PDA

View Full Version : The "Georgia Loop"?

Spirit Bear
07-24-2013, 14:10
I recently just finished hiking the GA section of trail on the AT, up to standing indian mountain. I would like to do another test hike in my home state and figured I would attempt the Georgia Loop. My biggest concerns right now are water locations and town resupply points. Does anyone have any helpful links to help me out with this. Also when is an ideal time to hike it? I hiked a section of the Duncan ridge trail last weekend and it was like walking in a jungle, you could barely see the trail.

Spirit Bear
07-24-2013, 14:12
Obviously I know the AT section from Blood mtn to springer mtn having hiked that section. It's the BMT and the DRT I'm clueless about. If anyone has info on these two sections that make up the loop it would be helpful...Thanks.

Hill Ape
07-24-2013, 14:52
you're spot on about the drt, it is not as well maintained a trail by any stretch of the imagination. goes through rougher country too, and water is a problem, and did i mention how rough the trail is, seriously. the bmt does alot of criss crossing with the at around the three forks area. there is little distinction in the scenery or feel of the two trails in that area. overall the ga loop is nice, and very strenuous. not to scare you, but it keeps you in areas that have alot of bear activity. i'd also recommend considering a loop with the bartram trail, combined with the at it makes a 60 mile trip. couple short road sections makes hitching into clayton... easy (show your legs, hairy helps). and warwoman dell area is gorgeous. far as best time, i'd wait out the heat and catch the autumn color.

Two Speed
07-24-2013, 15:13
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?8728-Duncan-Ridge-Trail&highlight=Georgia+Loop

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?8770-Trail-Guide-to-Duncan-Ridge-Trail-and-other-stuff&highlight=Georgia+Loop

SGT Rock
07-24-2013, 16:23
If you are going to do the loop, then you shouldn't need a resupply. You just need to pick a point to park as your start/end point. I tend to like Gooch Gap myself. The biggest issue is going to be keeping yourself with water. The DRT only has about 4 sources to use, and chances are likely you will want to use each one of them to avoid carrying lots of water up and down those hills. In my BMT guide, I cover the profile and mileages for the DRT and the BMT sections, so if you have my BMT guide you are 2/3 of the way through the data. The loop has 22.7 AT miles, 18.6 DRT miles, and 15.9 BMT miles for a 57.2 mile total, not counting side trips like including Stover Creek, Springer, or Blood Mt in the trip.

I've walked the DRT in all seasons, and I've found it to always be passable, but not up to BMT or AT standards. It isn't in a wilderness, but it is very much like wilderness trail when it comes to hiking it. It isn't easy even when the trail is clear, it will test your endurance. Experienced hikers have had trouble finding the trail in the summer time at points, but then again, they are AT experienced hikers. The AT is very accommodating compared to some other trails out there.

Dogwood
07-24-2013, 22:53
I was considering this loop in the future so thanks everyone for the beta.

Spirit Bear
07-25-2013, 00:05
Thanks for the feedback, I might reconsider this lofty goal. I feel I'm still a novice hiker to attempt this for now. I didn't have any problems from Neel's gap to standing indian. From springer to neel's though I was pretty beat, that was my first hike ever and I had about 40lbs on my back. When I went from neel's to standing indian I cut my load down to 15lbs with my base and averaged about 22lbs. I might do this with a more experienced hiker in the future. Would be great if I ever accomplish the infamous GA loop.

SGT Rock
07-25-2013, 00:43
Maybe try it in the late fall when the undergrowth is less up.

Nick P
03-06-2014, 22:40
Is there any 2-3 night loop which includes Blood Mountain? I am at the AT Kick off at Amicolola on Friday, but was looking for a way to see Blood without backtracking on the AT from one gap or another. Can I loop it from Vogel or Dockery Lake, e.g.?
thanks.

blue indian
03-06-2014, 23:37
Is there any 2-3 night loop which includes Blood Mountain? I am at the AT Kick off at Amicolola on Friday, but was looking for a way to see Blood without backtracking on the AT from one gap or another. Can I loop it from Vogel or Dockery Lake, e.g.?
thanks.

Ive done the Coosa backcountry trail out of Vogel state park. Its 13 miles I believe. If you go counter-clock wise (highly suggested) you will hit an intersection with the Duncan Ridge trail. Take the DRT to the AT and hang a left. It will put you about a quarter mile from Blood Mountain summit. Backtrack back down the AT and DRT to catch the Coosa backcountry trail and finish the loop in Vogel. I did this as an overnighter though....but there are a few other trails in Vogel which you might be able to use to turn into 2 nighter. Hope this helps.

Nick P
03-07-2014, 01:13
Ive done the Coosa backcountry trail out of Vogel state park. Its 13 miles I believe. If you go counter-clock wise (highly suggested) you will hit an intersection with the Duncan Ridge trail. Take the DRT to the AT and hang a left. It will put you about a quarter mile from Blood Mountain summit. Backtrack back down the AT and DRT to catch the Coosa backcountry trail and finish the loop in Vogel. I did this as an overnighter though....but there are a few other trails in Vogel which you might be able to use to turn into 2 nighter. Hope this helps.

This is perfect, and timely!
Thanks a bill!
Nick