PDA

View Full Version : 2 Person Light Weight Tent Recommendations

Arsenul
07-26-2013, 20:24
I'm going with just myself but I don't want to leave my gear out where someone can take it or the gear can get ruined so I'll be storing it in my tent with me. I'm going to be starting early in the year so I need something that can keep taking a load of snow at the start. And something light weight that can fit inside of a pack easily. Any and all recommendations would be great. Thanks!

mainebob
07-26-2013, 20:43
I really liked our big agnes fly creek ul2 this year when me daughter and attempted an AT thru hike. I tried the big agnes scout when we got to Damascus and that was a failure. I had my wife send us our ul2 back. I do not think you can get a lighter, "free standing" double walled tent. I do recommend if you are doing the AT to get a double wall tent, we had a terrible time with condensation. I also liked the free standing because it was so easy to set up at the end of a 20-25 mile day. We did stay in shelters a lot because it was so wet until the bug got terrible in New Jersey. When the bugs came out and it was hot the ventilation of the the double wall tent was appropriated. Kaboose

http://www.youtube.com/user/mainebob6363/videos

markdek
07-26-2013, 21:12
Imogene, Fly Creek, Mica, etc.

Arsenul
07-26-2013, 23:57
Would a bivy just be better to use? No tent or hammock, just that and my sleeping bag? Maybe a tarp.

Franco
07-27-2013, 01:09
I don't want to leave my gear out where someone can take it

Would a bivy just be better to use? No tent or hammock, just that and my sleeping bag? Maybe a tarp.

Just Bill
07-27-2013, 09:22
Are you carrying trekking poles? If so you might as well take advantage. Freestanding- A mountain hardware mega sul 1 will have room for your gear and not need poles. http://www.rei.com/product/846932/mountain-hardwear-supermega-ul-1-tent If you have poles- Consider a Zpacks Hexamid Plus. Officially a 1 person, but oversized to hold gear or another hiker in a pinch. http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid_plus.shtml Need cheaper- lots of good options one example- http://www.rei.com/product/731378/rei-camp-dome-2-tent

MuddyWaters
07-27-2013, 10:20
1. Never ever leave your gear out of your sight, unless you have a trusted friend watching it for you. That means never.

2. You really shouldnt have much "gear" to store.

3. Bivys in the humid SE can soak you with condensation inside. If you dont know what you are doing, stay away from them. There is a learning curve and cold weather is not the place to start it.

3. Check out Henry Shires Tarptents, Six Moon Designs, Zpacks, Lightheart gear, BA flycreek and seedhouse, Golite imogene 2, Easton kilo, 95% of what is sold by REI or other outdoor stores is too bulky, and heavy for long-distance backpacking. LONG DISTANCE being the key words, not overnight camping. You dont need an indestructible 4 season shelter, there are shelters on the trail for when things are really snotty. A simple 8.5 x8.5 silnylon tarp works fine also if you are comfortable with it. Site selection and ability to pitch different ways determine success in inclement conditions. However, there are times and places that bugs will eat you alive.

markdek
07-27-2013, 12:23
1. Never ever leave your gear out of your sight, unless you have a trusted friend watching it for you. That means never.

2. You really shouldnt have much "gear" to store.

3. Bivys in the humid SE can soak you with condensation inside. If you dont know what you are doing, stay away from them. There is a learning curve and cold weather is not the place to start it.

3. Check out Henry Shires Tarptents, Six Moon Designs, Zpacks, Lightheart gear, BA flycreek and seedhouse, Golite imogene 2, Easton kilo, 95% of what is sold by REI or other outdoor stores is too bulky, and heavy for long-distance backpacking. LONG DISTANCE being the key words, not overnight camping. You dont need an indestructible 4 season shelter, there are shelters on the trail for when things are really snotty. A simple 8.5 x8.5 silnylon tarp works fine also if you are comfortable with it. Site selection and ability to pitch different ways determine success in inclement conditions. However, there are times and places that bugs will eat you alive.

Good advice

markdek
07-27-2013, 12:26
The 81" floor dimension length of the Mountain Hardwear SuperMega UL 1 looks scary if you're normal or taller height?

Packeagle
07-27-2013, 12:28
I like the Shires Tarptents. Great designs, and construction. Customer service is great. Even on a tent I picked up second hand. Out of the Shires tents the Tarptent Rainbow would be my choice if I was going on a thru solo on the AT and wanted my gear inside.

I would get a Zpacs Hexamid plus tent if I could swing the cost and used hiking poles. Also a great company to work with.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

-SEEKER-
07-27-2013, 12:29
Double Rainbow Tarp Tent.

Packeagle
07-27-2013, 12:36
Double Rainbow Tarp Tent.

I have this one and its a palace solo. Unless I had full winter gear, I wouldn't say it was ideal for a solo pack. If you want to swing the extra weight, it is luxury.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Drybones
07-27-2013, 20:53
IMO, you dont need a 2-person tent to achieve what you want. I used the Tarptent Notch (26 oz) and did not leave anything outside, there's no room to spare but there's all the room I needed. I would put the gear I wanted access to around my sleeping pad, the rest I left in my pack and hung inside on one of the hiking poles used to support the tent. If it was raining outside I'd pack everything except the tent while inside the tent and stuff the tent in the stretch pocket on the back of my pack. Did the reverse when setting up in the rain. Nothing gets wet except the outside of the tent.

Zippy Morocco
07-27-2013, 21:10
We used the Zpacks Hexamid Twin for our thru-hike this year. We started March 5 and had plenty of snow. This tent performed amazingly. We tented about 80 percent of the time and it is still in great shape. I will be taking it on the PCT as well.

capehiker
07-27-2013, 21:14
Arsenul- how tall are you?

For weight vs. space, it's really hard to beat any of the Lightheart Gear products.

Studlintsean
07-27-2013, 22:28
We used the Zpacks Hwxamid Twin for our thru-hike this year. We started March 5 and had plenty of snow. This tent performed amazingly. We tented about 80 percent of the time and it is still in great shape. I will be taking it on the PCT as well.

Congrats on the thru hike man.

Is he one of the few this year so far to report back and is there a 2013 pictures thread yet?

double d
07-28-2013, 00:45
I use and see a lot of Hubba Hubba tents-great, lightweight two person tent.

Zippy Morocco
07-28-2013, 09:54
Congrats on the thru hike man.

Is he one of the few this year so far to report back and is there a 2013 pictures thread yet?

Thank you Studlintsean,

Diddo and I finished pretty early, numbers 41&42. There are several other WBers that have finished too though I don't know their WB handles. Long Gone is one.

I haven't seen a picture thread but maybe I will start one when I get back to my home PCT.

Sorry to stray from the topic.

On the tent note. I really like the looks of Lightheart's tents if you have to have something free standing. I understand that they are not currently making the cuben tents though :'(. I am Pretty sold on cuben.

jeffmeh
07-28-2013, 16:13
Congrats Zippy.

Also, Lightheart tents are not freestanding by what I understand as the common definition (no stakes or lines tied to external objects required for the tent to retain its basic shape).

RF_ace
07-28-2013, 17:12
hilleberg rajd

bigcranky
07-28-2013, 21:21
Tarptent Notch or Moment. Plenty of room inside for gear.

Re: waterproof bivy sack. A few minutes thought about how you will get in and out in a driving rain storm should suffice. A breathable bivy can work very well with a lightweight tarp, but the waterproof bivies are really designed for mountaineering.

ColoradoWalt
07-30-2013, 23:45
I love my six moons design lunar duo. Requires trekking poles. It's downright palatial for one. I'm 6'3" and there is plenty of length for me.

Shovel69
07-31-2013, 10:36
I'd be interested in the Golite Imogene UL2, or the Montbell Crescent 2. I have no experience with them, but I think that you should take a look.

Gambit McCrae
07-31-2013, 12:22
http://tarptent.com/ end of story, final, the best there is right here. It is proven to last, and protect from the worst of conditions. I have been protected from 40 mph winds and storm atop big hump, skeeters in the swamps, and from backache due to its lightness. They are roomy, and bomb proof

Abela
09-13-2013, 22:53
I'm going with just myself but I don't want to leave my gear out where someone can take it or the gear can get ruined so I'll be storing it in my tent with me. I'm going to be starting early in the year so I need something that can keep taking a load of snow at the start. And something light weight that can fit inside of a pack easily. Any and all recommendations would be great. Thanks!

If you are looking for the lightest of the lightest, you could check out my Two-person Sub 900 gram Fully Enclosed Shelters (http://hikelighter.com/2012/10/14/two-person-sub-900-gram-fully-enclosed-shelters-2/) comparison.

It is mostly for those seeking out SUL two person shelters and do not worry about their bank account.

But it could give you an idea of what is out there and use it to compare the weights of what is possible against what you are considering.