PDA

View Full Version : Camp Sites at Black Balsam

Stale Cracker
08-01-2005, 14:14
I want to do a weekender up at Black Balsam the other side of Brevard this weekend and would like to drive up Friday afternoon and get to a camp site near the trail head that night.

At there any established camp sites close to the trail head say within an hours hike?

Thanks

VGA

The Solemates
08-01-2005, 14:20
tons. there are sites everywhere in pisgah. its all national forest land, so have at it. just LNT.

ed bell
08-01-2005, 19:31
I concur with the Solemates. Tons of quick overnight sites around, near and on top of the trailheads for the Shining Rock Wilderness Area and Black Balsam Knob itself. Hell, if the weather is good you could make camp on the Southern slopes of that incredible mountain after hiking in the dark. Lots of wide open grassey areas. All you need is a good headlamp or moonshine, er, I mean moonlight. Moonshine is nice too, though.:sun

NotYet
08-01-2005, 19:35
The valley to the east of Black Balsam is Graveyard Fields...lots of camping options but hordes of people (short hike in from Blue Ridge Parkway overlook). The valley to the west of Black Balsam is Flat Laurel Creek...also lots of camping, usually with less people than Graveyard Fields. There are 3 trails that lead about a mile or so down to Flat Laurel Creek from the Black Balsam/Sam Knob parking lot on FS 816 (and there are several possible sites well before the creek...some people even car camp in the trees back behind the vault toilet...kind of stinky for me, though!). In both of these valleys most folks I know recommend getting your water from side creeks.

Chip
08-01-2005, 20:16
Check out the National Geographic map of Pisgah NF. If you don't have one, get one. You will see what the others are saying regarding places to camp on your first night before your weekend backpack.

Happy Trails,
Chip ;)

Tha Wookie
08-02-2005, 00:49
Good advice here. Be ready for wind.

rainmaker
08-02-2005, 21:48
I love that wind, like freight trains in the night.

Ramble~On
08-03-2005, 04:44
Moonshine..err umm..Yeah !!
If you get in late the parking area is located next to a stand of trees.
Plenty of suitable sites in that grove. Good piped spring is about 100 yds past the gate on the Ivestor Gap Trail. East of the parking area is Sam Knob...the big mountain with a large saddle on top. Just to the left of Sam Knob is Flat Laurel Creek with plenty of excellent sites and good water. The Flat Laurel Creek Trail starts at the southern end of the parking area..(it is signed)
Ivestor Gap isn't far from the parking area either and just before the gap on the right is a pretty nice open, grassy site...you'll pass the water source for that site just before you enter the gap.

Happy Trails

The Solemates
08-03-2005, 07:55
East of the parking area is Sam Knob...the big mountain with a large saddle on top. Just to the left of Sam Knob is Flat Laurel Creek with plenty of excellent sites and good water.
Happy Trails

excellent suggestion. camped here before. there is a very interesting tree at this campsite. you will know what i mean if you see it.

Stale Cracker
08-03-2005, 08:00
Thanks SpiritWind. Sounds like just the sort of site I am looking for.

Moonshine..err umm..Yeah !!
If you get in late the parking area is located next to a stand of trees.
Plenty of suitable sites in that grove. Good piped spring is about 100 yds past the gate on the Ivestor Gap Trail. East of the parking area is Sam Knob...the big mountain with a large saddle on top. Just to the left of Sam Knob is Flat Laurel Creek with plenty of excellent sites and good water. The Flat Laurel Creek Trail starts at the southern end of the parking area..(it is signed)
Ivestor Gap isn't far from the parking area either and just before the gap on the right is a pretty nice open, grassy site...you'll pass the water source for that site just before you enter the gap.

Happy Trails

Ramble~On
08-04-2005, 04:56
Stale Cracker,

I've spent years backpacking in this area, Shining Rock / Middle Prong and Pisgah. If you have any questions at all about trails, roads or the surrounding area just ask..I hope I can be a help.

Happy Trails :sun

NotYet
08-04-2005, 22:12
East of the parking area is Sam Knob...the big mountain with a large saddle on top. Just to the left of Sam Knob is Flat Laurel Creek with plenty of excellent sites and good water. The Flat Laurel Creek Trail starts at the southern end of the parking area

I just want to clarify that Sam Knob is the mountain to the west of the p-lot. BTW, Sam Knob is a spectacular mountain (and a really rewarding hike for kids, too!).

There are 2 trails that lead down to Flat Laurel Creek from the south end of the p-lot...an old road (the longest way down) and a heavily eroded path (the shortest way down)--this 2nd way was pretty overgrown when I was there a couple of weeks ago. I think the nicest way down to Flat Laurel Creek from the parking lot is to follow the Sam Knob Trail which starts just to the north of the vault toilet. At the end of the big field, turn left onto the Flat Laurel Creek Trail and follow it down...this way is between the other two in distance, but in my opinion it's more interesting and better maintained.

This entire area has many loop options!

bwgride
02-02-2009, 00:32
Sorry to revive this old thread, but it answered most questions I had except about campfires. I understand that campfires are not allowed in the Shining Rock Wilderness area, but are campfires allowed around Flat Laurel Creek, Black Balsam, and Sam's Knob? It appears these areas are not in the Wilderness and are not part of the campfire prohibition.

ed bell
02-02-2009, 01:28
Sorry to revive this old thread, but it answered most questions I had except about campfires. I understand that campfires are not allowed in the Shining Rock Wilderness area, but are campfires allowed around Flat Laurel Creek, Black Balsam, and Sam's Knob? It appears these areas are not in the Wilderness and are not part of the campfire prohibition.Correct. The Shining Rock Wilderness Area begins about a mile or so up the Ivestor Gap gravel road. The areas you mentioned are not in the Wilderness Area. I would refrain from having a fire on Sam's Knob or Black Balsam Knob. Exposure, wind and lack of fallen deadwood are the norm.

bwgride
02-02-2009, 01:44
Hi -- thanks for the quick reply and suggestions.