PDA

View Full Version : Pinhoti Trail Maintenance

Matt65
07-27-2013, 09:00
Does anyone have information on upcoming Trail Maintenance? I have not heard much since leaving the AlaTrails forum.

http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/maintguidelines.html

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

blisterbob
07-27-2013, 11:15
Does anyone have information on upcoming Trail Maintenance? I have not heard much since leaving the AlaTrails forum.

http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/maintguidelines.html

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
For USFS maintenance plans contact;
[email protected]

For individual volunteer contact;
[email protected]
(John is in France on the G5 trail but will be back soon)

al_stargazer
07-27-2013, 13:39
We are looking at doing some trail cleaning/maintenance during September on Rebecca Mt. We haven't decided on which weekend yet. I will post it when we decide. :-)

blisterbob
07-27-2013, 20:35
This spring after the March 18 th. storms did so much damage I started at 603A trail head working my
way north on the Pinhoti clearing the heavy obstructions with my chain saw. I got to US 431 TH before
the hot weather caused me to delay my chores til fall and I will resume.

al_stargazer
08-11-2013, 12:49
We appreciate your work Bob!! Hopefully that helped with the summer growth. There's a patch of briars on top of Rebecca that will beat you up and make you look like you have been in a cat fight. :-) After looking through our calendars....We have decided to have a work day on Rebecca on Saturday, October 12th. We are hoping to have enough workers to split up into groups so we can knock it out in one day. If not, we will work again on Sunday.

blisterbob
08-11-2013, 16:26
Even in March I could tell that area would be a 'blood letting' come mid summer.

ednotmilkman
08-14-2013, 00:19
I can bring the DR mower to make quick work of the briars, entering from the road up to the decommissioned, west comm. tower. If the briars are really impenetrable, I could make plans to cut it sooner than Oct. if you think it needs it. Also the DR plus a weedeater works well on the Horn Mountain fire tower area. I wonder if the Forest Service mows that area with a bush hog at least once a year anyway? Does AHTS have a DR mower available anywhere north of Eric Douglas' machine at Andalusia? I wonder if there is any approved "brush herbicide" that the FS would OK using directly in the trail for blackberries ?

marti038
08-15-2013, 09:00
Even in March I could tell that area would be a 'blood letting' come mid summer.

Can you give me an approximate idea of where this is? Is it a long stretch or just a few yards?

I'll be hiking this section later this month and may carry my machete if it's necessary.

ednotmilkman
08-16-2013, 00:13
Hi Marti,

you can walk around the spots without much problems anyway. The only reason we left the trail in the briars was because that's where the old roadbed was, so it's flat and easy to mow. you will walk on a few more rocks or on the side hill when you go around, but no serious delays and the woods are open enough you can see where you should be. The briars start maybe 1/2 mile west of the west comm. tower on top of the ridge - Rebecca Mountain section. I suppose the long range solution would be to cut in a new trail going around all the bad brushy sections. We'll do that after we connect Flagg Mountain through the woods to the rest of the Pinhoti !