PDA

View Full Version : Asolos with split sole

greenmtnboy
07-22-2013, 18:34
I was up on Mt. Monadnock yesterday. I was wondering what felt so funny with hiking down the mtn.. I found out; my Asolo Fugitives were totally split in the sole. Here is a pic., never had this happen before. 2291222913Anyone else?

rocketsocks
07-22-2013, 19:02
I was up on Mt. Monadnock yesterday. I was wondering what felt so funny with hiking down the mtn.. I found out; my Asolo Fugitives were totally split in the sole. Here is a pic., never had this happen before. 2291222913Anyone else?
Tipi has some photos of a blow out, but I think his blew out the side...

incedecntly, those boots look like they don't owe you nothin...Balogna skins!, nice job I'm sure wearin em out was fun.:)

Tipi Walter
07-22-2013, 19:12
Check out these threads---

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=832107219;t=9991164082

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/asolo/fugitive-gtx/

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/gear-selection/topics/147580.html

While I've had miserable problems with the 520 full leathers, I've had no problems with the Fugitives except for their short trail life---2 years is about it.

greenmtnboy
07-22-2013, 19:19
Thanks for the feedback. I was looking for another $150 sale online, which I haven't seen in quite a while. They are great boots but not by Limmer standards..."Slippers" they call them.

Coffee
07-22-2013, 19:19
I had my Asolos resoled this year although I have since switched to trail runners for warm weather walking. However, the soles were nowhere near as worn as in the pics above before I had them resoled!!!

Tipi Walter
07-22-2013, 19:45
Thanks for the feedback. I was looking for another $150 sale online, which I haven't seen in quite a while. They are great boots but not by Limmer standards..."Slippers" they call them.

Limmers have their own set of problems---

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Gear-TheSevenHolyNylons/Bags-Pads-And-Other-Junk/i-XSvnNLq/0/L/LIMMER%20BOOTS%20005-L.jpg
Limmer lightweight boots, purchased in 2000 and lasted about a year before having to be sent off to Limmers because the welt thread disintegrated causing both soles to detach. Something about using unwaxed thread for the sole welt. Also after a year of use the inner heel leather ripped apart but the Limmer boys repaired it to my satisfaction. Funny thing is, after spending $95 for repair, the boots get back from the Limmer boys and this happens right out of the box. Verdict? Crap.

jeffmeh
07-22-2013, 20:29
Limmers have their own set of problems---

Limmer lightweight boots, purchased in 2000 and lasted about a year before having to be sent off to Limmers because the welt thread disintegrated causing both soles to detach. Something about using unwaxed thread for the sole welt. Also after a year of use the inner heel leather ripped apart but the Limmer boys repaired it to my satisfaction. Funny thing is, after spending $95 for repair, the boots get back from the Limmer boys and this happens right out of the box. Verdict? Crap.

I can assure you that my heavy ones they custom made in the '80s are built to last. Unfortunately, I don't foresee myself ever using them again, as I have gone much lighter.

T.S.Kobzol
07-22-2013, 20:33
I can assure you that my heavy ones they custom made in the '80s are built to last. Unfortunately, I don't foresee myself ever using them again, as I have gone much lighter.

Me and my limmers are on our fifth year together worth zero issues. I use them for wintersnow hiking too. I have the midweight model.

sent from samsonite using tapioca 2

RF_ace
07-22-2013, 20:59
i would say you got you $$$ out of em

leaftye
07-22-2013, 21:09

Hiking...or sliding?

T.S.Kobzol
07-23-2013, 05:26
The sole looks pretty worn out. Time for new pair.

T.S.Kobzol
07-23-2013, 05:29
My response is to the photos of your Asolos. Looks like the thread on your sole wore out.

greenmtnboy
07-23-2013, 08:14
Not sure what the direct cause was. I usually hike standard, nothing fancy or abusive of footwear. I had a pair of LL Bean Crestas where the soles wore out quickly on the PA rocks on the AT. I started slipping bad by the time I got to the end because the soles were so worn and they were recent purchases.

peakbagger
07-23-2013, 09:37
I agree you got your miles out of them. 'Rubber' compounds for boots are a compromise. Generally if you want good grip and flexibility, the compound is going to be softer and therefore will wear out quicker. Harder rubber tends to last longer but can be more slippery. In general I find modern boots that have their treads moulded into the base of the boots rather than sewn tend to be less durable.

I wore out a pair of Vibram soles on my custom Limmers in three hiking seasons, but my primary hiking area is the whites which is hard on boots due to the abrasive granite.

Some injection molded shoes use a dual density sole with a softer cleats and harder base, possibly that's what happened to the boots, the treads were worn off and the underlying compound failed.

The Cleaner
07-23-2013, 09:59
Look's like you got many miles on them anyway. They just don't make gear like they used to. Hikers don't last as long either:eek:....