad either. Its perfect in a pinch or for the convenience of having the coffee, creamer and sugar all together in one packet.

These 3n1 instant coffees are a staple and the go to coffee in places like Korea or Japan. Except for Trader Joe's 3n1, which is made in Korea, you wont find them on American grocery stores. But you can get it through Amazon.

In the past I have used Folgers, but Ive pretty much decided that im going to switch to real coffee so that I can use the coffee I like from my local coffee shop at the strength I prefer, with the right amount of non-dairy powdered creamer and Splenda that I prefer.

Now as for Starbucks Via it is both industry standard dried coffee and micro ground coffee.

Ewker
07-22-2013, 08:35
Normally we drink Starbucks Italian Roast coffee. We like it strong and so far Starbucks has the best around. My my gf just bought one of these Folgers Individual packs of Black Silk.

nu2hike
07-22-2013, 09:15
I like the Folgers k-cup Black Silk. I will look for this at my local stores.
I agree in part with knowing exactly what is going into your coffee. At home I use Splenda and half & half in my coffee. For hiking I use Nido and Splenda or sugar depends on my mood at the time I'm packing up my food!
I like strong coffee so the Starbucks Via Italian is what I normally carry. The Columbian isn't as strong if you prefer a less bold blend.

Dogwood
07-22-2013, 17:07
Most of you are doing exactly what the food industry wants you to do - focus on the taste, appearance, and aroma of coffee "drinks" as well as the convenience of preparing them aside from knowing what the hell you're drinking. BTW, Starbucks does it too but with their specialty coffee drinks and some of their other drinks although not so much with their daily drip coffees which is the only thing I drink at Starbucks other than maybe a tea on occasion. This may factor intro why Starbucks doesn't post their product's ingredient's lists on line. I had to ask to see the bulk packaging at one of their stores that the ingredient's lists are only printed on with many of their products to find that out. What I found at Starbucks is the more specialized and often more costly a drink is the more crap it contains. When I want a coffee light and a little sweet I go with just REAL coffee, some REAL cream(usually REAL liquid H and H but I've had REAL dried H and H too) and REAL sugar(Sugar In The Raw for me).

When they do get a conscientious ingredient list reader they'll attempt to hide the ingredients in their products or disguise what you are really consuming and the FDA often allows them to get away with it. Good luck with those prepackaged 3 in 1 type coffee concoctions that most often mostly consist of sugar(s)(watch how they sneak in other sugars that don't legally have to be labeled as sugar like corn syrup or high fructose corn syrup!, Hersheys does this with most of their chocolate ingredient lists too which if you ever figured it out are basically chocolate flavored sugar bars!, sugar % by total cals and by total wt are what many of the Hersheys chocolate bars are just as many of those 3 in 1 coffee concoctions), dried hydrogenated oils(trans Fats that don't even exist in nature), artificial creams, colorings, stabilizers, anti-caking agents, etc.

My EX'es 30+ career was as a Division Manager in the food science industry working for one of the world's largest multi-national food and fragrance conglomerates so she filled me in on what occurs in the labs and what goes into what's commonly on grocery store shelves. I only got a small part of the picture too. If we only knew what's in our food and how it's designed, processed, and manufactured it would be alarming. It's not a picture that corporations want fully revealed!

Ewker
07-22-2013, 22:31
Dogwood, most of what you are saying is true and has been know about for yrs. People still buy it knowing what is in it. If you really want to mess with females have them research what is in their makeup.

Dogwood
07-22-2013, 23:16
Thanks for acknowledging what I said Ewker. However. I'm certain the public DOES NOT KNOW what's in their food because full disclosure just isn't happening. No way! No how! It's similar to the myth of political transparency. That isn't happening either. It's just talk that's intended to make us feel better.

Interesting that you should say that Ewker. When I heard some of the ingredients in woman's make-up I thought I was being lied to or what I was being told was being greatly exaggerated. I thought the two groups who told me these things were attempting to just fulfill their own agendas by taking info out of context or simply lying. To my complete astonishment, after doing a few hrs research in a university library, I found out human body parts and bodies are sometimes in make up. The last time I did this research was in the late 80's so I don't know what's currently occurring. It's my best guess, if anything, it's gotten worse and the covering of it up has become much greater.

Just Bill
07-22-2013, 23:26
I like Aldi's instant coffee (beumont coffee)- 2 bucks for a 8 ounce container. Make it as strong or weak as you want. Trader Joes and Aldi are the same company, a lot of the same products for cheap. I am having a brain fart on the name- but we also used to drink the stuff in the 8 ounce rectangular tins a decade ago- the stuff was powdered like hot chocolate but came in lots of good flavors.

Rasty
07-22-2013, 23:56
Most of you are doing exactly what the food industry wants you to do - focus on the taste, appearance, and aroma of coffee "drinks" as well as the convenience of preparing them aside from knowing what the hell you're drinking. BTW, Starbucks does it too but with their specialty coffee drinks and some of their other drinks although not so much with their daily drip coffees which is the only thing I drink at Starbucks other than maybe a tea on occasion. This may factor intro why Starbucks doesn't post their product's ingredient's lists on line. I had to ask to see the bulk packaging at one of their stores that the ingredient's lists are only printed on with many of their products to find that out. What I found at Starbucks is the more specialized and often more costly a drink is the more crap it contains. When I want a coffee light and a little sweet I go with just REAL coffee, some REAL cream(usually REAL liquid H and H but I've had REAL dried H and H too) and REAL sugar(Sugar In The Raw for me).

When they do get a conscientious ingredient list reader they'll attempt to hide the ingredients in their products or disguise what you are really consuming and the FDA often allows them to get away with it. Good luck with those prepackaged 3 in 1 type coffee concoctions that most often mostly consist of sugar(s)(watch how they sneak in other sugars that don't legally have to be labeled as sugar like corn syrup or high fructose corn syrup!, Hersheys does this with most of their chocolate ingredient lists too which if you ever figured it out are basically chocolate flavored sugar bars!, sugar % by total cals and by total wt are what many of the Hersheys chocolate bars are just as many of those 3 in 1 coffee concoctions), dried hydrogenated oils(trans Fats that don't even exist in nature), artificial creams, colorings, stabilizers, anti-caking agents, etc.

My EX'es 30+ career was as a Division Manager in the food science industry working for one of the world's largest multi-national food and fragrance conglomerates so she filled me in on what occurs in the labs and what goes into what's commonly on grocery store shelves. I only got a small part of the picture too. If we only knew what's in our food and how it's designed, processed, and manufactured it would be alarming. It's not a picture that corporations want fully revealed!

Always remember the food industry beat out tobacco as the number one killer in America. 20+ years in the food industry for me.

Dogwood
07-23-2013, 00:08
I've been given some leeway on this thread without my posts being deleted so I'll back off from anymore of the off the original topic talk.

Another Kevin
07-23-2013, 21:19
Melitta filter, or maybe an MSR Mugmate or the generic counterpart. Ground coffee, packed in individual portions in pill envelopes from the pharmacy. Can't abide instant.

Dogwood
07-23-2013, 22:43
I got this idea from someone else but short lengths of plastic soda straws pinched closed on each end and then sealed up by heating up each end make GREAT carriers for coffee, drink mixes, olive oil, fire starter, etc This EASY DIY technique certainly beats the price of already prepackaged things like these! I like this guy's DIY projects!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiB9kUPRXZ4