PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Shelters

Jumpstart
09-05-2002, 15:06
Just an observation on the trail this year, it seemed as though any shelter in the handbook that was described as a "memorial" shelter, or had someone's name associated with it, turned out to be a really snazzy shelter..something to keep in mind when you are deciding whether or not to go that extra 3 or 4 miles....

Kerosene
09-06-2002, 01:21
I think it's great to name shelters after significant friends of the AT. However, it would be even more meaningful and memorable if there was a plaque or some other notice describing the contributions of those past friends.

Crash
09-13-2003, 17:32
It would be great if the memorial shelters display a sign telling hikers something about the person that is being memorialized. Like Ensign Phillip Cowall, or "Pogo".

Lilred
09-14-2003, 09:30
Jumpstart
Great observation on the names of shelters. I'll be sure to keep that in mind, thanks.

Sleepy the Arab
09-14-2003, 11:04
I made the same observation a couple years back during my first thru-hike, and soon discovered it wasn't always true. Isn't William Brien in Harriman a memorial shelter? Poor William...

Speaking of which, how the heck did this Trimpi character get two shelters in his memory? That ain't fair!

A-Train
09-14-2003, 16:12
there arent two trimpis are there?

Sleepy the Arab
09-14-2003, 18:30
Yup. Check out the plaque on the back wall of Pine Swamp Branch shelter just north of Pearisburg. Same shelter design, same dedication to Robert Trimpi.

Does anyone know who this guy is and what he did for this recognition?

A-Train
09-14-2003, 18:33
your right arab. I dont know what he did but i think he was only like 18 or 19 when he died. That sticks out bc he was around my age. a-train