PDA

View Full Version : Found some dehydraded food in zip lock bags

canoe
07-26-2013, 12:55
from last year. Looks good. I did a sample taste. It tasted OK. What is your opinion. Toss it and start over? or take it on the trail with no worries? What would you do?

max patch
07-26-2013, 13:03
What would I do? I'd toss it although I bet most people will say to go ahead and eat it. Of course they're not gonna be around to eat it. Ever been sick on the trail? Not worth the risk when the food can be replaced with an $8 Mountain House (or whatever) or take a day and make some more.

HikerMom58
07-26-2013, 13:07
Canoe ... I'm assuming it wasn't in the fridge or anything?? AND was it dehydrated meat , veggies or fruit or a mixture??

JustaTouron
07-26-2013, 13:11
Three part check.

1) does it look good?

2) does it smell good?

3) does it taste good?

I check in that order. If all three are yes, then it is good to go.

Wise Old Owl
07-26-2013, 13:19
hmmm only if it was my last meal... toss it.

canoe
07-26-2013, 13:23
Canoe ... I'm assuming it wasn't in the fridge or anything?? AND was it dehydrated meat , veggies or fruit or a mixture??
YOur assumtions are correct. meat veggie friuts . No mixing

canoe
07-26-2013, 13:29
Three part check.

1) does it look good?

2) does it smell good?

3) does it taste good?

I check in that order. If all three are yes, then it is good to go.

it looks good it smells good and it does taste surprisingly good. BUT I dont want to get sick on the trail. Its probably OK, but Its not worth taking the chance. I will toss it for the sake of safety. Thanks all for the input and opinions. On the way to the grocery and getting out the dehydrator

HikerMom58
07-26-2013, 13:36
YOur assumtions are correct. meat veggie friuts . No mixing

Ok then, I would go with JustaTouron's answer. If there's no mold on the fruits or veggies than they should be fine to eat. The taste my diminish over time but that's about it, I think. As far as the meat goes, any fat in the meat will go rancid over time. You will be able to taste that pretty quickly. I would def. think you could smell it too. I think you are good to go.

I just saw you post... :) If you don't want to take the chance then don't.. glad we could help! :)

canoe
07-26-2013, 13:53
I think I will keep the apples and strawberries

Pedaling Fool
07-26-2013, 15:36
I have had dehydrated foods for that long, including chicken jerky in simple ziplock bags with no refrigration and ate them with no problems. However, that was my dehydated food stuff, can't speak for anyone else's stuff.

Just Bill
07-27-2013, 10:23
General safe practice- meats or other fats- 3 months, meal combos (non-meat) 6 months, fruits and veggies- 12 months. All assuming they pass the smell/vision tests.