PDA

View Full Version : I am a passively suicidal hiker. Are you?

ekih
07-24-2013, 02:24
I'll drive up for 2-3 hours to the White Mountains and once I hit the trail I do pretty much everything I'm not supposed to do. I'll go on what a lot of people would consider 'long hikes' (15+ miles roundtrip) carrying only a bottle of water, my driver's license, car keys, a credit card, a cell phone, and if I am not familiar with the area, a segment of a map. I carry no tent, backpack, jacket, sweater, swiss army knife, extra water, or any of those things that conventional wisdom would say would save my life in the event of an emergency. And contrary to what some hikers have implied, I don't hike with the expectation that if I get in trouble another hiker will bail me out. If I break a leg and have to spend the night alone in the woods, and if I don't make it till the next day, so be it. My only concern is the poor, innocent do-gooders who would take it upon themselves to carry my dead body out of the woods, but then again, I'm obviously not the type of person who 'cares'.

So the only reasonable explanation for my behavior is that I am "passively suicidal", and since I'm of the opinion that most 'hardcore' hikers like myself have some sort of internal conflict going on inside their heads, I was wondering if there is anyone here who identifies with this kind of attitude and is not afraid to admit it.

Hill Ape
07-24-2013, 02:39
your first post, and this is what you came with? you have issues best dealt with by a trained mental health professional. good luck.

ekih
07-24-2013, 02:56
your first post, and this is what you came with? you have issues best dealt with by a trained mental health professional. good luck.

by mental health professional do you mean...

... a psychologist? (didn't work)

... a psychiatrist? (pills can make life more bearable, that's for sure)

Magic_Mack
07-24-2013, 05:50
Hey look on the bright side, at least you are doing what you like......and HYOH

rocketsocks
07-24-2013, 06:21
Sure I can identify...sounds like what you need is a real shaking up, like having your foot caught under boulder with a grizzly approaching and only a pen knife with a dull blade for the job. I'm serious dude. Did you ever have to make up your mind, to pick up on one and leave the other behind, it's not always easy, and not often kind..but did you ever have to finally decide?

Tri-Pod Bob
07-24-2013, 06:23
All I can think of is what you seem to not be thinking of........the dangers that your irresponsible actions put on the rescue responders who have to go find your dead or damaged ass! I spent 23 yrs as a full time firefighter & am still a wilderness first responder. I lost count of the # of calls I've been on due to stupidity or ignorance over the years & don't appreciate your cavalier attitude/actions, which puts my fire service brothers/sisters in peril. We lose members often enough doing the regular stuff in the course of helping others. Please rethink your methods & get the selfishness addressed!!

hikerboy57
07-24-2013, 06:33
Didn't you guys read alligators comments about trolling ? This is a perfect example

Tuckahoe
07-24-2013, 06:39
Well bless his heart.

rocketsocks
07-24-2013, 06:43
Didn't you guys read alligators comments about trolling ? This is a perfect exampleI think this the guy's for real...he really doesn't care if he lives or dies...he needs a push.

and aside from being a bunch of other stuff, I'm pretty sure I'm one of the pain in the asses :D

HikerMom58
07-24-2013, 07:00
I'll drive up for 2-3 hours to the White Mountains and once I hit the trail I do pretty much everything I'm not supposed to do. I'll go on what a lot of people would consider 'long hikes' (15+ miles roundtrip) carrying only a bottle of water, my driver's license, car keys, a credit card, a cell phone, and if I am not familiar with the area, a segment of a map. I carry no tent, backpack, jacket, sweater, swiss army knife, extra water, or any of those things that conventional wisdom would say would save my life in the event of an emergency. And contrary to what some hikers have implied, I don't hike with the expectation that if I get in trouble another hiker will bail me out. If I break a leg and have to spend the night alone in the woods, and if I don't make it till the next day, so be it. My only concern is the poor, innocent do-gooders who would take it upon themselves to carry my dead body out of the woods, but then again, I'm obviously not the type of person who 'cares'.

So the only reasonable explanation for my behavior is that I am "passively suicidal", and since I'm of the opinion that most 'hardcore' hikers like myself have some sort of internal conflict going on inside their heads, I was wondering if there is anyone here who identifies with this kind of attitude and is not afraid to admit it.

If you are after attention- you got our attention but we can't help you. There is help for you out there, you may not find it on the first try. Keep trying. Don't give up. If you are a "troll" I guess we did "help you"... our bad.

Lone Wolf
07-24-2013, 07:04

cool. then you deserve to die. next troll

daddytwosticks
07-24-2013, 07:08
...Bear Gryll? Is that you? Drink your pee yet? :)

Onedawg
07-24-2013, 07:13
...Bear Gryll? Is that you? Drink your pee yet? :)

LOL!

(added additional text because post was "too short")

Tri-Pod Bob
07-24-2013, 07:16
cool. then you deserve to die. next troll
If & when he does, hopefully he doesn't tell anyone else where he went for his 'Death March'. Then no one else is put in peril trying to find his corpse!

Ender
07-24-2013, 08:25
There's no way this is going to end well. Shutting it down before it gets any uglier.