PDA

View Full Version : fantasy sports and hiking

mcstick
07-25-2013, 23:09
Does anyone have any tips on managing a fantasy baseball team while on the trail? I'm planning a thru next year and don't wanna give up my slot in a league that's been going ten years strong. I don't want to half ass it either.

tycho
07-26-2013, 01:11
Well now I've seen everything.

Hill Ape
07-26-2013, 01:21
seriously? c'mon, you're joking right? obviously carry an ultralight tv, laptop, and sat phone. and an extra long extension cord.

aren't there smart phone apps for that? that would easiest. don't really know what you mean by half assing it.

rocketsocks
07-26-2013, 01:35

VTATHiker
07-26-2013, 03:40
Sure. Did a sobo thru last year starting in mid-August and tried to maintain my team all the way through playoffs. The team did great, until I left for the hike. I went from first place during the season by a large margin, to 4th or 5th after playoffs. Things I would do differently:

Cell service: I had AT&T rather than Verizon so keeping track via smartphone was essentially impossible in the northern states. If you’re going to use a smartphone, go with Verizon.

Draft differently: Spend more time preparing for the draft than usual. Put more thought into who gets injured perennially and avoid them. Pick players who play often and get a lot of at bats. Having a bunch of batters sit on your bench while you’re walking in the woods wont do you any good, so avoid that. For that reason you should put extra value on players who have multiple-position eligibility. Draft more starting pitchers. I found it was easier to schedule a week’s worth of pitching ahead of time than it was to schedule my offense that way. Or it might be a good idea to pick up one or two extra relief pitchers with a high K/9. That way you can at least pick up the saves category almost every week without monitoring your lineup. If you have any say in the stat categories, lobby for the “average” categories like AVG, K/9, WHIP, etc…

Happy hiking! Play ball!

moytoy
07-26-2013, 06:13
Does anyone have any tips on managing a fantasy baseball team while on the trail? I'm planning a thru next year and don't wanna give up my slot in a league that's been going ten years strong. I don't want to half ass it either.
Just figure on not managing fantasy sports on the trail. You could stick with football which is mostly in the "off season". And I think this thread should be moved over to the fantasy hiking forum;) BTW, good luck with your team:)

mcstick
07-26-2013, 11:06

Thanks for the advice sweetheart.

Just Bill
07-26-2013, 11:16
That was his polite response, lol.

Beuhler
07-26-2013, 12:05
I play Fantasy Football but I'm not planning a long hike anytime soon. If I was in a Fantasy Baseball league, however, I think I would try and recruit someone to manage my team while I was away. I think it would be too frustrating (for me) trying to deal with the gaps in mobile coverage and take away from the hike. You could check in periodically with your temporary manager to make big decisions like add/drops, trades, etc., but leave the daily lineup changes to him. Even if he's not as good as you he would probably do as good as you would from the trail and you would still have your team when you get back.

rocketsocks
07-27-2013, 02:12
I pulled it cause I didn't think you'd appreciate it....but here it is...was22990

I didn't know they had fantasy baseball....ie, I got it wrong and didn't feel like fixing it...kinda week attempt at humor really...but there you have it...Sweetie, hehe

I do wish your team luck. I don't do fantasy football, but have been thinking about trying it, maybe one day....oh and have a great hike Mr. McStick....cool name!

capehiker
07-27-2013, 03:36
I'd say just do the best you can. Definitely keep the slot and hope for the best when you get internet and change your line-ups. That's really all you can do.

kayak karl
07-27-2013, 09:11
could you have a wife or girlfriend your leaving at home run it for you? or a five year old?:D

i'm sure a smartphone and 10 extra batteries could keep you updated.

HikerMom58
07-27-2013, 09:38

FYI -rocketsocks would be a sweetheart- if he was a girl. He's NOT a girl. :sun Hope you can figure it all out! :0)

MuddyWaters
07-27-2013, 09:50
The trail is really about escaping the meaningless distractions , and simplifying life down to only "where is the next water".

Sailing_Faith
07-27-2013, 10:25
Just HYOH man, even if I don't care for (ok, actually despise) professional sports... I hope you figure out how to manage it.

Seems like having a smart phone would make this not much harder then following whiteblaze (if far less educational, or entertaining IMHO). :)

Theosus
07-27-2013, 14:41
Fantasy football is like Dungeons and Dragons for jocks, right?

I've never played fantasy football, but the idea of managing a fake football team pales when compared to defeating an uber-hulk with a plus-ten mace.

Besides, a little sack of plastic dice weighs a lot less than a laptop.

max patch
07-27-2013, 14:46
Get a Sirus/XM subscription - they've got a channel devoted to people calling all day long asking who should i start? who should i trade? i got these pitchers what do i do? etc etc etc. Asking someone for advice seems to counter what I thot was the reason to play fantasy -- the belief that you are better than anyone else at evaluating talent and aquiring players within the constraints of a budget.