PDA

View Full Version : Couple of odd questions

Gypsyphoenix
07-23-2013, 14:01
Ok first off what is cozy cooking and why is it necessary?
Second: Since Im only doing a section hike for the month of may do I really need a 20 degree bag? I have an army issued mummy bag thats rated 30-50 degrees so Im not sure if i need something for colder weather.
I also have MREs at my disposal, Im wondering if they can be dehydrated??

Im sure I will have more questions later, but thats all I can think of for now. Thanks!

Just Bill
07-23-2013, 14:14
http://sectionhiker.com/diy-freezer-bag-cooking-cozy/ Long story short- the cozy is just a place to keep a meal warm. Make your own meal, dump in boiling water, let it sit in an insulated spot. You can also use your sleeping bag or spare clothes. Saves on fuel by using the cozy to finish rehydrating your meal rather than simmering on the stove. Never tried to dehydrate a MRE, but if you have tons of them left over, check the fat content first- high fat content meals spoil when dehydrating. Although if your trip is short enough, they would probably make it a week or two. http://www.backpackingchef.com/ good source for dehydrating/freezer bag cooking in general. As far as your bag- let your body tell you what you need- since you aren't going until next year- when the weather gets cooler spend a few nights on the back porch to see how your bag holds up. Your army bag may be beat to hell, so it may not function, on the other hand it may do the job- the good news- it's easy to find out, just put in a few nights at your expected temps (or lower) to find out.

Sailing_Faith
07-23-2013, 14:14
Hello!

Going with what you have is not a bad way... May can be cold at night, depending on where you are going. I was hiking in SNP October before last. I left most of my cold wx stuff in the truck and was up on Hightop mountain when it started to snow... And did not stop till the next morning! I had a light jacket, and was ok in my (15f) bag... I did feel better talking to someone who lives in Elton and he said that was the first snow he could recall that early n 10 years of living there. If you carry the bag you have, make sure you have some layers you can sleep in just in case it gets cold unexpectedly.

MREs are bad enough on their own, if you are going to take the time to dehydrate food you should at least start with something edible. :). Depending on how long you are planning to be out for, you can likely find what you need in a grocery store to get you through your hike that will both taste better and be lighter.

Where are you planning to section?

Odd Man Out
07-23-2013, 14:15
Ok first off what is cozy cooking and why is it necessary?
Second: Since Im only doing a section hike for the month of may do I really need a 20 degree bag? I have an army issued mummy bag thats rated 30-50 degrees so Im not sure if i need something for colder weather.
I also have MREs at my disposal, Im wondering if they can be dehydrated??

Im sure I will have more questions later, but thats all I can think of for now. Thanks!

A cozy is insulated cover for your cooking pot. You buy one, make one, or just wrap the pot in a dish towel. For things like instant meals (i.e. just add water...), bring your water to a boil, add the food, remove from heat, put in cozy, let set until cooked, eat. It saves fuel by not having to heat your food after it comes to a boil. Also, many stoves don't work so well at low heat (simmer). Because the food rehydrates at near boiling, but not quite at boiling, you may need to adjust your cooking time or expectations accordingly. If you put the food and hot water in a Zip-lock freezer bag in a bag cozy, you are doing Freezer Bag Cooking (FBC). Pretty much the same, but you don't have to clean the pot.

The bag temp you need might depend on what section you are hiking.

I don't know nothing about MREs.

mrgadget921
07-23-2013, 14:46
the cozy is just an insulator for dehydrated meal bags while reconstituting them. saves cooking fuel.
may section 20? USGI MUMMY is VERY heavy for temp rating but nearly indestructible double up with just the inner bags!{3.5# for both} that way you have multiple options and warm to 30! DOWN is very expensive for several reasons but mostly BECAUSE IT WORKS!{2#+/- 20} DIY good bulk down is $10/oz! plus a lot of sewing.....
MREs are extremely heavy. even when you compare the weights including the cooking water consumed with dehydrated meals. they are great for car camping or the last meal in your backup reserve.... or the BOB.

Gypsyphoenix
07-23-2013, 14:55
Im planning on leaving from Franklin on april 28th and hiking 30 some odd days

Some of the MREs are really good!