PDA

View Full Version : Warren Dole's thru-hiking group

Anghiker
07-31-2005, 19:21
I ran into a group slack packing the AT with a support van run by Warren Dole and his wife. They said they had a web site to follow their progress but I can't seem to find it. I was wondering if anyone out there know how I can get on it. I would love to see how they are doing.
They are a group of about 6-7 people and are 18-25 miles a day, rain or shine.
They said they would only go about 16-18 miles when they got into the Whites of NH. I can't imagine them doing this. I hope they do.
Any suggestiongs on finding their website would be great as well
Thanks
Angie

TJ aka Teej
07-31-2005, 22:03
Warren's an interesting fellow. He has a webpage at www.warrendoyle.com (http://www.warrendoyle.com)

Tha Wookie
08-01-2005, 00:20
uh oh, nobody move.... this car could teeter over the cliff any second now....

Sly
08-01-2005, 07:40
Anyone know how many miles Warren is up to now? ;)

SGT Rock
08-01-2005, 07:47
fifty gazillion last count - JUST KIDDING!:D

max patch
08-01-2005, 08:16
Warren's an interesting fellow. He has a webpage at www.warrendoyle.com (http://www.warrendoyle.com)

Getting mellow in your old age?

max patch
08-01-2005, 08:18
Anyone know how many miles Warren is up to now? ;)

Is that miles on the Trail or miles on the van?

Jack Tarlin
08-01-2005, 11:31
For those interested in such matters, Warren's group is scheduled to be at VT. Rt. 12 at the end of today, and at Dartmouth College tomorrow. They plan a day off in Hanover tomorrow.

The expect to summit Katahdin on 3 September.

Jack Tarlin
08-01-2005, 11:33
Correction. They should arrive in Hanover tomorrow afternoon and plan a day off the following day, 2 August.

Nean
08-02-2005, 01:01
I've witnessed a first....

Miss Janet
08-02-2005, 09:14
I heard a rumour that BJ might just join up with Warren's group and hike out of Hanover tomorrow with them...

Lone Wolf
08-02-2005, 09:17
Why not? Jack ain't no stranger to slackpacking.

Nean
08-02-2005, 10:43
Met and visited with 2 former female Doylies this year. While neither considered Warren one of their favorite people they did not speak badly of him either. I met his Dad this year too, very nice man. First time I met WD (89) he was wearing a name card that said Guess Who. A little too much ego for my taste and that seems to be the main problem most folks have with him- sorta the eastern Ray. I've met him several times and enjoyed his stories but I doubt he'd remember me. I'm unable to take exception with his young wife- as my better half is half my age. I'd also like to point out that the group that was hitting up the churches in Shady this spring was not WDs group as I "wondered who" on a thread back then. I say HYOH Warren, and good luck!

Jack Tarlin
08-03-2005, 14:18
As Wolf and others can attest, Jack is indeed no stranger to slackpacking; I just prefer not to engage in it for 125 consecutive days. As to Janet and Wolf's speculation that I might have found some new hiking partners here in Hanover, I'm afraid this is not to be......I'd sooner be found hiking with Michael Moore and Rosie O'Donnell, preferably on a section with a lot of cliffs.

Lone Wolf
08-03-2005, 14:23
Jesus! Those 2 fat asses would have heart attacks just THINKING about hiking. They might hike thru a drive-thru for a coupla of Hardees Thick B urgers each. :D

Mags
08-03-2005, 14:26
Met and visited with 2 former female Doylies this year.

A person I know in town fairly well (we go on hikes together once in a while) was a Doylie back in the early 1980s. Spoke well of his time as it "allowed him to do other adventures" (including the CDT back in the mid-late 80s. I should say the Continental Divide..the "T" part was not much on the ground then!)

This person has been in a 3+ yr relationship with a woman about 15-20 yrs younger as well.

All these thruhiker guys dating women quite a bit younger. Something to look forward to in the coming years. :)

Mags
08-03-2005, 14:27
.I'd sooner be found hiking with Michael Moore and Rosie O'Donnell, preferably on a section with a lot of cliffs.

WALK IN THE WOODS, PART II :D

Lone Wolf
08-03-2005, 14:30
I've been with Gypsy over 5 years now. She's 28. I'm 46.

Footslogger
08-03-2005, 14:31
All these thruhiker guys dating women quite a bit younger. Something to look forward to in the coming years. :)=======================================
Works for me ....

'Slogger

Jack Tarlin
08-03-2005, 14:39
Geez, Slogger, it's not like you have much choice in the matter.

At your age, they're ALL "quite a bit younger."

Footslogger
08-03-2005, 14:50
Geez, Slogger, it's not like you have much choice in the matter.

At your age, they're ALL "quite a bit younger."================================
Hey now ...I resemble that statement. Then again, age is just a number. This chassis may have 56 years on it but I can still hold my own. May take me all night to do what I used to do all night ...but the result is the same.

'Slogger

alanthealan
08-05-2005, 10:27
I thought the group was great. Some of the funniest folks on the trail. To bad they hike so fast. I thought Terri was cute... I'm jelious.

Skyline
08-05-2005, 10:39
WALK IN THE WOODS, PART II :D

Mags,

I had almost the same thought as soon as I read the post from Baltimore Jack. Now which one do ya suppose would most exemplify Bryson, and which one Katz?

Skyline

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-05-2005, 10:50
At 56 yrs, I submit that Slogger is just broken in well. We are more broken down than broken in....

Footslogger
08-05-2005, 11:12
[QUOTE=Frolicking Dinosaurs]At 56 yrs, I submit that Slogger is just broken in well.
===========================================
Hey ...I like the sound of that (I think ??) Broken In and Trail Tested !!

'Slogger

Alligator
08-05-2005, 11:19
[QUOTE=Frolicking Dinosaurs]At 56 yrs, I submit that Slogger is just broken in well.
===========================================
Hey ...I like the sound of that (I think ??) Broken In and Trail Tested !!

'Slogger Rides nice, comes with well worn saddle?

Mags
08-05-2005, 11:19
Mags,

I had almost the same thought as soon as I read the post from Baltimore Jack. Now which one do ya suppose would most exemplify Bryson, and which one Katz?

Skyline

:)

Well Moore was a Boyscout (and an NRA member) so probably has rudimentary outdoor skills. Call him Bryson.

Tough decision in any case for which is which!

Footslogger
08-05-2005, 11:25
Rides nice, comes with well worn saddle?=======================================
Is that like "Ridden hard and put away wet" ??

'Slogger

Alligator
08-05-2005, 11:28
=======================================
Is that like "Ridden hard and put away wet" ??

'Slogger LOL I'll have to save that.