PDA

View Full Version : No stove on trip

jeremiah j
07-22-2013, 00:34
Thinking about going with no stove for 5 day trip. Can you give me ideas on different foods that don't require cooking.?:)

MuddyWaters
07-22-2013, 00:44
Just about everything thats not noodles, rice, oatmeal, and grits.

Mags
07-22-2013, 01:09
Wrote this earlier:
http://www.pmags.com/going-stoveless-cold-food-for-thought

Food ideas towards the bottom of the article.

Pendragon
07-22-2013, 08:57
Ho-ho's, twinkies, and moon-pies.

canoe
07-22-2013, 08:59
Interesting mags. I ll have to give it a try

Tipi Walter
07-22-2013, 09:07
Thinking about going with no stove for 5 day trip. Can you give me ideas on different foods that don't require cooking.?:)

On such a short trip you could take pretty much anything you'd eat at home and not mind the weight. Things like apples, pears, grapes, avocados, homemade burritos, almond/cashew or peanut butter, a loaf of whole grain bread, rice cakes, crackers, cheese, etc. You could even take cans of chili or refried beans or tomato soup and eat them cold. Canned foods don't make sense on long trips but for a short 5 day trip there's no reason not to bring canned food and your P-38. Canned pears in their own juice mixed with granola comes to mind.

Rain Man
07-22-2013, 09:43
A lot of food that "requires" cooking actually doesn't, if you don't mind eating it lukewarm. Just pour in the water and give it some extra time. I've added water at lunch time (or an afternoon break) to something I plan to eat at dinner time and let the motion of my pack all afternoon on my back work its magic. Works fine on many dehydrated and freeze-dried foods and on some regular foods.

I just recommend you experiment at home, to make sure it suits your own tastes.

Rain Man

Omaha_Ace
07-22-2013, 17:00
Babybel cheese (the wax of one makes quite an effective 5 minute candle, FYI), jerky, granola, nuts, fruit, what others prior to me have already said, grasshoppers, Jif-2-go on na'an is awesome, raid a restauraunt for jelly packets to go with it. Earthworms (squeeze 'em first...) Canned damn-near anything. Tuna/chicken foil packs with a couple mayo packets = awesome dinner right out of the pouch.

And, if you DO bring canned foods, and babybel cheese - you have a mini-stove in the making. I went full circle there...BAM!

rocketsocks
07-22-2013, 17:19
Frito-lays "Bean dip" spread out on a few tortillas, Mmm good!

also like Campbell's bean and bacon soup...right outta the can man!

Theosus
07-22-2013, 23:54
I like bacon jerky and a bagel. Its just preserved bacon in a sack. Awesomeness. Then theres dried fruits/veggies (rehydrating optional). Peanut butter in condiment tubes (think MREs). Pepperoni if you can find the small packs of it or the "slim jim" size mini-sticks. Clif bars or the low-fat grain bars with the fruit goop in the middle. The aforementioned baby bell cheese (better in the winter). Lots of gorp mixtures... Some plant bits if you pack it in a wet paper towel in a ziplock bag.

I do like my stove for warm drinks if not for food. A cup of Chai Latte with supper or cappuccino in the morning with breakfast is great, especially when its cool out. And the cat stove has very little weight/bulk penalty. But I could go stoveless for meals for five days.

fredmugs
07-23-2013, 08:25
Summer sausage and cheese. Tortillas (or bagels) with peanut butter or Nutella. Trail mix. Protein bars. Pop Tarts. Nuts. Snickers.

Omaha_Ace
07-23-2013, 09:50
I have a history of swiping condiments from restauraunts and convenience stores before a trip. Jelly packets, mayo, mustard. Even honey and syrup. :D

Happy44
07-23-2013, 12:00
all u need is a pot, why would u go without it?

Mags
07-23-2013, 12:58
all u need is a pot, why would u go without it?

Simplicity, flexibility, easy logistics, too hot and/or dry.

Just another option to use from the tool kit.

Just Bill
07-23-2013, 13:27
Don't knock it until you try it- Mags is right as usual- there are definitely times when it's not just a good skill- but a requirement. Not my (lack of) cup of tea for longer trips, but sometimes I like it better from time to time, especially if you make your own meals.

RockDoc
07-23-2013, 13:29
I met a guy in VA who was just eating snickers and trail angel food and was asking everyone how far it was to the next Pizza hut all-you-can-eat buffet.
We named it the "gluttony and starve method"

gizzy bear
07-23-2013, 15:42
Frito-lays "Bean dip" spread out on a few tortillas, Mmm good!

also like Campbell's bean and bacon soup...right outta the can man!

i LOVE campbell's bean and bacon soup...hot OR cold....YUMMY!!! slim jims and beef jerky rock too!! now i am hungry...

Dogwood
07-23-2013, 15:47
Wrote this earlier:
http://www.pmags.com/going-stoveless-cold-food-for-thought

Food ideas towards the bottom of the article.

Nicely done article MAGS.

A lot of food that "requires" cooking actually doesn't, if you don't mind eating it lukewarm. Just pour in the water and give it some extra time. I've added water at lunch time (or an afternoon break) to something I plan to eat at dinner time and let the motion of my pack all afternoon on my back work its magic. Works fine on many dehydrated and freeze-dried foods and on some regular foods.

I just recommend you experiment at home, to make sure it suits your own tastes.

Rain Man

Absolutely. I've been doing the same thing for a while now sometimes even when I have a stove and fuel.

Just about everything thats not noodles, rice, oatmeal, and grits.

See above, I've eaten all those things on trail at one time or another cold or lukewarm. Many of the trail bars I eat contain oatmeal(oats) and rice and I'm eating them uncooked, although sometimes I may hold them in a warm pocket before gnoshing. Same with granolas that I'll add to trail mixes which are basically oats. I also make a cold/lukewarm Asian style Sesame/PB noodle dish for dinner and sometimes eat it as a trail snack during the hiking day rather than just looking at it as being a dinner. The grits(even the instant) and rice need to soak well though. Like RM said it bmight be helpful to experiment at home. You don't need to eat everything HOT and you don't need to suffer because of not always eating HOT either. Like MAGS said, "it's just an option to consider." Although I have to admit sometimes I did it because I ran out of fuel and a fire was not possible.