PDA

View Full Version : Atkins, VA 81/11

CentralVaAt
07-24-2013, 13:43
I'm sectioning this weekend from Bland to the Atkins, 81 area. I'm driving myself to Bland and getting picked up near rt.11/81. I've never been to that area, so where would the best place to meet my ride be? My guidebook says there is a gas station and motel near the interchange...would this be appropriate? Thanks for any help! Anything else I should know about this section!

Rain Man
07-24-2013, 13:59
Just to be clear, you are speaking of an exit off I-81? There is one at Groseclose that I'm familiar with. Has an Exxon and a Shell station, an off-brand motel, and The Barn restaurant, all close together. The Exxon has (had?) a couple of booths inside, as I recall, that would be convenient to sit at while waiting.

Rain Man

Lone Wolf
07-24-2013, 14:02
meet at the shell station. exxon is closed

HikerMom58
07-24-2013, 14:02
Ok... that's a good place to be picked up. Umm... you could plan to meet your ride at the gas station at that interchange or have them meet you at the Barn Restaurant. Y'all might be more comfortable waiting there than the gas station. It's an easy interchange to navigate.

Have a great section hike!! :sun

CentralVaAt
07-24-2013, 14:14
Yes, it's an exit off 81. Exit 54 I believe...is there a good spot for my ride to park if they get there before me and want to hike out to meet me?

Deer Hunter
07-24-2013, 14:38
I left my vehicle at the Barn Restaurant a couple times. I had no problems.

moldy
07-24-2013, 17:38
It's best to park in front of the red barn. Go inside and ask them where they want you to park. I have done that several times. Also let them know when to expect you to return.

Drybones
07-24-2013, 21:09
Ok... that's a good place to be picked up. Umm... you could plan to meet your ride at the gas station at that interchange or have them meet you at the Barn Restaurant. Y'all might be more comfortable waiting there than the gas station. It's an easy interchange to navigate.

Have a great section hike!! :sun

I would wait at the Barn Restraunt, you'll be more comfortable and the foods better.

Lone Wolf
07-24-2013, 21:14
I would wait at the Barn Restraunt, you'll be more comfortable and the foods better.

the chow there is marginal at best. there's benches out front of the exxon

kidchill
07-25-2013, 17:10
IMO, the Barn food was great! Any of those options you choose (gas station, motel, barn, wtvr) will be fine. It's a road that kind of parallels the highway and there isn't a whole lot going on there! The trail comes out right around the motel/gas station (if I remember right).

Drybones
07-25-2013, 20:21
the chow there is marginal at best. there's benches out front of the exxon

I thought the food was great, had a vegetable plate w/cornbread, followed by a cheeseburger, followed by fries.