PDA

View Full Version : Attn all ........New tick related disease ID'd on July 22

Tri-Pod Bob
07-24-2013, 07:34
As a Lyme/Anaplasmosis victim, this hits home for me :eek:........... The Heartland virus, a mysterious virus first identified last year in two Missouri farmers, is indeed transmitted to people by ticks, new research suggests. The findings, published today (July 22) in the American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, confirm what scientists had suspected.
The virus was first noticed in 2009, when two men in Missouri were admitted to hospitals with high fevers, diarrhea, fatigue and a severe drop in the number of their white blood cells, immune cells that fight infection. Because the disease's symptoms looked similar to bacterial infection, doctors gave the men antibiotics (http://www.livescience.com/32364-what-do-antibiotics-do.html), but they didn't improve. Last year, researchers sequenced the virus found in the men, and found it had not previously been identified. They named it the Heartland virus (http://www.livescience.com/22813-new-heartland-virus-discovered.html), and said that it resembled another tick-borne pathogen called SFTS virus, which had been identified in China and was fatal in 12 percent of cases.
The Missouri men infected with the Heartland virus recovered after 10 to 12 days in the hospital. Finding the source
Though researchers suspected that ticks spread the virus — both men reported being bitten, one of them up to 20 times a day — the evidence wasn't conclusive.
Harry Savage, a medical entomologist with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Fort Collins, Colo., and his colleagues collected more than 7,000 tick nymphs in the Missouri woods.
The researchers then ground up the ticks, and analyzed them for genetic information.
They found that about 1 in 500 of members of species Amblyomma americanum, also known as lone star ticks, carried the Heartland virus.
"This tick is widespread throughout the South, and the east," Savage said.

rocketsocks
07-24-2013, 07:52
Well that ain't good...or maybe it is, that they identified it. Thanks for posting Bob.

Tri-Pod Bob
07-24-2013, 08:06
Well that ain't good...or maybe it is, that they identified it. Thanks for posting Bob.

Symptoms are very similar to Anaplasmosis which was ID'd in 2009. Especially the white blood cell decline aspects. It knocked the hell out of me....enough to force me to retire from the fire dept. 10 yrs earlier than planned (doing pretty ok now, though). I'm wondering if this virus also "jumped" from the mammal critter realm to the mammal human realm like Anaplasmosis did, too.

Pedaling Fool
07-24-2013, 09:19
Seeing that this is in the "forum help topics" I can't help; seems like it requires the intervention of a moderator.

Tri-Pod Bob
07-24-2013, 10:11
Seeing that this is in the "forum help topics" I can't help; seems like it requires the intervention of a moderator.

My bad.....still new to WB & should have realized that it is supposed to be in the Health area. If Mr. Moderator can move it there, all will be well. Apologies to all who may have been offended by my low tech ignorance.

Alligator
07-24-2013, 11:45
My bad.....still new to WB & should have realized that it is supposed to be in the Health area. If Mr. Moderator can move it there, all will be well. Apologies to all who may have been offended by my low tech ignorance.Thread moved.

Namtrag
07-24-2013, 12:00
Apparently there is also a new illness that ticks carry which causes you to be totally intolerant and allergic to any animal protein. Heresay as I heard it from a doctor around the campfire last month. Has anyone else hear of this?

Alligator
07-24-2013, 12:13
Apparently there is also a new illness that ticks carry which causes you to be totally intolerant and allergic to any animal protein. Heresay as I heard it from a doctor around the campfire last month. Has anyone else hear of this?I don't know what it is called but I have heard about it. It is causing some people to be intolerant to meat. Some accounts suggested that the intolerance may reduce after a period of months.

rocketsocks
07-24-2013, 13:53
Symptoms are very similar to Anaplasmosis which was ID'd in 2009. Especially the white blood cell decline aspects. It knocked the hell out of me....enough to force me to retire from the fire dept. 10 yrs earlier than planned (doing pretty ok now, though). I'm wondering if this virus also "jumped" from the mammal critter realm to the mammal human realm like Anaplasmosis did, too.
Glad your feelin better. I to had somethin grab me by the short hairs in 2005, docs are still scratchin their heads...sucks being an enigma.

speedbump
07-24-2013, 15:41
CDC info

http://www.cdc.gov/ncezid/dvbd/heartland/index.html

Odd Man Out
07-24-2013, 16:19
Apparently there is also a new illness that ticks carry which causes you to be totally intolerant and allergic to any animal protein. Heresay as I heard it from a doctor around the campfire last month. Has anyone else hear of this?

Just looked it up on Google Scholar.

The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, Volume 127, Issue 5 , Pages 1286-1293.e6, May 2011
http://www.jacionline.org/article/S0091-6749%2811%2900344-7/abstract

"Background: In 2009, we reported a novel form of delayed anaphylaxis to red meat that is related to serum IgE antibodies to the oligosaccharide galactose-α-1,3-galactose (alpha-gal). Most of these patients had tolerated meat for many years previously. The implication is that some exposure in adult life had stimulated the production of these IgE antibodies...

Conclusion: The results presented here provide evidence that tick bites are a cause, possibly the only cause, of IgE specific for alpha-gal in this area of the United States. Both the number of subjects becoming sensitized and the titer of IgE antibodies to alpha-gal are striking. Here we report the first example of a response to an ectoparasite giving rise to an important form of food allergy."

Tri-Pod Bob
07-24-2013, 16:47
Thread moved.

Thank you!

Tri-Pod Bob
07-24-2013, 16:58
Glad your feelin better. I to had somethin grab me by the short hairs in 2005, docs are still scratchin their heads...sucks being an enigma.

Thanks, RS..... It seems a lot of primary care MDs are not well informed on the varieties of tickyitis type diseases. It was the Family Nurse Practitioner who took it upon herself to do the necessary research....at home on her own time yet!!!. I went in for a titer 3 times based on info she found. Bingo!!!! Anaplasmosis it is.......I am the 1st documented case in Mass. Maybe your docs could use a good FNP? My PC was going to let it ride as the flu! ***!!!!