PDA

View Full Version : Grafton Loop and Others

iceboxsteve
07-24-2013, 15:42
I'm new to the site, posted a bit in Cohos looking for an emergency vacation plan. Things fell through and I have time off next week. I'm looking to get out and get away, hence I was avoiding most of the Whites. I am looking for 3-4 day trip, maybe 2- 2day trips, etc. and I'd be looking for loops, I hate backtracking and am all alone (yes I could shuttle but its late int he game and I have hitched).

Had recommendations on the Grafton Loop. It looks good, quickly scanning reports it loosk like a 4 day trek, can it be done in 3? The mileage I see varies from 30-40ish.

I was also considering the Pemi Loop, feared there might be crowds.

Any other recommendations? The more solitude the better.

Thanks!

hikerboy57
07-24-2013, 15:53
grafton loop is awesome. i did it in 4 nights, 4-1/2 days clockwise and i took my time. the eastern half is the easier half. you could do the western half in 2-3. 3 days for the whole loop would be pushing it a bit.4 is good.

Rasty
07-24-2013, 17:57
I'm new to the site, posted a bit in Cohos looking for an emergency vacation plan. Things fell through and I have time off next week. I'm looking to get out and get away, hence I was avoiding most of the Whites. I am looking for 3-4 day trip, maybe 2- 2day trips, etc. and I'd be looking for loops, I hate backtracking and am all alone (yes I could shuttle but its late int he game and I have hitched).

Had recommendations on the Grafton Loop. It looks good, quickly scanning reports it loosk like a 4 day trek, can it be done in 3? The mileage I see varies from 30-40ish.

I was also considering the Pemi Loop, feared there might be crowds.

Any other recommendations? The more solitude the better.

Thanks!

The Pemi was fairly crowded four weeks ago. I saw about 8 people in 16 miles.

iceboxsteve
07-25-2013, 13:46
The Pemi was fairly crowded four weeks ago. I saw about 8 people in 16 miles.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not...

That amount doesn't seem staggeringly crowed to me.

1azarus
07-25-2013, 14:26
just a heads up about the grafton loop. i agree with hikerboy -- it is awesome, at least the part that I know is, which is only the AT part. I did run into a sweet young couple there a year or so ago and they were overwhelmed with how difficult the hiking was. They ended up hiking there by google searching for a loop hike... Pretty sure they were going to bail out. My sense from your post is that you are looking for a bit of a challenge, so you are probably fine???

iceboxsteve
07-25-2013, 15:48
While I haven't done the AT and I am a flat lander (yay Cape Cod). I should be in good enough shape to make it in 4 days. I grew up in the Southern Berks, most of my backpacking is along the AT there. I'm also an avid trail runner and mountain biker, with a healthy mix of climbing and paddling experience.

And more importantly, I'm very careful. I tend to know when I should back down, turn around, find shelter, etc.

Though the new job keeps me locked in an office and is so busy I don't get out as much as I use to, I'm more than confident I will make it.

1azarus
07-25-2013, 16:48
sounds great! let us know how your hike goes.

RedSoxFan
12-29-2014, 20:07
careful with the rules on the private property portion(s) of the Grafton loop (no campfires)