PDA

View Full Version : waterproof socks question?

Big Dawg
07-31-2005, 20:45
What's the average weight of a pair of waterproof socks? REI.com, etc., doesn't show weight. Also, how well do they work? Thanks!

Lone Wolf
07-31-2005, 20:46
Ain't no such thing as waterproof socks.

SGT Rock
07-31-2005, 20:59
Goretex Rockys weigh 3.2 ounces at size 9 and Seal Skinz are 3.5 ounces for the same size.

sliderule
07-31-2005, 21:56
Also, how well do they work? Thanks!I have used Seal Skinz. They do a good job of keeping water out. But they also do a fairly good job of keeping moisture in. Like most of the vapor permeable garments, I think their "breathability" claims are somewhat exagerated.

Sly
07-31-2005, 22:08
I recently bought a pair of "waterproof" Aquarion socks cheap on Ebay. Made by the same company that makes Seal Skinz I have no idea how well they work.

Kinda wish I used them the last couple days in the Smokies, but like Gore-Tex, they're probably best used in colder weather.

3.6 ozs for the pair of extra large.

neo
07-31-2005, 23:24
i have been backpacking 33 years now,and still get wet feet:cool: neo

titanium_hiker
07-31-2005, 23:30
sealskinz are like a wetsuit, right? even though you feet are wet, they aren't cold?

titanium

SGT Rock
07-31-2005, 23:34
sealskinz are like a wetsuit, right? even though you feet are wet, they aren't cold?

titanium
Well there are two models of Seal Skinz. One is more like a wetsuit and then the other is a woven nylon sock with a GoreTex membrane. I use the latter. I find that they do keep my feet drier in cold weather, but my feet still get cold in them. I guess the cold isn't as bad as wet and cold, but I've never done a comparison test. I guess next winter I should try hiking one sock on and one off to test to see if they are really helping.

BTW, I get cold feet very easy, your experiences may differ.

fiddlehead
07-31-2005, 23:48
you may want to try fleece sox. They keep your feet warm even when wet. cheaper, and lighter weight than seal skins.

PKH
08-01-2005, 06:15
What's the average weight of a pair of waterproof socks? REI.com, etc., doesn't show weight. Also, how well do they work? Thanks!

I'm with L. Wolf on this one - there ain't no such thing.

Cheers,

PKH

Big Dawg
08-01-2005, 06:38
I'm with L. Wolf on this one - there ain't no such thing.

Cheers,

PKH
Well, there is such a thing (http://sealskinz.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/KE651||~@c~@b|0|user|1,0,0,1|19|),, it's just whether they actually work or not. Seems "Sliderule" thinks "they do a good job of keeping water out". Honestly, my reason for considering these is for camp. They are lighter than my nike "camp" flops (12oz, size 13), & most other options. When I arrive at camp, let's say after a day of rain, feet wet,,, then I change into dry socks,,, don't want to put my dry feet back into my wet/muddy boots or trail runners,,, hence a camp shoe/flop/whatever. Seems logical for me to put on nice dry warm socks, then waterproof socks (like sealskinz), then put on my wet shoes to move around camp, take a whizzz late at night, whatever. Keeps my feet dry, & allows me to lighten my pack by not bringing my flops. Problem solved for around 4oz. :clap

SGT Rock
08-01-2005, 06:41
Well, there is such a thing (http://sealskinz.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/KE651||~@c~@b|0|user|1,0,0,1|19|),, it's just whether they actually work or not. Seems "Sliderule" thinks "they do a good job of keeping water out". Honestly, my reason for considering these is for camp. They are lighter than my nike "camp" flops (12oz, size 13), & most other options. When I arrive at camp, let's say after a day of rain, feet wet,,, then I change into dry socks,,, don't want to put my dry feet back into my wet/muddy boots or trail runners,,, hence a camp shoe/flop/whatever. Seems logical for me to put on nice dry warm socks, then waterproof socks (like sealskinz), then put on my wet shoes to move around camp, take a whizzz late at night, whatever. Keeps my feet dry, & allows me to lighten my pack by not bringing my flops. Problem solved for around 4oz. :clap
It works. I would reccomend the Rocky type socks for that though, and get them a little large so you can wear socks inside them easier. http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=12127667&parent_category_rn=4501322

soulrebel
08-01-2005, 07:34
i like the recommendation of using ziploc bags for hands/feet during extreme cold and wet weather---

Peaks
08-01-2005, 07:40
i like the recommendation of using ziploc bags for hands/feet during extreme cold and wet weather---

I'm not so sure about that. Most ski boots are now plastic, that does not breath at all. My feet are usually very wet at the end of a day of skiing.

Tramper Al
08-01-2005, 07:44
I too have the 'waterproof' Sealskinz socks and really, they are not.

I have used these VB socks:
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=1633288&memberId=12500226

. . . for exactly your camp purpose. Even if my boots are soaked through from the trail, I can put on a pair of dry socks and slip my boots back on for a water run or whatever from camp. I also carry these on cool cusp season hikes (like Novermber or April), as an emergency back-up. A couple of times already, a companion has slipped while crossing a brook. With a dry sock and one of these VB socks, those toes get warm, stay dry in a soaked boot, and everyone is good to go. They'll do double duty as stuff sacks (for dry socks maybe!) as well.

Big Dawg
08-01-2005, 07:46
It works. I would reccomend the Rocky type socks for that though, and get them a little large so you can wear socks inside them easier. http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=12127667&parent_category_rn=4501322
Why Rock? Is it because they're slightly lighter, work better????

Off topic..... BTW Rock,, I'm very impressed w/ the Ion stove,, & will be purchasing it soon! 1oz for a fuel efficient stove,, that's what I'm talking about!!! Base weight comin on down, yea!!

SGT Rock
08-01-2005, 07:52
Why Rock? Is it because they're slightly lighter, work better????

Off topic..... BTW Rock,, I'm very impressed w/ the Ion stove,, & will be purchasing it soon! 1oz for a fuel efficient stove,, that's what I'm talking about!!! Base weight comin on down, yea!!
I've used both the Rocky and the Seal Skinz, and for what you plan to do, the Rocky work better. They pick up less junk from the ground and are more like slippers than socks whereas the Seal Skinz feel more like regular socks and tend to get duff stuck on them easier.

As to the Ion, just make sure you aren't in a hurry to eat if you get one. I love it myself, but occasionally I get folks that wish it were faster cooking. If you want some more speed and are willing to take an extra few grams there are other stoves out there that will cook faster.

Big Dawg
08-01-2005, 07:59
I too have the 'waterproof' Sealskinz socks and really, they are not.

I have used these VB socks:
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=1633288&memberId=12500226

. . . for exactly your camp purpose. Even if my boots are soaked through from the trail, I can put on a pair of dry socks and slip my boots back on for a water run or whatever from camp. I also carry these on cool cusp season hikes (like Novermber or April), as an emergency back-up. A couple of times already, a companion has slipped while crossing a brook. With a dry sock and one of these VB socks, those toes get warm, stay dry in a soaked boot, and everyone is good to go. They'll do double duty as stuff sacks (for dry socks maybe!) as well.
Tramper Al,, great idea,,, what's the weight(size) of your VB socks. Considering their purpose, these socks (nylon booties) seem perfect for the price, $4.96,,, compared to Rocky gore-tex socks for $50, & sealskinz for $20+.

PKH
08-01-2005, 08:09

Well James, you're right of course. I was just being a little facetious. Can't speak for L. Wolf. For camp purposes these things are waterproof and comfortable. It's just that they don't hold up well and for long on the trail.

Cheers,

PKH

Big Dawg
08-01-2005, 08:29
Well James, you're right of course. I was just being a little facetious. Can't speak for L. Wolf. For camp purposes these things are waterproof and comfortable. It's just that they don't hold up well and for long on the trail.

Cheers,

PKH
I knew where you & L.Wolf were comin from,,, just like any gore-tex item, they eventually leak thru. But perfect for my camp solution----I shoulda made that clear in the original post, huh! No harm, no foul. Just havin fact-finding fun. :)
I've looked into Tramper Al's idea,, but Campmor has them in size "s" only,, not big enough for my big a$$ feet. Maybe I'll make my own.

java
08-01-2005, 08:37
If you're considering these for a thru-hike keep in mind that your camp shoe is often your town shoe. I'm not sure I'd want to be traipsing around town in socks, plus, I doubt if you could even go grocery shopping in them (No shirt, no shoes...). Just a thought. But maybe you just want a camp shoe...

Big Dawg
08-01-2005, 09:25
If you're considering these for a thru-hike keep in mind that your camp shoe is often your town shoe. I'm not sure I'd want to be traipsing around town in socks, plus, I doubt if you could even go grocery shopping in them (No shirt, no shoes...). Just a thought. But maybe you just want a camp shoe...
Wish I could thru-hike,,,,, I'm a section hiker,, may take me 20+ yrs to finish,,, arrrgggghhhh?

PKH
08-01-2005, 10:28
No harm, no foul.

PKH

Big Dawg
08-01-2005, 12:42
As to the Ion, just make sure you aren't in a hurry to eat if you get one. I love it myself, but occasionally I get folks that wish it were faster cooking. If you want some more speed and are willing to take an extra few grams there are other stoves out there that will cook faster.
Off Topic again... sorry
Nah,, not usually in a hurry to eat,,, & don't mind waiting the 10 to 14 min boil time. Yes, my pocket rocket will zap that water quickly,, but 4 min,,, 14 min.,, that small of a time difference doesn't cause a concern to me. I just boil water for my zip loc baggie of grub. I can remember the time a few extra pounds didn't make a difference to me,, now I'm counting every ounce,,,, as they add up.

fiddlehead
08-05-2005, 23:57
Looking for lightweight camp shoes that double as lightweight fording shoes? check these out: http://fiddleheadpa.safeshopper.com/14/147.htm?475 The Underwear Guys just got them from "Billibong" and they are reversible if you don't like the bright colors. They're made from stretch Neopreme and pack really small. (sorry if this seems like and ad but i really think they are what many are searching for as far as lightweight, packable camp shoes and fording shoes) If i'm out of line here, someone let me know. fh

Big Dawg
08-06-2005, 08:16
Looking for lightweight camp shoes that double as lightweight fording shoes? check these out: http://fiddleheadpa.safeshopper.com/14/147.htm?475 The Underwear Guys just got them from "Billibong" and they are reversible if you don't like the bright colors. They're made from stretch Neopreme and pack really small. (sorry if this seems like and ad but i really think they are what many are searching for as far as lightweight, packable camp shoes and fording shoes) If i'm out of line here, someone let me know. fh
No, Fiddlehead,, definately not out of line,, thanks for the link. I've actually seen these in other threads here,, & have considered these,,,,,, just no tread on the bottom,, so on a rainy evening @ camp,, these would leak thru (unless I also used waterproof/VBL socks). On their web, I noticed size up to XXL, which from prev posts here, would not fit my size 13 foot--comfortably. In past posts, someone mentioned buying XXXL,, seems no longer available on their website. Maybe I should shoot them an email & ask.

snarbles
01-25-2006, 01:08
I just picked up a pair of these:

http://www.rei.com/product/47947092.htm?vcat=REI_SEARCH

My guess is that they are more of a "water resistant" sock. Anybody have any experience with these?

Anyways I'll give you a field report when I'm done with the cold and rainy weekend at Enchanted Rock.

peter_pan
01-25-2006, 10:39
I had a pair from Cabelas for about 15 years ...worked well...no leaks until very late in life.... My initial test was in a bath tup with 6-7 inches of water...spent about 30-40 minutes reading a newspaper...absolutely no leaking...

I got reasonable ventilation... but not as good as just plain socks.

Personally I found the sealing tape on the Goretex types to be a little irritating ( read possible blisters)....

Until I learned THIS TRICK.... First, boots must be a little looser... second, put on socks... third, pull out the insole, place them under the stocking feet.... fourth, put the waterproof sock over all... finally, put the shoes back on ....

This technoque worked super for me... It totally eliminated any contact with the seam tape on the bottom of the waterproof socks....very nice....Also it provided minor air pocket-like stand off around the bottom edge which allowed space for the moisture to vaporize a little and thus pass thru the gortex membrane better ( remember Gortex is designed to pass warmed vapor...not liquid sweat)...

Try it you may like it.... And remember... either your socks must be lighter or you must be able to expand the volume of your shoes/boots to allow for the extra layer... If you don't insure this is done..... you will surely feel cramped, suffer excess moisture and thus have cold feet.

Pan

4whim
01-31-2006, 20:50
I found inserting feet into plastic breadbags, rubber band at top, when it is wet have served me fine. feet got too hot in boots with goretex and out west too much dry dirt that clogged up gore-tex,,,granted,,,we don't get the day in and day out pouring raid,,but when it has,,,I just use the old plastic bag method.

Cheesewhiz
01-31-2006, 20:53
I love my seal skinz. I hike in them all winter long with my chacos. they are best in colder weather because they do not let moisture out very well but they are great for keeping warmth in and moisture out