PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Maryland SB

Kodak-RM
07-26-2013, 11:44
Got a group hiking the state of Maryland in a couple of weeks. Anyone been through the area recently and have any knowledge of any we should be aware of?

We are starting at Pen/Mar and ending in Harpers Ferry.

Thanks

Rob

Malto
07-26-2013, 11:53
What in particular?

Don H
07-26-2013, 12:31
Easy hiking, especially SB. Pick up water at Gathland SP to avoid having to go 1/2 mile down hill to get water at Ed Garvey Shelter (last one before HF).
Parking at PenMar is safe, just park in the gravel lot across from the park entrance. I always try to avoid parking at HF.

Ezra
07-26-2013, 14:38
Personally, I would try to avoid Pine Knob shelter because you can hear interstate 70.

No water between Crampton's Gap & Ed Garvey shelter. Water at Ed Garvet shelter is down a steep hill.

Nutbrown
07-26-2013, 16:39
Fill up H2O about 3 miles before Ed Garvey at the Gathland state park. It's a super highway two lane hiking path almost the entire way. Easy and fun. I did it with my friends over July 4th weekend. Dahlgren camp ground has hot showers...free, and an Inn (that doesn't have an Inn) with an expensive restaurant and BAR, about a 5 minute walk from Dahlgren. You will see it when you cross the road just before the campground. It's called the Stone Inn (or something like that). Take a swim in the Potomac before you come into town. It's sooooooo refreshing:)

Ezra
07-26-2013, 18:45
The Old South Mountain Inn.

gregc72
07-26-2013, 22:09
Springs at pine knob and Annapolis Rock flowing well. I- 70 @ pine knob to me was more of a white noise that actually made sleeping easier.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Kodak-RM
07-27-2013, 14:43
Thanks everyone! I will make sure I mark the water sources down on the map!

squilax
07-29-2013, 08:06
We were SOBO from PenMar last week. If it's hot, fill up with water at PenMar. No water available until you get to Raven Rock/Devil's Racecourse. Spring down the hill at Devil's Racecourse (across ATfrom Raven Rock) was flowing well last week. Streams at Fox Hollow Rd and Warner's Gap (by the road crossing) are also flowing well. Pogo Spring was full after the storm last Tuesday night but your better choice is the stream below the spring. If you walk a short way down the hill from the spring, there is a piped spring also. Spring at Pine Knob was full of muck. I dug it out to make a deeper pool below the pipe, but too late - filter clogged anyway. Luckily my partner had a steripen so we were able to get water there. Water spigot at Washington Monument park and Dahlgren were working fine. Dahlgren camp was great with the showers available. The Old South Mountain Inn has terrific food. They are very hiker friendly but you have to leave your packs outside the building. That was as far as we made it for the week, so we took Ezra up on an offer for a lift to HF to get to our hotel on Friday. Hopefully, you will have a little bit cooler weather which should allow for some higher mileage days. Good luck and stay safe.

joec
07-29-2013, 14:00
The shower at Dahlgren was a mind blowing experience. Right on the trail, a small campground and a shower facility. The water pressure left something to be desired, but I came out clean and refreshed. Best part of the hike!!

squilax
07-30-2013, 10:54
The shower at Dahlgren was a mind blowing experience. Right on the trail, a small campground and a shower facility. The water pressure left something to be desired, but I came out clean and refreshed. Best part of the hike!!

+1 on the shower!

WILLIAM HAYES
07-31-2013, 15:58
easy hike +1 on showers at dahlgren eat at the Inn if its open

Hillbilly

squilax
07-31-2013, 18:00
South Mountain Inn is only serving dinner now - opens at 5 PM, except on Sunday when it's open for brunch.

skippymo
08-01-2013, 16:38
My girlfriend and I just did pen-mar to harpers ferry no issues with water for the most part. we did SOBO. Dalgren was cool, Ed Garvey is awesome up the trail North there is a lot of good firewood, I did the walk down for water good flow but hard getting back up down trees make it even harder, but 4 liters later didn't mind it to much. took me about 30 minutes for that water trip. we did it in 3.5 days to harpers ferry I recommend parking at the Econo Lodge in harpers ferry if you are staying the night, parking is free for your trip and using Lee at river and trail outfitters for a shuttle up to the border...awesome dude that knows his stuff -- enjoy!