PDA

View Full Version : Pack size for short trips (1-4 nights)

Que Sera
07-22-2013, 12:15
I'm an avid day hiker but new to backpacking. I have been doing research for months and am slowly acquiring gear.

I plan to start with some overnight/weekend trips and work my way up to longer trips. That being said, could I get by with a smaller pack for short trips (35-50L)? Or should I just go ahead and buy a large pack (60-65L)? I'm mainly asking because money is tight and I know smaller packs are cheaper. However, I have no idea if I'll be able to fit everything into a smaller pack. Since I've never done this before, I have no real sense of what different size packs will hold. I'm not trying to go UL, but still paying mind to overall pack weight.

Thoughts?

The Solemates
07-22-2013, 12:42
completely depends on the type of trip you will be undertaking and the time of year you will be going. i often take a 1500 cubic inch camelbak for a 1-4 night trip in the summer. for the same trip in the winter (defined by me as snow on ground and in the teens or below at night) I need 2500-3000 cubic inches.

Since it sounds like you are fairly new to this, I would go with a 3000 cubic inch (or so) pack. That will be versatile enough for many types of trips. 60-65 L is way overkill unless you are spending multiple nights in the bush without resupply. I spent 23 days in alaska without resupply with a 55 L pack.

Namtrag
07-22-2013, 12:47
I use a 60 liter on 3 day trips and am very good at filling it! That being said, the wisdom on here is to buy a smaller pack and force yourself to make good decisions on what you really need to take.

Namtrag
07-22-2013, 12:49
Since you are in the DC area, I would suggest maybe to find an REI nearby that has rental gear, and give both size ranges a weekend to see how you do.

Que Sera
07-22-2013, 13:15
Thanks!

Nam, my closest REI does rent gear, so that's an excellent suggestion.

I do have a goal of thru-hiking the AT sometime soon (hopefully within the next 3-4yrs), but I'll probably be looking at a new pack for that anyway.

Rasty
07-22-2013, 13:17
Thanks!

Nam, my closest REI does rent gear, so that's an excellent suggestion.

I do have a goal of thru-hiking the AT sometime soon (hopefully within the next 3-4yrs), but I'll probably be looking at a new pack for that anyway.

Don't forget the cottage manufactures like ULA, ZPacks. The ULA circuit is a great pack.

HooKooDooKu
07-22-2013, 13:24
Two basic comments:

1. The size pack you'll eventually need depends upon the types of loads you plan to carry.
As a personal example, my hiking style requires a base pack weight of about 25-30lbs for a weekend trip. A co-worker for the same duration trip has a base pack weight closer to 10lbs. As a result, the packs we carry are vastly different.

2. Try to avoid buying gear twice.
Why bother spending about $130 on a 45L pack only to later spend another $190 on a 65L pack.

Que Sera
07-22-2013, 13:52
Don't forget the cottage manufactures like ULA, ZPacks. The ULA circuit is a great pack.

I have been giving ULA packs a hard look.

Que Sera
07-22-2013, 13:53
Two basic comments:

1. The size pack you'll eventually need depends upon the types of loads you plan to carry.
As a personal example, my hiking style requires a base pack weight of about 25-30lbs for a weekend trip. A co-worker for the same duration trip has a base pack weight closer to 10lbs. As a result, the packs we carry are vastly different.

2. Try to avoid buying gear twice.
Why bother spending about $130 on a 45L pack only to later spend another $190 on a 65L pack.

You raise a good point about having to buy gear twice. That's one of the primary reasons I asked here.

kerosenehat
07-22-2013, 13:54
New REI in NoVa I forget where

Que Sera
07-22-2013, 14:06
I go to the one in Rockville :).

Odd Man Out
07-22-2013, 14:08
It may be counter-intuitive, but weekenders often carry bigger loads than long-distance backpackers (hence the term weekend warrior). The reason is that you may be willing and able to carry a heavy pack for a few days and enjoy the creature comforts you my bring. But when you need to carry it for weeks or months at a time, there is a greater incentive to be be very aggressive about cutting back on your pack weight and doing without those creature comforts. I'm kind of a reformed weekend warrior, currently on hiatus as I do a complete overhaul of my gear. My strategy is to shop as I would for a long-distance thru hike, being a light as reasonable for me. Then, even if I only do section/weekend hikes, in theory, this same kit should also work with relatively minor modifications based on the specifics of that hike.

Many have recommended ULA, but I am eying the Elemental Horizon packs. This is probably the direction I will go.
http://www.elementalhorizons.com/packs.aspx

Namtrag
07-22-2013, 14:13
Calling yourself reformed implies you were doing something immoral! lol

You are right, though, that we tend to carry more on weekend trips than we would if we were going a week or longer. For example, I carry a bottle of hooch and my Helinox chair on my 3 day trips. As I will not have time in the next 15-20 years to do anything longer than a few days, I just load it up and enjoy my short trips!

Que Sera
07-22-2013, 16:20
I definitely see how weekend hikers could be inclined to carry more, but ideally I'd like to get in the habit of carrying as little as possible, in preparation for longer hikes. Although it might be more comfortable at first, I don't want to get used to having all those creature comforts I might have to forgo on longer trips.

Maddog
07-22-2013, 16:33
I carry my ULA CDT on most of my short hikes! Maddog:D

rocketsocks
07-22-2013, 17:51
My pack is a 65L, I've yet to have the top collar fully extended with the brain on top holding it all together, but should I require it, it's there. That's about a 8"x 13" Dia. and pretty much the difference between a 65L and a 50 something Liter pack. So again when not in use, it's just folded over. All that said it does add a little weight to your pack to go this route.

Oh, weekend warrior/section hiker here

Slo-go'en
07-22-2013, 19:40
I carry my ULA CDT on most of my short hikes! Maddog:D

That's a good size for weekend trips. Big enough that you don't have to leave too much home and not so big that your tempeted to take everything you own - just in case.

For an overnighter in mid summer with good weather, I can get away with a daypack load. There isn't much room left for food, which limits it to an overnighter.

TroutknuT
07-22-2013, 19:47
Isn't a thru hike just a bunch of 3 or4 day hikes strung together?

rocketsocks
07-22-2013, 19:58
Isn't a thru hike just a bunch of 3 or4 day hikes strung together?yep, approximately 500

jeffmeh
07-22-2013, 21:23
Isn't a thru hike just a bunch of 3 or4 day hikes strung together?

Absolutely, on the AT. There are other trails, though. :)

Just Bill
07-22-2013, 21:30
Que Sera- Oddmanout has it down and it looks like you agree. The rental suggestion is a good one too. I've helped set a lot of folks up over the years, the pack should actually be your last piece of gear. You need to nail down what fits in the container, before you buy it. Frameless packs from the cottage guys are awesome, but you need to carry under 30 pounds- or they suck. You won't find items like that at REI. Your sleeping pad and sleeping bag choices could easily fill up 20L of pack space alone. Seasonal conditions are a huge deal too. I usually let folks borrow my packs to get started- I suggest you "borrow" from your buddy's at REI until you nail down more details. If you have access to backpacking light, check out where they are heading. They are pretty much arriving at the same conclusion that Oddman has- you can have one basic kit that you can tune a bit, and a slightly bigger pack than your typical SUL pack makes sense for that reason. I plan my packs on a worst case of 7 days food by taking advantage of simple expansion collars, but if you are AT specific- 5 days or less is fine. I use a Neo-air and a summer quilt to keep pack volume down- I have a roughly 30L pack with everything blown out that holds seven days food- but that took a lot of tinkering. As Oddman implied; on a weekend trip, you have less food- so you can haul a few creature comforts in the extra space. (A good plan too to keep you in shape!) A basic pack like a GoLite Jam for $100 bucks in 36L size can do the job without breaking the bank. I have started a lot of folks off on that pack, depending on rental rates it may be cheaper to buy that pack to start out. Two or three weekends of rental fees may cover the cost. It sounds like even if you won't be a gram weenie- you still want to keep things tight- as others mentioned, a smaller pack forces you to think. If you are a member check out this article- http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/sul_mindset_part_2.html If not a member- it's only $25 a year, and well worth it to help you along as long as you don't get too turned off by the engineers over there.

hobbs
07-22-2013, 21:48
I have been giving ULA packs a hard look.

Never a bad thing to look at what most people come to relize is a good packmaker..I would rent from REI and make your other purchases first and then buy your pack.You can also rent different packs to see what you want out of your gear..

Que Sera
07-23-2013, 10:16
Thanks Bill! I will be re-reading your post several times :).

Old Boots
07-23-2013, 12:05
It also depends on time of year. I use a 4 season tent late Fall to early Spring and 0 degree bag during that time. They are heavier and bulkier than my 3 season tent and 30 degree bag which I use the rest if the year. Also I wear heavier and carry more clothing than in the summer.

Just Bill
07-23-2013, 12:09
Thanks Bill! I will be re-reading your post several times :).

Anytime! Feel free to PM me with any questions- I'd be happy to e-mail you an excel sheet to help you build your kit if you're interested.

Another Kevin
07-25-2013, 17:52
Everyone is right that the pack should be the last piece of gear you choose for a trip, and the correct answer to "how big" is "big enough to hold your stuff and carry well."

For me, clueless weekender that I am, that means that my 65 litre pack is about right. For a summer overnighter, it's way too much pack - if I carried a tarp instead of a tent and a quilt instead of my usual sleeping bag, I could make do with 25-30 litres. But I can collapse the collar, cinch the side ties in tight, and still have it carry OK. For a winter multi-day trip, it has very little room to spare, and carries just adequately because it doesn't balance all that well with whatever traction gear I'm not using lashed to the outside. (I don't think any pack carries all that well when you lash on a pair of snowshoes!)

If I were shorter, I'd be happier with the 55 litre version of the same pack. But that smaller model just doesn't fit my back.

Firefighter503
07-28-2013, 14:02
yep, approximately 500

By that math, a thru hike is a 4-5 year endeavor. ;)

Drybones
07-28-2013, 14:53
The input we all give is based only on what we've used, there may be a better mouse trap out there but we dont know about it. The size pack you need depends on the size gear you have, I can put the tent I now have in my back pocket, the one I started with would fill a gallon bucket. The following is the progression of packs I've used:

1. Gregory Z-Pack - 3lb,7oz - 60L...first trip out I was carrying 38 lbs in this pack, it killed me, the pack cut into my lower back, had an odd shape that didn't agree with me. It might have been okay for under 20 lbs but probably would still hurt my back.

2. Deuter 65 + 10 ACT Lite - 3lb,15oz - 65L...used it on a week hike in the Rockies carrying 42 lbs and it did well. I would continue using this pack if I had to carry over 38 lbs for days. The torso being adjustable is a big plus, well padded.

3. REI Flash 65 - 3lb, 3oz - 65L...good pack but was larger than I needed for the gear I had. I still use it for < week hikes to save wear and tear on my best pack but have taken the lid off.

4. REI Flash 50 - 2lb, 12oz - 50L...this pack is about the right volume for me for a 4-5 day trip. I would have used this on my thru hike attemp if the torso was the right size, I need a large and it was a medium.

5. Granite Gear Crown 60 - 2lb, 20z - 60L...I can't imagine finding a pack that would work better for me, hardly notice I have it on . The best thing about this pack is how close it fits to your back, which makes a big difference in how heavy the load feels. It also can be cinched up when carrying small loads to make it wear well. Under 35lbs this is the pack I use. This probably wont make sense to you but my organization is much better with pack and it has only the two side and one back stretch pockets.

rocketsocks
07-29-2013, 08:11
By that math, a thru hike is a 4-5 year endeavor. ;)
Or in my case...a whole lifetime.