PDA

View Full Version : SNP South District - Big Run

Coffee
07-25-2013, 12:50
I'm thinking of taking advantage of the better weather we're having to get away for a quick overnight in SNP this weekend. I have spent a fair bit of time in the central and northern districts but have not hiked the south district at all.

I'm thinking of doing a circuit involving Big Run with tentative plans to park my car at the Brown Mountain overlook, take the Brown Mountain Trail, head down to the Big Run Portal area, then ascend Big Run Portal trail and the big run loop trail and then take the AT back north to the Brown Mountain overlook.

I know that there is plenty of camping along Big Run but I kind of want to stay up a bit higher to enjoy the cooler air and hopefully have fewer bugs to deal with ... There looks to be some flattish terrain just after reaching the Rocky Mtn summit on the brown mountain trail. Are there dry camping possibilities up there? If so, I could haul in some water since I'm going to start at the Brown Mountain overlook and dry camp up there.

Thanks.

Onedawg
07-25-2013, 13:09
I know that there is plenty of camping along Big Run but I kind of want to stay up a bit higher to enjoy the cooler air and hopefully have fewer bugs to deal with ...
Thanks.

I was in that area last weekend, the bugs were relentless.

Coffee
07-25-2013, 13:16
I was in that area last weekend, the bugs were relentless.

Thanks, that's good to know.

My goal is really to get a final training hike in before leaving for the John Muir Trail next month. Maybe I'll skip the camping and just do a loop in a long day while still taking my full pack. I find that the bugs are more tolerable when moving.

Coffee
07-27-2013, 10:40
I put on my full pack and day hiked the Big Run watershed, then the AT south to the Jones Run and Doyles River areas yesterday. Temps were about perfect and the bugs were actually not all that bad while moving. When I stopped, small flies were a problem but no mosquitoes or ticks. It's a rare day in July with comfortable temps and humidity so great for a day on the trail. Jones Run and Doyles River remind me a little bit of the Rose River area further north. Big Run is a very large watershed and looks like it may offer more secluded camping opportunities. Another area to come back to in the fall...

Blissful
08-01-2013, 15:49
I'd camp in the Big Run area. Delightful. Hang your food bag though.

Malto
08-01-2013, 21:44
There's blueberries up in them their hills. Eat plenty!

Blissful
08-07-2013, 20:07
There's blueberries up in them their hills. Eat plenty!

Yes Rockytop trail has a ton of bushes.