PDA

View Full Version : NOBO thru-hikers, how many nights did you spend in GA?

Ridgeline
07-26-2013, 14:18
Just wondering how many nights most of you spent in GA. I know most start off a little slow compared to the average miles per day further up the trail to acclimate to the conditions. Just looking at the Thru Hiker's Companion at the distances between the more popular shelters I'm guessing for the average hiker it's probably 6 nights or so.

max patch
07-26-2013, 14:29
Gooch Gap, Blood Mtn, Whitley Gap, Blue Mtn, Tray Mtn, Plumorchard Gap.

Thats 6. Good guess.

jj2044
07-26-2013, 14:42
I think its more than 6, Max Patch was moving pretty good for day one. springer to Gooch gap is 16 or 17 miles in if I remember.... I don't want to say most, but a lot of people just make it to Hawk shelter the first day and shelter hop to Neels gap.... I saw people of their 5th and 6th day just getting to Neels Gap.

Just Bill
07-26-2013, 14:43
According to MapMan's extensive efforts- the average NOBO hiker goes 11 MPD from Springer to Fontana, so roughly seven days/six nights through Georgia. His numbers account for the slower start, SOBO's average 16.8 miles through that section. You can read his articles on that tab up in the upper left. EDIT- that number does not reflect zero days.

RED-DOG
07-26-2013, 14:51
It takes most people 6 days to get from springer mt to franklin NC

litefoot2000
07-26-2013, 14:53
I made myself take it really easy at first. If I remember correctly, it took at least 7 or 8 days to get thru GA. I didn't turn on the after burners until I left Hot Springs. I averaged 17 mpd for the entire trip.

jj2044
07-26-2013, 15:01
Now that's BS, Franklin is 110 miles in.... and most people don't start off avg 18.5 a day....... maybe you did that, but the avg hiker does not get to franklin in 6 days

max patch
07-26-2013, 15:06

Thats not true at all.

If you look at Jack Tarlins guide to resupply he estimates that most hikers need 3-4 days of food from Springer to Neels; 3-4 days Neels to Dicks Creek; and 3-4 days Dicks Creek to Franklin. Add it all up and thats 9-12 days. That a lot closer to the truth.

RED-DOG
07-26-2013, 15:08
Now that's BS, Franklin is 110 miles in.... and most people don't start off avg 18.5 a day....... maybe you did that, but the avg hiker does not get to franklin in 6 days
Yes i did that and most people i know can do the same distance in the same time and if you can't maybe you need to dig a little deeper.

jj2044
07-26-2013, 15:12
Thats not true at all.

If you look at Jack Tarlins guide to resupply he estimates that most hikers need 3-4 days of food from Springer to Neels; 3-4 days Neels to Dicks Creek; and 3-4 days Dicks Creek to Franklin. Add it all up and thats 9-12 days. That a lot closer to the truth.
Now that sounds about right !.... I guess I just forgot Red-Dog is a badarse lol

Drybones
07-26-2013, 15:13
It took me 9 days to reach Fontana Damn, 163.7 miles, 18.2 MPD avg.

jj2044
07-26-2013, 15:16
It took me 9 days to reach Fontana Damn, 163.7 miles, 18.2 MPD avg.
Im not saying it cant done, its clear it can, im just saying the avg hiker doesn't do it in 6 days..... im sure there are people that can do it in 3 or 4 days... JPD did it what 2 ?

hikerboy57
07-26-2013, 15:17
this spring i left springer on the 22nd. zeroed at gooches gap and hit franklin on the 30th.

Kerosene
07-26-2013, 15:18
Starting off slow for 2-3 weeks until your tendons and ligaments are up to the task is very smart. Of course, someone will urge you to go further or faster, which is when you'll get injured.

While I wasn't planning a thru-hike, I started out with a thru-hiker that drove down with us from Michigan. Starting from Amicalola Lodge, we did three 12-mile days, camping at Hickory Flatts Cemetary, the summit of Ramrock Mountain, and Neel Gap. Having my trail legs by that point and knowing that an injury would only shorten my hike by a few days, I did 3 consecutive 18-mile days, camping at Blue Mtn. LT, Dicks Creek Gap/Hiawassee, and ending up going down Kimsey Creek Trail to my car at Standing Indian Campground. We had cool/cold, windy but dry conditions for the week. In retrospect, I should have kept going from Deep Gap for another 1-2 days to reach Winding Stair Gap, which was easier than I had been led to believe. That would have given me 7-8 days of hiking to get to Franklin from Amicalola. My recommendation is that you cover that same distance in 10-12 days, with re-supply at Neel Gap and Hiawassee.

daddytwosticks
07-26-2013, 15:42
Lots of testosterone flowin' today. I'm just an old slow guy, but very happy. :)

stranger
07-27-2013, 06:52
Just wondering how many nights most of you spent in GA. I know most start off a little slow compared to the average miles per day further up the trail to acclimate to the conditions. Just looking at the Thru Hiker's Companion at the distances between the more popular shelters I'm guessing for the average hiker it's probably 6 nights or so.

First time...Stover, Gooch, Blood, Neels, Low Gap, Blue Mtn, Tray Mtn, Hiawassee, Plumorchard = 9 nights

Second time...Gooch, Neels Gap, Blue Mountain, campsite just past Hiawassee = 4 nights

stranger
07-27-2013, 07:02
Franklin is 110 miles in.... and most people don't start off avg 18.5 a day....... maybe you did that, but the avg hiker does not get to franklin in 6 days

Agreed...many hikers don't reach Neels Gap til day 4 or 5, and another 3-4 days to Hiawassee, so for many hikers...Franklin is 2 weeks into their hike, but that doesn't mean that makes sense or needs to happen. If you want to go slow, so be it, but it's certainly not required.

In 2008 I was fairly comfortable averaging 17 miles per day through Georgia, I was experienced and in decent trail shape, but certainly not anywhere near peak fitness. I did 22 miles the day I left Franklin and with one exception, my shortest full day of hiking that year (Springer to Atkins, VA) was 14.9 miles.

My point is that for a fit, experienced hiker, 17-18 miles right from Springer is really no big deal, most hikers can cover 18 miles in 7-8 hours, hardly a long day. Why so many people arrive at Springer out of shape and inexperienced is beyond me, but it seems to be a very acceptable way to start a long hike on the AT for some reason.

Lone Wolf
07-27-2013, 07:07
7 or 8 for me

rusty bumper
07-27-2013, 08:40
7 nights for me and that includes hiking the 8.8 mile approach trail to Springer.

Just Bill
07-27-2013, 09:11
If you want average- Map Man's numbers are a statistical average. If you want each of those statistical answers you're getting it. If you want extremes, Springer to Hot Springs- one hiker took 12 days, one hiker took 30 days, including zeros or neros. (5 days 4 nights for GA for one, 12 days 11 nights for the other) Here are their packs sitting on the porch at Elmer's- one weighs 20, one weighs 50. What's your hiking style?22992

Tri-Pod Bob
07-27-2013, 09:52
If you want average- Map Man's numbers are a statistical average. If you want each of those statistical answers you're getting it. If you want extremes, Springer to Hot Springs- one hiker took 12 days, one hiker took 30 days, including zeros or neros. (5 days 4 nights for GA for one, 12 days 11 nights for the other) Here are their packs sitting on the porch at Elmer's- one weighs 20, one weighs 50. What's your hiking style?22992

Haven't done much true backpacking/hiking on the AT or any other named trails ( small pieces of quite a few, tho)...I'm more of a stealth camping type that hikes around. Also, 99% of the hiking I do is bushwhacking. That being said, I'm a slow going, heavy hauler. I enjoy a stroll vs a run, so my avg miles per day ranges from 6 - 15 miles. Depending on my plans for any given excursion, pack wt varies from 30 - 55 lbs. Planning a SOBO thru attempt for June 2014. Total gear wt minus food right now is 36 lbs. Trying to reach Tipi's realm!! LOL

Northern Lights
07-27-2013, 09:59
It took me 6 nights to get out of Georgia, and I am as slow as you go.

MuddyWaters
07-27-2013, 10:05
I believe mapmans #s are also only for thruhikers that completed the trail

So the 80% that dropped out wouldnt be counted.

Possibly his #s dont tell the whole story on average for all people attempting.

I met a lot of people in GA moving very low mpd. Some by choice, and some by necessity.

There are a lot of people struggling with heavy packs at 8mpd-ish pace.

There are a lot of people, young as well as old, struggling with knee issues they werent expecting. I lost count of how many people were getting off the trail because of knees , and didnt even make it to Neel gap.

Im amazed some would spend months planning, thousands of dollars on gear and travel, and not know if their knees would hurt. Seems they would do a shakedown or something beforehand.

hikerboy57
07-27-2013, 10:27
I believe mapmans #s are also only for thruhikers that completed the trail

So the 80% that dropped out wouldnt be counted.

Possibly his #s dont tell the whole story on average for all people attempting.

I met a lot of people in GA moving very low mpd. Some by choice, and some by necessity.

There are a lot of people struggling with heavy packs at 8mpd-ish pace.

There are a lot of people, young as well as old, struggling with knee issues they werent expecting. I lost count of how many people were getting off the trail because of knees , and didnt even make it to Neel gap.

Im amazed some would spend months planning, thousands of dollars on gear and travel, and not know if their knees would hurt. Seems they would do a shakedown or something beforehand.
met a guy at the ga/nc border that exclaimed"man its good to get through georgia. i heard its the second toughest state."i almost laughed out loud. told me hed been on the trail for 11 days.if you havent hiked hills before, it'll probably take you 10 days plus.its not that hard. theyre just hills, not mtns.

map man
07-27-2013, 20:55
In my study of 240 successful NOBO thru-hikers the mean number of days to get to the Georgia border was 8.0 and the median was 7.7, as you can see in this article:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?44

This study was limited to just hikers who did ultimately make it all the way to Katahdin, so perhaps the averages for all "attempting" thru-hikers might be a little slower. So seven to nine nights is a decent educated estimate of the "average" (as opposed to anecdotal accounts of one person's hike).

OzJacko
07-27-2013, 21:56
12 days to Bly Gap.
5 zeroes.
:D:D:D

Pendragon
07-27-2013, 22:14
On my way to Damascus I blew past some people, while most of the younguns blew past me. I must really be low on testosterone, because I really could care less HOW many miles the speed hikers made each day. I was just happy to make it to Damascus in time for Trail days. My knees are almost back to normal, and I'm finally keeping my weight on.

Datto
08-10-2013, 17:46
Just wondering how many nights most of you spent in GA.

Night 00= Approach Trail up to Springer Mountain, GA, staying overnight at the camp area there.
Night 01 = Justis Creek
Night 02 = Jarrod Gap
Night 03 = Neel's Gap
Night 04 = Bull Gap
Night 05 = Low Gap Shelter
Night 06 = Tray Mountain Shelter
Night 07 = The Blueberry Patch (Dick's Creek Gap)
Night 08 = The Blueberry Patch (Dick's Creek Gap)
------- North Carolina Line

Datto

CyborgAT
08-19-2013, 20:55
I spent about 6 days in GA. Next year I plan on getting to Dicks Creek gap in 4 days.

flemdawg1
08-22-2013, 12:16
Sassafras Mtn, Woody gap, Neels Gap, Low gap, Helen, Tray Mtn (short day, 6 mi, buddy had knee issues), Plumorchard (longest day 16.5, sorry buddy, gotta get to Helen, vacation ends in 3 days)
Crossed into NC on day 8.

flemdawg1
08-22-2013, 12:17
oops, Franklin, not Helen.

Hill Ape
08-22-2013, 13:01
I've hiked the GA section countless times. I can say a couple things. One, most people underestimate the southern mountains, especially if they are new to hiking and carrying weight they haven't dropped in a box yet. Two, unless they've hiked it before, it doesn't make a statistical difference if they go on to successfully complete a thru or if they drop out at NOC. GA takes what it takes. In GA the differences between hikers is still pretty small. From fs42 to bly is going to take the average new hiker, that hasn't learned many of the lessons experienced hikers have, 7 days. Will there be exceptions, of course.

colorado_rob
08-23-2013, 10:42
Let's see, spent nights at:

1) Mid day start on springer, made it to Justus Creek, mile 14
2) Neels Gap, mile 31
3) Blue Mtn. shelter, mile 49
4) Deep Gap shelter, mile 64
5) Nero in Hiawasee, mile 67
6) Crossed into NC, mile 76 middle of day 6

So spent 5 full days, including a Nero in GA. I was pleasantly surprised at how cool GA was terrain-wise.