PDA

View Full Version : Wrap Around Hike

WeShallSee
07-24-2013, 09:54
I have posted in the introductions forum about my plan to do the Wrap Around version of the thru hike. So I will be leaving Harper's Ferry headed south on April 17. Once I reach Springer (July), I will take the train or plane to Bangor and continue my hike from Katahdin (July) back south to Harper's Ferry (Oct). At least that is my plan. I was surprised that I didn't get a lot of comments about taking this route. I would really like to hear your comments about this route. Is it crazy or not and what are your reasons? Thanks.

Just Bill
07-24-2013, 10:12
The replies will be about the same as your last thread- not a lot to comment on. For folks wise enough to see it- starting in the middle and going south is a great plan. The only crazy thing about it is that most folks don't do it. The southern end is probably the second hardest section, it's crowded in spring, services are expensive during peak season, the weather can be quite nasty, the trail icy and dangerous at higher elevations, and on and on. I personally would go harpers to maine for the second leg- but given your pace and planning it looks like you are making the right call. On the plus side (of your ME-HF leg) - you will likely hike south with fall, and you'll get started when the SOBO hikers are starting- so you'll make friends too. Some folks will never get over the "end to end" part of a thru-hike, so in that sense some will call you crazy. I would call you intelligent, independent, in for a great hike, and likely to have a better chance at finishing!

Cookerhiker
07-24-2013, 10:25
I have posted in the introductions forum about my plan to do the Wrap Around version of the thru hike. So I will be leaving Harper's Ferry headed south on April 17. Once I reach Springer (July), I will take the train or plane to Bangor and continue my hike from Katahdin (July) back south to Harper's Ferry (Oct). At least that is my plan. I was surprised that I didn't get a lot of comments about taking this route. I would really like to hear your comments about this route. Is it crazy or not and what are your reasons? Thanks.

I thought I did give you some comments but perhaps my memory is fooling me again.:) Anyway, long before you ever established a WB account, I have advocated this exact approach and have said that were I to thruhike the AT (I've already section-hiked the entire trail), I would follow the route that you're taking.

I would modify it as follows, keeping in mind that my preferences regarding weather may not be the same as yours: I'd start almost a month earlier, i.e. March 20. The trade-off is more cold weather in the beginning (but still not as bad as starting at Springer) vs. hot weather at the end. Assuming your hike to Springer takes 3 months, you're talking hiking Georgia in mid-July - not my choice. Even if you get snow in the beginning, I doubt that it will be deep enough to curtail your hike. And you'll have the shelters to yourself for the first 6 weeks or 2 months, an important consideration when the cold rain inevitably hits.

On the other end, given the luxury of time which you may not have, I'd take a month off after Springer and not resume from Katahdin until early August. July is IMO a crappy time to hike most of the AT except the Whites and an August start ensures that you'll experience Fall colors. So you'll experience the joys of Spring hiking with the wildflowers and Fall hiking with the foliage and avoid the sticky heat of mid-summer.

Finally, I know you received some discouraging feedback in your other thread about experiencing cold rain and perhaps some snow for your first month and while that's realistic, don't be put off because it won't be like that 100% of the time. You'll also have some gorgeous sunny days when you see the early wildflowers before the tree canopy leafs out, when the brooks are babbling, when you'll get fabulous views from ridges where you'll see Spring creeping up the slopes. I think you have a great hike plan and encourage you to go for it!

WeShallSee
07-24-2013, 14:29
I do believe you did respond to my last post and I thank you. I just figured that most people would think it not a good idea to hike this way so I expected more reactions. Thanks again for the encouragement and to Just Bill as well.

Just Bill
07-24-2013, 14:44
NOBO, then SOBO, then section hiking, then... Your choice isn't even on the popular list, but it isn't wrong either. Some purists will tell you a non-linear hike is not a thru-hike. Will that bother you to not hike that way? If not, you probably don't want to hear from them anyway:) Many NOBO hikers end up flip-flopping anyway. Although it seems radical, you're just doing a flip flop. At the seven and half months you suggest- your choice has the highest probability of success. You already mentioned all the reasons it makes sense for you- any negative comments won't be deal breakers- HYOH- you already picked the ideal hike for you. Others may argue, but 99% generally agree that completing the trail in one season constitutes a thru. If there's something nagging at you that makes you feel like you're "getting away with one" then sort that out, you may be a closet purist! Once that soul-searching is sorted out-really your only concern at this point is to prepare for the trail.

map man
07-24-2013, 16:47
You might find it informative to talk to Laurie Pottinger, an exraordinarily helpful worker at the Harpers Ferry ATC Headquarters. She is a thru-hiker herself and has talked to a TON of thru-hikers over the years. She is a member here and has talked about the pros and cons of various non-traditional flip-flop itineraries on this web-site and elsewhere. You can contact her either by sending a PM through this web-site -- her member name is "lauriep" -- or by going to the ATC web-site and following the "Contact Us" link to the Harpers Ferry office e-mail and specifiying that it's Laurie you want to contact.

Cookerhiker
07-24-2013, 17:23
Right now, Laurie may still be in NC at the ATC biennial conference.

I believe she's suggested this very hike itinerary herself but feel free to ask her directly.