PDA

View Full Version : Explain To Me A Mail Drop

Arsenul
07-22-2013, 15:29
I understand that you mail a box of food or gear to a location, but I don't understand how it all works. How long will the place keep the Mail Drop and how will I even know where to send the mail drops? I understand what a Mail Drop is, but I don't understand how it works.

jeffmeh
07-22-2013, 15:34
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?15-resupply

rocketsocks
07-22-2013, 15:39
I understand that you mail a box of food or gear to a location, but I don't understand how it all works. How long will the place keep the Mail Drop and how will I even know where to send the mail drops? I understand what a Mail Drop is, but I don't understand how it works.
Here's a good article to start with, probably more than you want to know.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?30

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?132-Re-Supply-Along-the-Appalachian-Trail-Part-1-Sprinter-MT-to-Damascus-VA

Cookerhiker
07-22-2013, 16:17
This may be covered in the articles cited above but it's best to send your supply box to a hostel or motel. Just phone first to make sure they accept them and what the conditions are e.g. one night's stay required or nominal fee for receiving and storing. The problem with sending them to Post Offices is that you don't know for sure when you'll arrive. If you reach town at 1 PM on a Saturday and the PO closed at noon, you have to wait until Monday morning to retrieve your package.

bigcranky
07-22-2013, 21:14
Get a hiking guide for the trail you are hiking. It will give you a lot of information for each town -- the Post Office address, any resupply options like grocery stores, other useful places like motels and hostels. Usually the guide will say if a location accepts mail drops, but it's always a good idea to call ahead first. Of course, the PO accepts mail drops :). Send it to yourself care of the hostel, or "general delivery" to the PO, and write your name, trail name, anticipated date of arrival, and "hold for hiker" on the outside.

Lots of info in those other threads. My personal take is that for the AT, unless one has unusual dietary needs, mail drops are more trouble than they are worth, with a few exceptions in very remote areas. But your mileage may vary.

Venchka
07-22-2013, 22:05
Least expensive method of mailing:
USPS Large flat rate box. Current price about $15.50, give or take a few pennies. One of those boxes will hold about a gross of Snickers Bars.
Good eats! Have fun!

Wayne

Venchka
07-22-2013, 22:06
Least expensive method of mailing:
USPS Large flat rate box. Current price about $15.50, give or take a few pennies. One of those boxes will hold about a gross of Snickers Bars.
Good eats! Have fun!

Wayne

Should have typed:
USPS Large Priority Mail flat rat box.

Wayne

Spirit Walker
07-23-2013, 15:35
Two kinds of resupply boxes: 1) Some people pack all their food for a section and have someone at home mail it to them on the trail. Problem with this is, it's usually not necessary, since there are many grocery stores along the trail, and your tastes can change as you go. For example, I got very sick of oatmeal and instant grits. I ended up leaving a lot of that sort of thing behind in hiker boxes in hostels. I also found other foods I liked better than what I had packed. 2) Drift or bounce boxes - if you don't want your family to have to send you a lot of food boxes, you can buy all or most of your food along the way. However, you may still have some things that you want to get regular access to - like maps, extra batteries, medications, books, shampoo, special foods, etc. In that case, you may choose to pack that sort of thing in a box that you only get access to once a month or so. You would mail it to yourself, care of General Delivery, take out what you need, put in what you don't need, and mail it ahead. This can also be a good way of mailing food from towns with good grocery stores to towns with small or non-existent stores. You just have to be sure that you have a real post office to forward the package. (On some of the western trails, resupply may be at a campground or small resort. They may accept mail but be unable or unwilling to send out mail.)

max patch
07-23-2013, 15:50
but it's best to send your supply box to a hostel or motel.

Not necessarily. No one is gonna screw with your package at a post office. You won't even be able to get it without picture ID. Security at a hostel or motel is not going to be as good. Choice is yours.

max patch
07-23-2013, 15:55
2) Drift or bounce boxes - if you don't want your family to have to send you a lot of food boxes, you can buy all or most of your food along the way. However, you may still have some things that you want to get regular access to - like maps, extra batteries, medications, books, shampoo, special foods, etc. In that case, you may choose to pack that sort of thing in a box that you only get access to once a month or so..

I bounce meds and maps. Since the bounce box is already there, I include things that come in larger quantities than I need at one time such as q-tips, zip lock bags, etc.

Sly
07-23-2013, 17:16
When mailing drops don't forget to use the AT mailing labels page (see sig)