PDA

View Full Version : Snickers turmoil

On Track
07-25-2013, 16:05

Snickers fans (thinking of one true loyalist but there are probably more of you):

Are you OK with this new variety of Snickers?

Thought of you right away soon as I devoured one; hope they are not causing you 'issues.'

flemdawg1
07-25-2013, 16:18
Its an energy bar with the word Snickers on the label in an attempt to trick you into thinking it tastes good. Like any other food, try it at home before venturing out on the trail with a pack full of them.

I actually thought this was a thread about other Snickers candy varieties like, dark chocolate, almond, PB. And all of them are excellent, you just can't find them in the 6-pack quantity.

Lone Wolf
07-25-2013, 16:18
i never ate a snickers bar on the AT

Rasty
07-25-2013, 16:19
Where is the Chocolate?

Just Bill
07-25-2013, 16:27
Dark chocolate and almond varieties are excellent- I have occasionally seen case quantities at Sam's Club

WingedMonkey
07-25-2013, 16:33
I never ate an energy bar on the AT.

TD55
07-25-2013, 17:07
i never ate a snickers bar on the AT

Why? Is there another candy bar you prefer? Did you devour the Snickers as you walked out of the store and before you made it to the trailhead? Or. do you just not care for chocolate candy bars?

Rasty
07-25-2013, 17:42
I like the 4 piece Snickers King Size Peanut Butter bar. 4 bites and done.

Coffee
07-25-2013, 18:06
I'm using snickers fun size ... Five of them are approximately equal to what the old king size used to be. Easier to eat over the course of a day and they fit into the nooks and crannies of my bear canister which makes for efficient packing (for trips to the sierra).

TD55
07-25-2013, 18:31
I'm using snickers fun size ... Five of them are approximately equal to what the old king size used to be. Easier to eat over the course of a day and they fit into the nooks and crannies of my bear canister which makes for efficient packing (for trips to the sierra).
Do you chew them or just swallow them whole?

Coffee
07-25-2013, 19:27
Do you chew them or just swallow them whole?

Gotta chew them. These are ~ 30% of size of regular snickers, not the "miniatures" tiny bite size ones....

Mags
07-25-2013, 20:06
Mmmm..Snickers. STill my trail food of choice. :)

(Though, I do get care packages of dark German chocolate now from the mother-in-law. Ist gut! Ja! Ja!)

Rasty
07-25-2013, 20:55
Mmmm..Snickers. STill my trail food of choice. :)

(Though, I do get care packages of dark German chocolate now from the mother-in-law. Ist gut! Ja! Ja!)

Never would have thought you would like Snickers bars.

leaftye
07-25-2013, 21:34
I've never had a Snickers on a hike, but it'd usually be the bar that I'd prefer over all others, including "energy" and protein bars. If it's below freezing I'll go with a 3 Musketeers.

I just found this. Now I want to try them out before winter.
http://www.thenaptimechef.com/2011/08/the-frozen-candy-bar-taste-test-naptime-simple-tips/

Mrs Baggins
07-26-2013, 04:49
I loved the Snickers "Charged" bars that were out in 2008. When they disappeared off store shelves I found them on-line and ordered a case of them. I also love regular Snickers. But as much as I love almonds and chocolate I cannot eat the Snickers Almond bar - it's just vile. It tastes like artificial almond flavoring. Haven't tried the peanut butter version yet. I never hike without a Snickers to snack on.

moytoy
07-26-2013, 06:34
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2ea4b4oNQ1r0jlbgo1_500.jpgvshttp://img42.imageshack.us/img42/7882/snickersx.jpg

zero is my bar of choice:)

daddytwosticks
07-26-2013, 07:11
+1 on the Snicker's Fun Size. Like mini shots of fuel on my hikes. :)

tarditi
07-26-2013, 08:43
I had snickers on the AT, but they weren't as satisfying as I would have expected... tasty? Sure, but they just left me wanting for more.

I found lemonheads (my hiking buddy had a big supply and shared) to be much more of a morale/energy boost.
Energy bars: I brought plenty of clif bars and, while I usually enjoy them, they tasted very dry and I felt like I had a dessicant in my mouth or something!
I also had a couple gatorade shotblocks and don't think they did anything at all.

Hiking all day, each day (we were section hiking, no zero days!), is very different from an event lasting a few hours - even if very strenuous like a marathon, mini, or tri... the fuel in the meals was much more important than ingesting something that might give a quick boost - only to plummet later when the sugar wears off and insulin kicks in.

Mags
07-26-2013, 10:32

Thru-hiking and my daily food are two different things. ;)

Hiking all day, each day (we were section hiking, no zero days!), is very different from an event lasting a few hours - even if very strenuous like a marathon, mini, or tri... the fuel in the meals was much more important than ingesting something that might give a quick boost - only to plummet later when the sugar wears off and insulin kicks in.

Yeah...trying to sustain 23 MPD over 500 miles on mainly Snickers would be hard!

Oh wait! :D

http://pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=12801&g2_serialNumber=2

treesloth
07-26-2013, 11:51

Yeah...trying to sustain 23 MPD over 500 miles on mainly Snickers would be hard!

http://pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=12801&g2_serialNumber=2

OMG you did a CC pie chart. This is where I'd say that you should really get out more, but, that wouldn't make much sense I guess I guess. :)

Mags
07-26-2013, 12:10
OMG you did a CC pie chart. This is where I'd say that you should really get out more, but, that wouldn't make much sense I guess I guess. :)

People invariably ask "What do you eat on a thru-hike?". The CT was short enough where I said "Hell..I'll keep track of it".

Rather amusing, actually, as I am normally not that detailed focused when it comes to hiking! :)

Odd Man Out
07-26-2013, 12:39
I find it interesting that they promote these as "energy bars" when they actually have less energy (i.e. calories).

They have more vitamins, protein, and potassium but not more energy. Regular Snickers have more carbs and fats. These give you energy.

Drybones
07-26-2013, 18:15

You learn to like a lot of things on the trail you normally wouldn't eat.

Drybones
07-26-2013, 18:25
I ate a lot of snickers but only when I couldn't find fried cherry or apple pie. I could eat several snickers and didn't feel like I ate anything. One of those 490 calorie cherry or apple fried pies would hold me for a while in the morning.

TD55
07-26-2013, 18:29
How long do snickers last when hiking in July and August. Sure, they get gooey and melt, but you can eat them with a spork and scrape the wrapper clean. Or you can let them cool down at night and "re-solidify", but do they ever get mouldy or stinky or inedible? Do they last longer than cheese? And do most folks know that snickers are supposed to be eaten while sipping a refreshing soda pop?

Drybones
07-26-2013, 19:58
And do most folks know that snickers are supposed to be eaten while sipping a refreshing soda pop?

I prefer Woodford Reserve.

MuddyWaters
07-27-2013, 10:59
Snickers is great in cool weather.
Oatmeal pies and peanut M&Ms are great anytime

You have to want to eat your food.

icdaywee
08-26-2013, 13:21
I am ok with any variety of snickers.

kidchill
08-26-2013, 17:06
I tried this on my thru and was less then impressed. Of course, I got sick of snickers after a while...I was hitching outta the smokies to Gatlinburg for the night and the guy giving me a ride was excited..."Wait, wait a minute! I HAVE a surprise for you!!" He pulls out a snickers bar and thrusts it into my hand...I laid it down on the dash..."Thanks, but I'm OFF snickers." I switched to Payday sometime in southern VA.

Sailing_Faith
08-26-2013, 17:10

Mags,

just reading that pie chart makes my stomach hurt!

leaftye
08-26-2013, 17:14
I ate a lot of snickers but only when I couldn't find fried cherry or apple pie. I could eat several snickers and didn't feel like I ate anything. One of those 490 calorie cherry or apple fried pies would hold me for a while in the morning.

That must have been this year when Hostess was effectively out of business. Fortunately that's over and their pies and Twinkies are back on shelves.

Grampie
08-26-2013, 20:55
My thru-hike lasted for 201 days. I probably ate 150 Snickers during it.

Del Q
08-26-2013, 21:02
he was on a snickers sugar high when he did this chart, that is what I heard anyway

Miner
08-26-2013, 21:10
My favorite trail snack is a snickers bar smothered in spoonfuls of peanut butter. Plenty of energy for the next climb.