PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide, Hennessy or Speer

sheldon
07-31-2005, 18:32
I am new to these forums, and recently I have decided to take the plunge and try hammock backpacking after discovering that hiking in NH's White Mtns. and being forced to use their tent platforms for most of my trips is not exactly my idea of a "wilderness experience." I am 5'6" and 155lbs and the two hammocks I'm considering are the Hennessy backpacking ultralite a-sym, or Speer's 8.0A. My take so far is that the Hennessy is a bit lighter, less expensive, has a permanently attached bug net, a relatively small canopy (though apparently there are more options on HH's website), bottom entry/exit. As for the Speer, it is top entry, detachable bug net, larger standard canopy, a bit heavier, a bit more expensive. What I cannot determine from the websites are relative comfort while sleeping between the two products (which is the most important feature for me), relative ease of setup/take down between the two, and how well a Big Agnes Horse Thief/insulated air core integrated pad will work in either. I'm thinking that the Speer's hammock as a top-loader might work better with the bag/pad combo as opposed to the Hennessy, but it's pure speculation on my part. I would appreciate any feedback especially from those who may have used or owned both brands, with regards to sleeping comfort, ease of setup and usability with my bag/pad combo. Any other feedback about things I'm not even thinking about would be appreciated as well. BTW, my backpacking will be done primarily in NH, July/Aug/mid Sept, temps usually won't drop below 35-40 degrees at night. Thanks in advance...

Just Jeff
07-31-2005, 20:08
There are several threads on WB, Sgt Rock's and TLB about this topic. I'm sure you've read several. You'll get many opinions and they'll all come down to this - people love them both...it's up to you! Take the plunge!

As for me, I like my HH and love my homemade Speer...it's more comfy than my HH, though at 5'6" you'll probably be just as comfortable in either. I tend to take my Speer more often, unless my destination is very warm or buggy (which hasn't been often, recently). I also like being able to lounge comfortably in my Speer...the HH isn't as comfortable in that regard.

If you get the HH, you'll likely want to get a bigger fly. I'm happy with my JRB 8x8, but Tom offers larger tarps on his website now, too. Ed's hammocks come with 8x10, which is plenty big and accounts for some of the weight difference between the two brands (don't forget about that when comparing weights).

Any reason you're tied to the BA bag/pad? Underquilts are lighter and more comfortable, IMO...but pricey if that's an obstacle for you. Some folks use closed-cell pads and quilts in their hammocks, which are lighter still (and cheaper). I don't like how that feels, though.

Anyway, you'll have to decide which you want based on your style of hiking. I'd suggest the Speer with JRB quilts or a PeaPod.

Youngblood
07-31-2005, 20:22
They are both fine and comfortable backpacking hammocks. The difference in weight is related to the size of the tarps and the amount of coverage you get. You can change out the tarps, so the most important differences to me are the bugnet, ridgeline and entry. I very much like to be able to remove the bugnet because I don't like to use one unless I need it for bugs or warmth or for a wind break... it is much sweeter camping to me without being confined to a bugnet; but I went from tarps to hammocks, not tents to hammocks. I think some folks prefer the closed in feeling while some prefer the openess with their surroundings. The Speer is much easier to use in a seated position when you want to cook dinner or whatever, with the Hennessy it is not particularly stable that way (because of the bugnet you have to sit on the outside of the hammock) and the ridgeline forces you to lean foreward. The bottom entry is more difficult to deal with no matter what you use for bottom side insulation. The Hennessy is pretty sweet in warm buggy places, the side pullouts creates more open space with the bugnetting and the bottom entry doesn't allow flying insects to follow you in as easily. Most of my backpacking is in the Appalachian mountains and I rarely use the bugnetting so my preference is the Speer style hammock with a relatively large rectangular tarp but your preferences may be different.

Youngblood

Just Jeff
07-31-2005, 21:53
One caveat - I haven't used my Speer with a bugnet yet because I've been camping in relatively bug-free mountains and cooler weather (Blue Ridge / Appalachians). That might make a difference in my final analysis.

But I do like being able to cook my dinner from inside the hammock, which I'd never try with the HH.

sheldon
07-31-2005, 22:40
The reason I'm tied to the BA setup is that I already own it and would like to be able to continue to use it with a hammock if possible. Since you own both brands, could you comment on whether either hammock would work better with my bag/pad arrangement? Also could you comment on whether one hammock is easier to set up than the other? Thanks...
There are several threads on WB, Sgt Rock's and TLB about this topic. I'm sure you've read several. You'll get many opinions and they'll all come down to this - people love them both...it's up to you! Take the plunge!

As for me, I like my HH and love my homemade Speer...it's more comfy than my HH, though at 5'6" you'll probably be just as comfortable in either. I tend to take my Speer more often, unless my destination is very warm or buggy (which hasn't been often, recently). I also like being able to lounge comfortably in my Speer...the HH isn't as comfortable in that regard.

If you get the HH, you'll likely want to get a bigger fly. I'm happy with my JRB 8x8, but Tom offers larger tarps on his website now, too. Ed's hammocks come with 8x10, which is plenty big and accounts for some of the weight difference between the two brands (don't forget about that when comparing weights).

Any reason you're tied to the BA bag/pad? Underquilts are lighter and more comfortable, IMO...but pricey if that's an obstacle for you. Some folks use closed-cell pads and quilts in their hammocks, which are lighter still (and cheaper). I don't like how that feels, though.

Anyway, you'll have to decide which you want based on your style of hiking. I'd suggest the Speer with JRB quilts or a PeaPod.

MedicineMan
07-31-2005, 23:16
but there are other manuf. out there like Crazy Creek....best advice is already posted, try them all, get to a meeting of the Southern Hammock Hangers (cant remember their official name but think is is SEHHA for southeast hammock hangers association) and go here on yahoo:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hammock_Camping_News
Whichever one you get experiment and play with all the options available.
I just ordered my second underquilt from Jacks r Better and will post a review on it within the next week or so. Also I've logged over a month of hanging over the last year so there must be something good about it.

neo
07-31-2005, 23:19
hammocks are like apples and oranges,they are both excellent fruit.some people like ond better than the other,i guess hammocks are simular,i prefer hennessey
hammock in combination with the speer sleeping pad extender,the speer over quilt and the jacks r better 8x8 tarp,i like a combo of it all.:cool:neo

http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm

http://www.speerhammocks.com/ (http://www.speerhammocks.com/)

http://jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Products%20List_files/8x8%20SilNyl%20Tarp.htm

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/index.htm

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/6063/sort/1/cat/500/page/14

titanium_hiker
07-31-2005, 23:28
I like speer. However, I haven't tried hennesy. umm... Strapped for cash? make your own!

titanium

Just Jeff
08-01-2005, 05:05
I've never used a BA, but I've heard people say they use BA in both brands. The only real feedback I've heard is that a left-zip bag is much easier to get into with a Hennessey. I guess it wouldn't matter with a top-entry.

I think the webbing that Speer uses makes the hammock easier to setup...you just wrap it around the tree. HH makes you tie the Spectra to the treehugger. Not a big deal, really. On the downside, the webbing is a bit bulkier than the Spectra, but not much.

You also can't connect your tarp directly to the hammock supports in a Speer like you can in a HH. I tie mine directly to the tree anyway, but for the folks who use the HH system like it was designed that might make the HH a bit easier to set up.

Guess that's not much help, huh? Like I said...they're both great and it'll come down to your personal preference. If you're cut out for hammocking, I'm confident you'll be happy with either system.

Youngblood
08-01-2005, 09:00
I used both of the hammocks also. I don't think that ease of setup is a big issue between them. The difference is mostly in the tarp and the bigger tarp requires more stakes, but you get something for that bigger tarp which is more coverage.

Hammocks are different than tents and you will need to acquire some new skills no matter which backpacking hammock you use. Hammocks don't attach themselves to trees, you have to do that and you need to understand how to not damage trees when you attach your hammock to them. You also need to center the hammock at an appropriate height between the trees and have it level (or I like the footend slightly raised) relative to the true horizon (its tricky on some slopes to see what the true horizon is). Hammocks aren't as intuitive as tents to setup, they require some 'hammock sense' so be prepared to spend a little time learning how to use them. The up side to that is that after you set it up you will likely take a little nap in it... you don't usually do that when you set up a new tent for the first time.

Youngblood

titanium_hiker
08-01-2005, 10:24
yeah- the straps can be a bit bulky, but what I've found with my homemade speer type is that (using homemade hammock tubes) I can roll it up and use the webbing to compress it. it's really amazing how small it can get. Due to less than ideal materials, I can get it down to the size of my sleeping bag - about the size of a loaf of bread (a bit bulkier perhaps, length is the same)

Yeah, I like the strapping- really easy to tie using flyfisher's/risk's improved speer knot.

titanium