PDA

View Full Version : Training for JMT 2014

walks2much
07-25-2013, 20:25
Hey I am looking for maybe a training partner or a hiking/camping/backpacking buddy in the LA area. Im 28 year old male, going to school pretty fit, no issues hiking long distances, still getting my backpacking gear together. If you want to train or just hike let me know, maybe we can do JMT 2014..... hit me back PM..owww I am also thinking of doing Rim to Rim next year Late March early April well.

verysimple
07-30-2013, 00:55
I am on East coast, but also looking for someone to hike with in 2014.. All my friends are not into hiking or cant handle it or married..

Dogwood
07-30-2013, 01:12
Get out of the LA area or at least up into the San Gabriel Mountains. The stairs would be good training for a GCNP Rim to Rim or R-R-R or JMT thru.

DaFireMedic
08-02-2013, 22:28
I live at the foot of Mt Baldy in the San Gabriels. There are several good training hikes up there, Mt. Baldy, Cucamonga Peak, Ontario Peak, Three T's, etc and you can get some time at 9 or 10k altitude. I am usually on the Icehouse Canyon trail several times a week, although I injured my knee at work and am out of commission for at least a month. I wouldn't mind doing some hikes (when I'm healed), but due to having a wife and kids its difficult to commit to anything on a regular basis. If you need someone to hike with out this way, let me know. I am familiar with the JMT and some other areas of the Sierras and enjoy talking about them.

I just turned 48 the other day, but I'm willing to wait should you fall behind......:)

Coffee
08-03-2013, 04:08
I start the JMT in a little over three weeks. I'm training for a marathon in October so that has been my primary physical activity in recent months. In addition, I have hiked a number of 12-15 mile training hikes in Shenandoah NP with my pack including one 24 mile day. Section hiked SNP N District in April and did a Grand Canyon rim to rim in early June. The only missing piece for me is training at elevation but I'm taking a couple of days in Yosemite Valley prior to starting and I feel good about my training so far. We will see if it pays off or not ...

DaFireMedic
08-03-2013, 20:32
I start the JMT in a little over three weeks. I'm training for a marathon in October so that has been my primary physical activity in recent months. In addition, I have hiked a number of 12-15 mile training hikes in Shenandoah NP with my pack including one 24 mile day. Section hiked SNP N District in April and did a Grand Canyon rim to rim in early June. The only missing piece for me is training at elevation but I'm taking a couple of days in Yosemite Valley prior to starting and I feel good about my training so far. We will see if it pays off or not ...

If you are going southbound and take a day or two in the Valley to acclimate, you won't have any problems. With that kind of training, any shortcomings will go away after the first few days, if they appear at all. You are probably in better shape than 95% or more of the people who start the JMT.

walks2much
08-12-2013, 17:36
Hey Firemedic ill definitely keep you in mind, once September gets here it should be prime hiking temps hopefully. You know how the Weather gets in Southern CA. Hope you get well soon as well. I should be able to keep up I run at least 20 minutes about 2.2 miles, hoping to it three miles in 20 minutes. I almost a gym rat at this point as well, but nothing beats hands on experiences.

Dogwood
08-13-2013, 03:43
April for a R to R is a good time to do it. It's not that hard if you pace yourself. doing it in one or two days now that's harder.

Berserker
08-19-2013, 13:13
If there is a wildfire in the area make sure to smoke several cartons of cigarettes before you go...then your lungs will be used to the smoke :D.

Sorry, couldn't resist that as I just spent 6 days in the smoke from the Aspen fire on my JMT thru.

walks2much
10-21-2013, 16:14
its the time of the season in southern california to start hiking again, the mornings are cool enough with the temp staying pretty much bearable until about 1