PDA

View Full Version : White Blaze Speed Hiker Espresso Express

Just Bill
07-26-2013, 15:49
Seems Matt Kirk's record attempt has sparked some interest and debate, but rather than gunk up that thread with our random thoughts, why not take an example from the King of Random thoughts- Hikerboy. So let's open the express. Drive through only, nice flower bed outside if you care to sniff on your way by the order board. There's even a bench out front for Lone Wolf if he'd care to share or if you want to sit a bit before you head back to the trail.
Not that I have or want the power to stop you; let's agree on a simple pretense- you stopped by the Express because you wanted to. If you'd rather pull up a chair elsewhere and sip your beverage of choice at your leisure- it's a big website and there are plenty of other places to go. An outdoorsman does not ask, “Why does the eagle fly so fast.” It’s an eagle, there is nothing to discuss. A speed hike doesn’t have to be about setting a world record, even when you do, you’re really only setting a personal best. Despite our little group- the world doesn’t care. If you set a record, the next beer's on me- of course I'd likely buy you one either way.
Speedy hiking can even be about covering some miles so you have more time to relax at camp, read a good book, or ponder the meaning of life. It can be about moving all day, not because you have to, not because you can; but because you choose to. Most of us will never set a record, most of us don’t care. In motion is freedom, in freedom is connection. The art of moving efficiently in the woods is a craft; seeking to become a master craftsman a worthy endeavor. One I first learned at the age of fourteen from Horace Kephart, whose book is well over 100 years old, but the craft is little changed.
Once in a great while all the aspects of walking come together, and then I have an hour or a day when I simply glide along, seemingly expending no energy. When this happens, distance melts under my feet, and I feel as though I could stride on forever. I can't force such moments and I don't know where they come from, but the more I walk, the more often they happen. Not surprisingly, they occur most often on really long treks. On these days, I've walked for five hours and twelve miles and more without a break, yet with such little effort that I don't realize how long and how far I've traveled until I finally stop. I never feel any effects afterward either, except perhaps, a greater feeling of well-being and contentment.

Chris Townsend, The Backpackers's Handbook

Speed hiking is not about conquering a trail. It is about conquering yourself. It is about learning to travel with the trail, rather than merely on it. For those lucky enough to have done so, speed hiking is the slowest form of travel one can achieve. When the struggle ends, the trail fades away, the miles, the clock, and the massive ego required to even dare to chase such a dream are given to the trail- time stops. Speed hiking, at its rare and blessed best, is the antithesis of fast.

Malto
07-26-2013, 15:57
I may have to try making up an espresso Malto concoction. It has the potential of really accelerating me down the trail. When I perfect it we can serve it in the espresso express!

Alligator
07-26-2013, 16:11
Gosh extroverts are so damn chatty. I'm going to put a hold on your thread temporarily as we are working out some website structural elements relevant to your thread. We may have a solution to your format in a few days.