PDA

View Full Version : sightings on the trail

kerosenehat
07-25-2013, 21:03
Has anyone seen anything strange.

Sarcasm the elf
07-25-2013, 21:26
There's a lot of "strange" on the trail you'll have to be more specific. ;)

Sarcasm the elf
07-25-2013, 21:38
If you're talking about places that are supposedly haunted, here is a link to an older thread in the subject:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?67093-Haunts

Trebor66
07-25-2013, 21:44
A saw a guy named Dakota Joe a while ago. That was definitely strange....

Different Socks
07-25-2013, 21:54
Witnessed a falling star hit the ground nearby when staying at the Overmt Shelter in VA.

pafarmboy
07-25-2013, 22:40
Saw a hiker changing a diaper on his kid when I came around a corner near Bear Mountain, NY. That was definitely a first.

kerosenehat
07-26-2013, 05:50
What about ufo's, or loss of time? I am nutso but not too crazy. I believe in EVERYTHING. ufos yeti etc.
Ok so don't laugh too hard. Here goes, When in Maryland last week my brother and I where hiking sobo past reno monument road, past the intersection of the at and the road that leads to those antenna/satellite dishes that the AT skirts. And instead of taking 30 ish minutes it took 1.5 hours to just get "around" the antenna/ dishes. So I wake up Saturday morning with a 3 inch mark on my right side near my waistline. It look like it has been "sealed" burned or cauterized more than a scratch but no recollection of how it got there. . But my brother and I agree that that section maybe 3/4 of a mile at most should have taken less...

HikerMom58
07-26-2013, 08:07
What about ufo's, or loss of time? I am nutso but not too crazy. I believe in EVERYTHING. ufos yeti etc.
Ok so don't laugh too hard. Here goes, When in Maryland last week my brother and I where hiking sobo past reno monument road, past the intersection of the at and the road that leads to those antenna/satellite dishes that the AT skirts. And instead of taking 30 ish minutes it took 1.5 hours to just get "around" the antenna/ dishes. So I wake up Saturday morning with a 3 inch mark on my right side near my waistline. It look like it has been "sealed" burned or cauterized more than a scratch but no recollection of how it got there. . But my brother and I agree that that section maybe 3/4 of a mile at most should have taken less...

Humm...LOL. That's really strange. I don't know what else to say!! That is very very strange indeed.

da fungo
07-26-2013, 08:19
Maybe the next time you're out for a hike and spot some mushrooms, you might want to leave them in place, instead of adding them to your ramen.

Ground Control
07-26-2013, 10:21
I got a little lost in the archives reading creepy story threads. None scared me more than this one:

here is a story that is not ghost or UFO, i had a english teacher in high school who had hiked the long trail southbound late fall... said she saw only a handful of people her whole hike. she had brought a digital camera to photograph the journey. When she finished the trail she went to go look at her pictures and there where pictures of her sleeping in her tent or in a shelter. The dates on the photos suggested this had happend 10 nights in a row. she didn't take those pictures she didn't hike with anyone. thats a good way to screw with someone.

original thread here:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?50281-Anybody-ever-have-a-spooky-experience/page5

Wow. Imagine deciding to look over your digital pics on day eight and having the revelation of what had happened on the previous 7 nights. <shudder>

T.S.Kobzol
07-26-2013, 10:23
I have yet to see ufo's on the trail but I have seen many mofo's on the AT

Josh Calhoun
07-29-2013, 11:18
Just a ton of strange people! And 2 very aggressive beavers!

hikerboy57
07-29-2013, 11:21
Just a ton of strange people! And 2 very aggressive beavers! I read your journal on trail journals I was laughing my butt off

lambsknoll
07-29-2013, 12:52
Humm...LOL. That's really strange. I don't know what else to say!! That is very very strange indeed.

Aye, twas the snallygaster.

squilax
07-30-2013, 09:13
Nothing recently, but back in September of 2001 my wife and kids were hiking with me in MD. We got off to a late start around 6:30 PM from the parking lot at I70 and 40 just south of Pine Knob shelter. We were headed down to Turner's Gap for the night and within an hour or so n the trail, it got dark. We continued with flashlights past Washington Monument and once we were up on the next ridge we heard what we thought was a bunch of kids running through the woods whooping and hollering. This continued all the way along the ridge until we started downhill to Dahlgren Chapel. When we hiked back to the car the next day, we took notice that there were not any houses close by, so we chalked it up to the spirits of civil war soldiers during the battle of South Mountain. Then last week, a buddy and I hiked into the backpacker campground and set up camp. He hung his hammock ust inside the woods behind one of the tent sites. When we turned in for the night, he told me he had a "feeling of dread" when getting into his hammock. It was only about 10 feet or so inside the woods, but he couldn't sleep there because of this feeling, so we shared my tent that night. Creepy stuff going on there.

Omaha_Ace
07-30-2013, 09:31
Has anyone seen anything strange.

I, myself, am strange and unusual...

Pedaling Fool
07-30-2013, 10:11
http://theathiker.com/ghost-on-the-appalachian-trail-post/

jimmyjam
07-30-2013, 10:27
I saw something a little strange a couple of days ago. I was between Buena Vista and Salt Log gap and along comes this guy out for a day hike. What was strange was that he had a hiking pole in one hand, a bottle of water in the other and this huge 2 foot long oven mitt hanging off his belt. No day day pack. The oven mitt was swing back and forth as he walked. I asked him what was up with the oven mitt and he said that was how he carried his extra water. Ten minutes later it started to rain so I hope he had some rain gear stashed in there too.

nu2hike
07-30-2013, 10:34
I was hiking on the Alabama section of the Pinhoti Trail in May. Sometime after midnight my dog woke me up barking like crazy! When I got out of my hammock I saw twenty or thirty glowing images fluttering all around my campsite! Luna moths!
This was my first time to see them! This may not fit into the category of strange but it definitely comes under the heading of AWESOME!

litefoot2000
07-30-2013, 10:39
The Goodyear blimp flew over while I was at the Chatfield Shelter just before Atkins, VA.

Pedaling Fool
05-12-2016, 10:14
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/11/us/politics/hillary-clinton-aliens.html?_r=1

Mr. Bumpy
05-12-2016, 10:36
Perhaps a dozen years ago there was an inflatable green alien hanging out at the privy at Hogback Ridge shelter.

dudeijuststarted
05-12-2016, 10:44
Well, chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear, and when I do its something..unusual.

daveiniowa
05-12-2016, 15:54
Years ago, maybe '93, when I still lived in Georgia, my friend and I went up one evening for a quick hike up trey mountain. Well I misjudged the time of day and it got dark on us, no flash light, before we knew it we were off the trail in the dark on the side of trey mountain, next thing you know I literally step on some guy and his girl getting busy curled up in a sleeping bag, after an awkward minute or so he gave me an extra flash light and we found our way back to the trail and back down to our car.

moldy
05-12-2016, 16:01
I kid you not, I saw some trail club joker with a paint brush and a can of brown paint, he was painting over White Blazes. I told him that people need those things so they can stay on the trail. He said there were too many and it was unsightly. That was the same year that Inchworn got off trail up in Maine and died. I kid you not.

Pedaling Fool
05-28-2016, 15:16
Some interesting reports by hikers and rangers... http://www.ranker.com/list/creepy-park-ranger-stories/rosa-pasquarella?var=2&utm_expid=16418821-195.9amjsgQXTlqG8HVBcWKYcQ.1&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

35king
05-31-2016, 01:21
First overnight backpacking hike I went on, the night was going to be 29 deg. So no one was around. After hiking all day, we come up to the spot where you're supposed to be able to cross the river (water was too high) on the other side, a dude was sitting on the ground naked as a jaybird and a women pulling up her bottoms behind a shrub.. Lol.

egilbe
05-31-2016, 06:16
I kid you not, I saw some trail club joker with a paint brush and a can of brown paint, he was painting over White Blazes. I told him that people need those things so they can stay on the trail. He said there were too many and it was unsightly. That was the same year that Inchworn got off trail up in Maine and died. I kid you not.

Was it in Maine?

moldy
06-01-2016, 12:12
No it was Virginia

CamelMan
06-01-2016, 13:28
Some interesting reports by hikers and rangers... http://www.ranker.com/list/creepy-park-ranger-stories/rosa-pasquarella?var=2&utm_expid=16418821-195.9amjsgQXTlqG8HVBcWKYcQ.1&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

I wish I could hike at night without a headlamp.

Kerosene
06-01-2016, 14:49
Encountered a NOBO sectioner in southern NY lugging one of those big yellow metal Tonka dump trucks that little kids sit on. She had bought it at a flea market in Englishtown, NJ when she was off-trail for a bit and was carrying it to CT to give to her 3-year old nephew. Now that's dedication.

SGTJones
06-01-2016, 15:43
If you want to be freaked out for a few weeks go listen to some missing 411 interviews with David Paulides. He even has a few cases of disappearances from the northern AT section.

CamelMan
06-01-2016, 18:22
^ Any good links? I figure some of these are just people behaving strangely because they're hypotheric and hungry. I've heard that people who are hypothermic eventually start to feel hot. Some of it might be instinctual hiding behavior. It's probably not bigfoot. :rolleyes: