PDA

View Full Version : A complete look at all my gear

Arsenul
07-26-2013, 19:59
Here is a video I have showing a look at all the gear that I currently have. For the Thru-Hike of the AT I'm getting either a 90 Liter or 75 Liter Internal Frame Pack from High Sierra. I'd like you to tell me, if possible, what gear I should bring from what you see in this video and what gear you think I need for the AT. If you want to that is. Also I know that the hike is meant to be 6 months, but I'll be super lucky if that's what I get. I'm expecting maybe 8-9 Months. Please and thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4bBK9jBvLI

Arsenul
07-26-2013, 20:13
http://www.amazon.com/High-Sierra-Sentinel-Internal-32x14-25x8-75/dp/B004EBN6YS/ref=sr_1_7?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1374883287&sr=1-7&keywords=High+Sierra+Tech+Series

This is one pack I am looking at. It doesn't store as much which is something I'm not fond of. I'll be hiking for as long as I mentioned, and I don't really know how people deal with their clothing, but I'll need to store some summer clothes and have room for my winter clothes as well.

Hill Ape
07-26-2013, 20:40
have a great hike, the bow and arrow will definitely come in handy. its good that you have such a large pack, you'll need the space for those survival books and cotton winter gear. and that ghillie suit, good kit, wouldn't want the manbearpigs to spot you. you may face snow, wouldn't be a bad idea to carry a white suit as well. three survival knives, two multitools, and a saw, you are very well prepared. how much does all that weigh? anything less than 100 lb just won't do. can't be too careful. what sort of firearm are you planning to carry? i would suggest a remington 700 chambered in .308. with a backup sidearm, something in a 1911 .45 acp. and really, don't bother with the food, just live off the land. plenty of roots and berries, and with the fishing kit, eating shouldn't be a problem.

Arsenul
07-26-2013, 20:43
have a great hike, the bow and arrow will definitely come in handy. its good that you have such a large pack, you'll need the space for those survival books and cotton winter gear. and that ghillie suit, good kit, wouldn't want the manbearpigs to spot you. you may face snow, wouldn't be a bad idea to carry a white suit as well. three survival knives, two multitools, and a saw, you are very well prepared. how much does all that weigh? anything less than 100 lb just won't do. can't be too careful. what sort of firearm are you planning to carry? i would suggest a remington 700 chambered in .308. with a backup sidearm, something in a 1911 .45 acp. and really, don't bother with the food, just live off the land. plenty of roots and berries, and with the fishing kit, eating shouldn't be a problem.
Not taking all of that. I'm trying to figure out what, from that, I should take and what I should buy for the trip.

Studlintsean
07-26-2013, 21:15

This is the 2nd time today I've read some smart a** comment you've made. The kid comes here for advice and you pull this. If you can't offer any real advice keep it to yourself. In complete honesty its uncalled for. Stick to the humor section.

Slo-go'en
07-26-2013, 21:48
That's some gear closet. Unfortunately, there is little there really suited for a thru-hike. Weekend hunting trip, no problem. A lot of that stuff looked new. A good way to find out what works and what doesn't is to go out and try it in the field.

There are gear lists a pleanty in the gear forum section, spending a few hours there can be educational. For a start, here's a video of what used to be in my pack a few years ago.

http://youtu.be/yEpfEK6FkAk

WILLIAM HAYES
07-26-2013, 22:04
go as light as you can my pack weight with food for 7 days is no more then 35 lbs there are a lot of gear lists posted here on whiteblaze do a search and do a comparison you wont need a pack that large or that many clothes

MuddyWaters
07-26-2013, 23:49
I know you are thinking that a bunch of gear will keep you safe, comfortable, and get you to the finish.

But when you actually have to carry it, up and down mountains, a bunch of gear is exactly what will send you home with your tail between your legs, or worse yet, injured.

Read here, read others gearlists, there is a very well defined set of items you need. You dont need anything more than that.

Walking the trail has been worked down to a science by countless others before you.

Just Bill
07-27-2013, 09:44
Arsenal- Looks like you have one style covered- to view the other end of the spectrum- consider Mike Clelland's series on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/user/mikeclellandmc/videos Likely you'll end up in the middle. On the plus side, if you can get back to the center a little you'll probably find that a 6 month trek is about right and you can cease to worry about snow loads on shelters, monster sized packs, and other extreme situations. Not picking on you, but you are putting together a tramping pack- good for wandering the trackless wilderness regions, not so good for the relatively tame AT. If it takes you all day to move 8-10 miles, you probably won't get much fishing in. Find a local trail, load up your current stuff and see how much of it you actually get a chance to use. Here's a link to my last gear list, arguably lighter than you may wish- but the format would help you sort what you need in each category. Happy to send an excel sheet to you if you PM me, http://atrecord2013.blogspot.com/p/the-how.html

q-tip
07-27-2013, 10:06
I have an extensive gear list for UL, Lightweight, summer-3-season and with costs.--if you are interested leave a note here and I can email it to you. Your current gear is not well suited for a thru hike, you will suffer mightily. Good Luck.

Venchka
07-27-2013, 13:09
The Cliff Notes version...
1. Do not select and purchase a pack online.
2. Assemble your AT Thru-Hike kit, as mentioned above, by actually hiking and using & finding out what works, what doesn't work, what you really, really need and what you absolutely do not need.
3. Take that pile of carefully selected, tried & trusted gear to a real store and select a pack that fits YOU, is comfortable loaded and will hold all of your stuff.
4. Or, you can buy a pack from a company like ULA. Make sure it fits YOU. Load it. Make sure it holds your stuff and is comfortable. If not, return it.
5. Items 1 through 4 should be complete 2-3 months (or more) before your Thru-Hike Blast Off. This will allow ample time to practice and make any minor changes to your gear.
In 8-9 months on the east coast, at altitude, depending on when & where you start, you could encounter winter twice. Be prepared for below freezing temperatures and snow and ice, or near freezing temperatures and rain and mud. You will encounter bug season at least once, maybe more. Be prepared for that also.
Good luck.

Wayne

Venchka
07-27-2013, 13:16
http://www.amazon.com/High-Sierra-Sentinel-Internal-32x14-25x8-75/dp/B004EBN6YS/ref=sr_1_7?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1374883287&sr=1-7&keywords=High+Sierra+Tech+Series

This is one pack I am looking at. It doesn't store as much which is something I'm not fond of. I'll be hiking for as long as I mentioned, and I don't really know how people deal with their clothing, but I'll need to store some summer clothes and have room for my winter clothes as well.

Work out a gear swap system. Over a period of 8-9 months, you will probably have to swap gear twice.
Let's assume: Winter gear start-swap to summer-swap back to fall/winter gear.
Pack your summer gear in 1 or more USPS Priority Mail Large flat rate boxes. Leave these with someone you trust to mail them to you. When it is time to make the switch, give your trusted person at least a week to mail the box(es) to the town you will arrive in a week. Mail your winter gear to the same person after the summer gear arrives.
Reverse the process as the seasons change.
Good luck.

Wayne

shakey_snake
07-28-2013, 11:43

Not taking all of that. I'm trying to figure out what, from that, I should take and what I should buy for the trip.

All of the things he mentioned, don't bring.