PDA

View Full Version : Southern AT sections

Wanderlust77
07-24-2013, 21:33
Not sure if this is in the right forum, but figured I would give it a shot. I am looking to do a 4 day/3 night section of the AT at the end of September. This will be the first hike for my buddy so we are trying to limit it to (roughly) 10 miles per day. With that said, I really want to do the most scenic section possible. Shuttle or loop hikes work, but if its a shuttle hike, shuttle recommendations would also be greatly appreciated. I suppose we wouldn't need to stick to the AT but, since we are driving from central Florida, we really don't want to go much further north than GSMNP.

Any ideas?

MuddyWaters
07-24-2013, 21:57
Any of the AT in NC or the GSMNP would be a great hike at that time.

Leaving a vehicle at a safe place on the trail, gets to be more of an issue.
There are several OK places in the GSMNP , not so many at other trailheads

However, the GSMNP is a big hassle if you dont know how far you can hike. You must make reservations for campgrounds and shelters, and stick to them. This will dictate your daily mileage, rain, shine, injury, etc.

Lots of people that can shuttle you for the AT from Fontana down as far as Springer. The AT really doesnt have that many views, expect 1 or 2 a day. But the NC section has more than average.

You cant really go wrong with any hike from Springer to GSMNP, its all good.

illabelle
07-24-2013, 22:29
Yes the Smokies are a hassle, but they have better views than some other areas. If you can work your way through the reservation/permit process, late Sept would be a great time to hike from Newfound Gap down to Fontana - that's about 40 miles. If you think that might be pushing it, you could start at Clingman's Dome, which is only 32 miles. Or the north half (which I think has pretty good views as well) is only 30.

daddytwosticks
07-25-2013, 07:17
Did a 4 day, 3night hike over this past Memorial Day from Mooney Gap (Standing Indian area) to the NOC. Short first day, then 3 longish days (maybe 11 miles?). Great hike with lots of views! Nice to finish at the NOC for food, beer, and a shower. Safe place to leave a car. :)

Rain Man
07-25-2013, 09:00
I agree with GSMNP hike suggestions. Have never had a problem making reservations, but did do them a month in advance.

Another is start at the northern boundary of the GSMNP (easy access off I-40) and hike to Hot Springs, NC. Some nice variety: Standing Bear Farm hostel, Max Patch, Hot Springs itself. Somewhat remote and rugged.

Similarly, start out of Franklin, NC and hike north through Wesser, NC (home of one of the NOC (Nantahala Outdoor Centers)), over Siler Bald and perhaps Wayah Bald.

Or start at Wesser and hike to Fontana.

But it's hard to go wrong with any 3 or 4-day section of the AT in that area.

Rain:sunMan

moldy
07-25-2013, 09:03
4 days, 3 nights. Why not start at the start. Did you notice that it's 31 miles from Springer Mt to Neel's Gap? You won't find a better place to hike. Park your car at FS-42 Springer Mt parking lot and arrange for a shuttle back from Mountain Crossings.