PDA

View Full Version : Help from a Canadiian hiker

jimdiane
07-31-2005, 17:23
Hi everyone!, great site:) I'm from Toronto, Ontario Canada and I have never been to your part of the country, but I would sure like to try it out! Can anyone give me any suggestions for a 5 day hike? are there any loops or is it all thru hikes? Any other suggestions or recommendations would be much appreciated!
thanx
jim
Toronto, CANADA

Lone Wolf
07-31-2005, 17:42
How far you willing to drive?

Nean
07-31-2005, 17:57
Hey Jim, Any 5 day hike on the AT is a good one! Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine are close and a good place to start. One would have to know what kind of shape you're in and your experience to some degree to suggest the hike best for you. I'd suggest the AT Data book and an atlas. Then you will know roads and how much trail, etc. is between them. There are some good loops and stretches. Shuttles or hitches make any scenerio possible -Good luck!

Peaks
08-01-2005, 07:48
For someone from Toronto, I'd suggest the Adirondacks of NY. Not on the AT, but a great place to backpack.

If you want to get closer to the AT, then I'd suggest Vermont or New Hampshire. Kind of hard to do a good loop in Vermont. However, several good loop possibliities in the White Mountains.

Spirit Walker
08-01-2005, 09:08
If you're willing to fly, the Shenandoahs in Virginia have many possible loop hikes.

Jack Tarlin
08-01-2005, 11:57
Jim, check out www.atconf.org This is THE best place to go for Trail information, and they have sections of the website devoted to each region of the Trail. This is also the best place to go for maps and guidebooks.

Since you're in Canada, I suggest you have a look at the Trail in Northern New England.

Maine is wonderful in September. New Hampshire will be crowded til well after Labor Day. Vermont is always beautiful no matter when you go.

For more information:

*Maine, see www.matc.org
*NH, see www.outdoors.org
*VT, see ww.greenmountainclub.org

When you narrow it down a bit and decide where you're going, let us know if we can help you in any way.

dream
08-01-2005, 13:40
if you decide on going to the Adirondacks shoot me a PM if you want my 2 cents. I'd put it here but I don't wanna get way off topic. I grew up just south of the 'dacks (which I swear I have never heard anybody call them that). Just did a hike last year there in the "high" peaks area. Enough Off Topic-ing! **sorry!**

jimdiane
08-01-2005, 17:07
if you decide on going to the Adirondacks shoot me a PM if you want my 2 cents. I'd put it here but I don't wanna get way off topic. I grew up just south of the 'dacks (which I swear I have never heard anybody call them that). Just did a hike last year there in the "high" peaks area. Enough Off Topic-ing! **sorry!**

thanx everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana:banana:banana

jim