PDA

View Full Version : Pillows

Trebor66
07-25-2013, 21:46
What's your favorite pillow? Shoving some dirty clothes in a stuff sack, an inflatable, DIY, or none at all?

Double Wide
07-25-2013, 21:57
I've got a sweet fleece-lined stuff sack from REI that I use as my clothes bag. At night, I turn it inside out, put the clothes back in it, and then have a fleece pillow. It's a great piece of gear that I absolutely love.

Ezra
07-25-2013, 22:32
The nearest rock laying outside the tent. :D

Actually I just clothes.

Feral Bill
07-25-2013, 22:35
Stuff sack full of clothes. Maybe a boot in a pinch.

MuddyWaters
07-25-2013, 22:38
I keep my minimal clothing,headnet, puffy, gloves, whatever in a 5 gal paint strainer mesh bag. It weighs 0.5 oz. Costs $3 for two. I twist it up the excess length, and it makes a round pillow, about 10" in diameter, secure it with a rubber band.

Ive been doing it this way for a couple years. It makes a good pillow, its as light as it get, its OK against side of face too. My shoes usually go under the end of my sleeping pad to incline my head slightly as well.

If im wearing all clothing I can use raingear , if im wearing that too, its OK just using the shoes under the pad, esp with inflatable pad. Leave a gap between then, put them under toe-first, and it will cradle your head nicely while inclining it slightly.

Sly
07-25-2013, 22:44
Besides a food bag? A dry, balled up Frogg Togg jacket makes a nice pillow.

Odd Man Out
07-25-2013, 23:22
...its OK just using the shoes under the pad, esp with inflatable pad. Leave a gap between then, put them under toe-first, and it will cradle your head nicely while inclining it slightly.

I like the shoes idea. I will try that.

Rocket Jones
07-26-2013, 06:34
I'll have to try the shoes thing. I was using a Thermarest compressible, but recently started using a Montbell inflatable on top of a small square of 2" foam. It packs very small, is very light, but most importantly it has enough height to be comfortable. I'm a side sleeper, so the 'clothes in a stuff sack' method never really worked for me.

snifur
07-26-2013, 06:50
I use my pack or nothing at all. Pillows are for soft people.

daddytwosticks
07-26-2013, 07:08
Mostly extra clothes in a stuff sack. In warmer weather when I don't carry too much excess clothing, I bring kid's inflatable water wings to "pump up" my makeshift pillow. Got that idea from Whiteblaze. :)

Edro
07-26-2013, 08:28
Im spoiled... i use a Thermarest Compressable.

Sandy of PA
07-26-2013, 08:50
Exped air pillow, 3 ozs. of good sleep.

The Ace
07-26-2013, 09:09
I use a FlexAir Ultralight Pillow. It weighs only 16 grams! I slide my shirt over the end of my sleeping pad and put the pillow underneath the shirt. This holds the pillow in place all night.

http://www.ultralightdesigns.com/products/sleeping/flexAirPillow.html

Odd Man Out
07-26-2013, 09:17

In that case, maybe you could sleep like and Egyptian. I've seen these in museums.

http://www.investigateegypt.co.uk/images/CS_20080911_Wooden%20headrest.jpg

Nooga
07-26-2013, 11:24
Exped. Good sleep is worth a weight penalty....

DeerPath
07-26-2013, 11:36
I use to use my clothes in a bag, but never got the neck support I need. Got an Exped Pillow, gives me the support but slides around on the pad. I now put the Exped Pillow inside a Thermarest Pillow Case and sleep is good.

treesloth
07-26-2013, 11:41

You would know, tough guy. No pillows at home either? I'm impressed.

Kerosene
07-26-2013, 11:53
I've tried a lot of different pillows on the trail, including the Exped, inflatable pillows, fleece-covered foam segments, etc. haven't tried the boot toe idea above, but I also use a short NeoAir pad that only goes from neck to hips (with my pack under my feet).

My most comfy pillow is an empty 4L waterbag (4 oz), partially inflated with air and wrapped in my fleece. However, I only bring the waterbag when I'm hiking with someone else in dry country.

Usually I bring an inflatable "water wing" (<1 oz, $1 for 2 wings) that is cut in half with two inflatable chambers. I put that in a stuff sack with a few clothes, again wrapped in my fleece.

capehiker
07-26-2013, 13:55
I'm a side sleeper with broad shoulders. I have an Exped pillow and still don't get the lift I need to be comfortable. I'm considering combining the Exped pillow with a fleece lined stuff sack and sticking the Exped inside and boosting the height with clothes. I'm more than happy to be labeled as "soft". I'm going to be spending 5-6 months on the trail and I value a good nights sleep and I'm willing to add another few ounces to my pack weight.

Zippy Morocco
07-26-2013, 14:11
Exped Ultralight but would probably get the red one next time.

leaftye
07-26-2013, 14:12
Pillows are for soft people.

I'm not soft, I'm big boned.

Dogwood
07-26-2013, 15:15
Not so much a favorite pillow but I often use my shoes as a pillow with an empty dry stuff sack over them if they're wet or muddy. If I have lots of leftover clothing to make a big fluffy pillow I start considering I may have too much gear(and wt) with me.

snifur
07-26-2013, 15:25
Treesloth, actually you are correct. I often do not use a pillow at home. Before I go on any longer 3 day/60 or more mile hike i spend a few nights on the floor sleeping on my back or stomach.

Lefteye, your response got a good laugh from me. big boned...thats great!

Drybones
07-26-2013, 15:47
Pillows are for soft people.

Call me marshmellow.

treesloth
07-26-2013, 15:49
Treesloth, actually you are correct. I often do not use a pillow at home. Before I go on any longer 3 day/60 or more mile hike i spend a few nights on the floor sleeping on my back or stomach.

Roger that, softy. ;-)

Drybones
07-26-2013, 15:49
I use a Cacoon pillow, put it in the sleeping bag hood to keep it put.

Trebor66
07-26-2013, 16:26
I've tried the Cocoon pillow but didn't like it. I always felt like my head was on a balloon and was going to roll off.

Drybones
07-26-2013, 18:10
I've tried the Cocoon pillow but didn't like it. I always felt like my head was on a balloon and was going to roll off.

It helps to lower the air pressure, but, I agree, it's not what I'd like but at this point the best I've tried. My biggest problem sleeping is to keep the pillow under my head, which putting it in the sleeping bag hood helps.

Dharma Dog
07-26-2013, 19:43
Well, it used to be the Exped pillow combined with whatever clothes were available....and clean. Now it's this great setup that Stick came up with a few months ago. It's a Goosefeat Gear Down Pillow with a special sleeve on the bottom designed to hold the large Exped UL Air Pillow or a pile of clothes. This is definitely the most comfortable UL pillow setup I've ever used.
Check it out here..

http://sticksblog.com/2013/04/14/goosefeet-gear-stuff-sack-down-pillow-case-large-exped-ul-air-pillow/ (http://sticksblog.com/2013/04/14/goosefeet-gear-stuff-sack-down-pillow-case-large-exped-ul-air-pillow/)

blue indian
07-26-2013, 21:11
Awesome idea

Theosus
07-27-2013, 14:51

Exactly! I have that travesty of a thing and you're right. If you dont have a cocoon, you can make your own. FIll a gallon ziplock bag with air, wrap in a pillowcase, and try to sleep on it. It was terrible in my hammock. If I wasnt rolling off it was slipping out from under me. I bought a cotton (yes, cotton damn it!) pillowcase and cut a rectangle out of it, about 10"x14", with flaps to make it two inches thick. Sewed it together with 3" of climashield in between. It lays flat in the hammock, its warm, feels like a real pillow (not like you're sleeping on a blow-up raft), won't go flat when the air leaks, and has a little pocket on one end for my iPhone and headphones. Best of all, shoved down in the pack it tends to compress enough when everything is sitting on it. Do I know what it weighs? No. I don't care...

markdek
07-27-2013, 15:07
I just received free samples of medical pillows from Graham Medical....the kind you blow up w/ a straw..........these have the be the lightest air pillow, bar none. The valve, using a straw, is quite amazing. Tried it on an overnight er 2 days ago, and it worked. Can't say anything about durability, etc.

Just Bill
07-27-2013, 17:33
My favorite pillow is...a pillow. I assume you were talking trail though. I use my Platy 4l tank when that is along, failing that I use my 3l platy. Both options prevent frozen water too, just fill the rest of the bladder with air by blowing though the mouthpiece and you won't have any accidental leaks. Shoes belong with your feet- so I prop those up under my Neo-Air to elevate the bottom of my mattress as described for the head. If not sleeping in it, I wrap my Houdini around it my pillow, but I am usually wearing a hat so my face isn't in contact with the bladder often. Weight penalty- zero. Even if you don't typically carry a bladder, remove the hose, use a bottle cap, and a 3l platy weighs 1.5 ounces empty- lighter and cheaper than many pillows, and in an emergency you can even use it to carry water! Mike Clelland sticks a half dozen ziplock bags that he inflates into a used mesh orange bag and lays it under his sleeping pad or head as conditons dictate. He's a back sleeper so he puts his shoes at his hips and uses them to rest his elbows on when sleeping.

Del Q
07-27-2013, 19:30
So, my wife and I were on a great business trip in France many years ago, on the way back I requisitoned the Air France super lightweight, fleece-like blanket. Sewed it into a pillow case..........bring a small piece of rope to secure the end, cover my stuff sack, filled with clothes, dry rain gear, etc.............works GREAT!

This is a piece of gear that comes along with me on EVERY hike.

The Ace
07-27-2013, 19:45
It helps to lower the air pressure, but, I agree, it's not what I'd like but at this point the best I've tried. My biggest problem sleeping is to keep the pillow under my head, which putting it in the sleeping bag hood helps.

Agree with just inflating it enough to cradle your head, instead of fully inflating. Inserting the end of your sleeping pad into your shirt, and then slipping the pillow under the shirt holds it in place.

The Ace
07-27-2013, 20:02
I just received free samples of medical pillows from Graham Medical....the kind you blow up w/ a straw..........these have the be the lightest air pillow, bar none. The valve, using a straw, is quite amazing. Tried it on an overnight er 2 days ago, and it worked. Can't say anything about durability, etc.

These are the same as the FlexAir Ultralight. See my earlier post in this thread for the link. I have had no durability problems and I am still using the same one, but since they only weigh 16 grams, you can carry a spare (I don't). I changed out the clear straw for a colored drinking straw because the clear straw was hard to keep up with in my pack and tent. Again, you can partially inflate these so that your head won't slip off. The never totally deflate when you take the air out of them -- always just a little air pocket left. You could probably pop it if you squeezed hard enough while deflating it. But, some people pop their Sawyer water bag, too.

Dogwood
07-27-2013, 22:20
Having a trail pillow doesn't need to be overthoought, Just a simple stuff sack that you can get to hold air at night makes a fine pill ar.

QiWiz
07-28-2013, 18:56
My goal is to make the best pillow I can with things I already am carrying. Most commonly, since I am using a Gossamer Gear pack with removable closed cell foam pad, I just loosely roll up the pad and use as a pillow with or without a cloth bandana, my hat, or something similar on top. I have also used rolled up rain gear or 2 L platypus or Evernew bladders as pillows (inflated with water or air).

OzJacko
07-28-2013, 19:13
I pamper myself. I have used my Emirates airlines pillow since Georgia.
Since Harpers Ferry I have also had a pillow from Amtrak.:)
They're getting funky but they help "smooth" out my pack.
"toughing it out" is not my scene.

coach lou
07-28-2013, 19:17
[QUOTE=OzJacko;1507950]I pamper myself. I have used my Emirates airlines pillow since Georgia.
Since Harpers Ferry I have also had a pillow from Amtrak.:)
They're getting funky but they help "smooth" out my pack.
"toughing it out" is not my scene.[/QUOTE

Cheesecake is my favorite hiking pillow..........keeps the mice out of my food bag:)

Hikes in Rain
07-28-2013, 19:18
"toughing it out" is not my scene.

"We don't go into the woods to rough it. We go to smooth it. We get it rough enough in town."

Nessmuk

Different Socks
07-28-2013, 21:10
I've always wondered this: If you are a hiker that chooses to stuff clothing into a sack to create a pillow, what do you do if you are wearing all(or almost all) the clothing?

Trebor66
07-28-2013, 21:43
I've always wondered this: If you are a hiker that chooses to stuff clothing into a sack to create a pillow, what do you do if you are wearing all(or almost all) the clothing?

I suppose you either do without, or you put your shoes under your pad. Neither way works for me. I have to have a decent pillow.

coach lou
07-28-2013, 21:53

My winter bag is warm, I only wear long johns in my bag, my summer bag is too warm and I don't even wear skivies if I'm alone in my hooch, so if my clothes aren't soaked from sweat... they are my pillow.............and the leftover cheesecake.

hikerboy57
07-28-2013, 21:59
you'll sleep warmer in a sleeping bag wearing less, not more.the more insulating layers you wear, the less effect the bag has on keeping you warm.

Different Socks
07-28-2013, 22:59
Well my vote is for a pillow, even if it is extra ounces.

And what about the smell emanating from the dirty clothes put into a sack for a pillow? Wouldn't want to smell that all night. It's bad enough inhaling the fumes of those around me.

coach lou
07-28-2013, 23:01
Well my vote is for a pillow, even if it is extra ounces.

And what about the smell emanating from the dirty clothes put into a sack for a pillow? Wouldn't want to smell that all night. It's bad enough inhaling the fumes of those around me.
Yes of course, but wearing them or laying on them...they still stink:(..........:D

Another Kevin
07-29-2013, 05:41
If something drives me to sleep with all my clothes on, then I sleep with my head on my water bladder so it won't freeze.

88BlueGT
07-29-2013, 10:43
I use my Packa and wrap a shirt around it. Works for me.

jeffmeh
07-29-2013, 13:07
you'll sleep warmer in a sleeping bag wearing less, not more.the more insulating layers you wear, the less effect the bag has on keeping you warm.

This is only true if wearing the clothes inside the bag causes the layers to compress, or worse yet, is so tight that it restricts your circulation. Otherwise, more insulation means more heat is retained, and more warmth.

hikerboy57
07-29-2013, 13:15

This is only true if wearing the clothes inside the bag causes the layers to compress, or worse yet, is so tight that it restricts your circulation. Otherwise, more insulation means more heat is retained, and more warmth.Just speaking from experience. Although other factors like hydration and dinner come in to play ive found I sleep warmer with less on.

Drybones
07-29-2013, 14:58

This is true up to a point, less or no clothing allows the bag to heat up fatser and let the heat distribute throughout the bag so all body parts, like the feet, get heat. At some point the bag doesn't have enough insulation to keep you warm, you need additional layers then.

coach lou
07-29-2013, 15:18
You folks just don't have a warm enough bag.......honestly, I can't zip my WM all the way up...skull cap & long johns is all I can wear....but of course I am a hot blooded Eyetalian! :D

Follow My Spot
07-29-2013, 15:37
The most comfortable pillow I've found is folding up a down jacket and stuffing it inside your sleeping bag stuff sack. Even better is making up a small pillow case out of an old silk liner - luxurious.

coach lou
07-29-2013, 15:38
The most comfortable pillow I've found is folding up a down jacket and stuffing it inside your sleeping bag stuff sack. Even better is making up a small pillow case out of an old silk liner - luxurious.

+101.........................

Gonecampn
07-29-2013, 16:43
I use an inflatable pillow that packs to the size of my fist. It's a nice convenience but not something that I HAVE to have.

Pringles
07-31-2013, 19:06
I found that my Walmart, I the travel section, has an inflatable pillow that nestles around your neck. It has a fleece cover, so I can wash it. I used to wad up clothes I wasn't wearing, but thenid have to rescrunch them every so often. A little TOO often. This stays in place, and I can inflate it a lot, or a little. Small weight = lots better sleep.