PDA

View Full Version : I'm glad I ignored my psychiatrist's advice and did not find myself a hiking partner

ekih
07-28-2013, 09:55
the guy keeps telling me that I need to find myself a hiking partner, or partner(s). but yesterday I stumbled upon this web page (http://www.hiking-for-her.com/malehikingpartner.html) and read this jewel:

"You should be on the trail with a man who is not out to prove anything in terms of how quickly he can gain the summit, how far he can hike in one day, how long he can last without a water break. Those kinds of people, male or female, are just not worth your trail time."

And if that comment reflects the feelings of most hikers, then I am not the kind of hiker who is worth most hikers' 'trail time'.

So I'm glad I ignored my psychiatrist's advice, because if I had found myself a hiking partner I would have undoubtedly been rejected and that would have only hurt my mental health even further

Another Kevin
07-28-2013, 10:29
Not most hikers at all! At least, not the people that I hike with. Most, in fact, would respond to that kind of nonsense with, "if you're in such a blasted hurry, why are you walking?" But yeah, there are some idiot jocks out there, and it seems that too many of those are crazed pink-blazers. A small but obnoxious minority of the general hiking community.

HikerMom58
07-28-2013, 10:32
Not most hikers at all! At least, not the people that I hike with. Most, in fact, would respond to that kind of nonsense with, "if you're in such a blasted hurry, why are you walking?" But yeah, there are some idiot jocks out there, and it seems that too many of those are crazed pink-blazers. A small but obnoxious minority of the general hiking community.

+1.......................

Slo-go'en
07-28-2013, 10:53
I have found that goal orintated, type A personalities are a bit difficult to get along with as hiking partners...

Wise Old Owl
07-28-2013, 11:00
"You should be on the trail with a man who is not out to prove anything in terms of how quickly he can gain the summit, how far he can hike in one day, how long he can last without a water break. Those kinds of people, male or female, are just not worth your trail time."

That might be harder to find than you think.....22997

kayak karl
07-28-2013, 11:01

Drybones
07-28-2013, 11:33
Just a note on this weaker sex thing...probably the strongest hiker I saw this spring was a sweet young lady, I'd put her up against any of the young dudes I saw. We did a 23 mile stretch across the Mt Rogers/Geyson Highlands area in deep snow, her and a guy left before me in the early morning, I passed the guy at 11:00 and when I got to the Old Orchard Shelter she was set up and settled into her bag.

Fredt4
07-28-2013, 16:15
Regarding psychiatrist, don't trust them they're all nuts. My psychiatrist was scheming with my inner child to get rid of my imaginary friend.

Dogwood
07-28-2013, 16:37
Welcome to WB Ekih. I'm not following your post. PLEASE let's take it back a bit. Here's what I'm understanding. You're seeing a psychiatrist. Is that helping you? If the answer is YES than why is it that you think the psychiatrist is recommending that you need to find yourself a hiking partner, or partner(s)? Let's answer that first.

Sailing_Faith
07-28-2013, 17:26
Regarding psychiatrist, don't trust them they're all nuts. My psychiatrist was scheming with my inner child to get rid of my imaginary friend.

+1 .

Drybones
07-28-2013, 18:04

Agree. Only had dealings with them twice, wife took the youngest son when he was 5, later on in life the wife started seeing one for a while. They did nothing to help in either case, I solved both problems, bounced the sons head off the kitchen table three times, no more issues, had the wife get a good study Bible and running shoes, problem solved. If you want someone to listen to you I suggest starting with God, the fees are reasonable and I've had excellent results...remember psychiatrists make money treating you, not curing you.

Fredt4
07-28-2013, 18:18
What happened in my case was that Me, Myself & I got together and got rid of my Inner Child and the psychiatrist. It was ugly but it just had to happen especially with all the bickering going on in my head. Just when I would find a majestic sight and would start t experience a moment of solitude the voices would start.

On another note, I noticed that many hiking buddies ended up hiking alone or with another after a few weeks.

rocketsocks
07-28-2013, 18:45
the guy keeps telling me that I need to find myself a hiking partner, or partner(s). but yesterday I stumbled upon this web page (http://www.hiking-for-her.com/malehikingpartner.html) and read this jewel:

And if that comment reflects the feelings of most hikers, then I am not the kind of hiker who is worth most hikers' 'trail time'.

So I'm glad I ignored my psychiatrist's advice, because if I had found myself a hiking partner I would have undoubtedly been rejected and that would have only hurt my mental health even further

So what keeps an opposite-gender hiking relationship strong?A good sense of humor, lack of ego, ability to see things from a different perspective, willingness to lead or be led, and the freedom to speak your mind without feeling stupid or wimpy. And taking turns bringing cookies.

Here's what I think you may be missing in the blog...you don't bake? those that don't bake, buy...problem solved.

Dogwood
07-28-2013, 19:04
Let's get away from the anti-psychiatrist rant for a moment folks.

Ekih, you're trying to justify ignoring your psychiatrist's recommendation based on the flawed premise that had you found a hiking partner you "would have undoubtedly been rejected and that would have only hurt your mental health even further." Can you understand why that premise is flawed? Having a hiker partner does not equal you feeling rejected! You get to choose the people, all with different individual personalities, who you might consider hiking with. You can find hiking partners that meet the qualifications you desire in hiking partners. Not all or, IMHO, the majority of hikers can be described the way that some hikers are described in that article you read.
Let me ask again, why do you think the psychiatrist recommended you find a hiking partner or group to hike with? Can you see any possible benefits for you, as well as possibly others, for hiking in small groups? Why did the psychiatrist tell you that?

Dogwood
07-28-2013, 19:13
Could it be you feeling rejected is not just about you having a hiking partner or not but possibly by you thinking you are more vulnerable to feeling rejection and possibly pain when you intimately around people or groups in general?

Dogwood
07-28-2013, 19:17
when you are intimately around

kayak karl
07-28-2013, 19:26
think he feels he would of been rejected because he's a passive suicidal hiker.

so whats your plan. no partner or lie to them?

Spirit Walker
07-28-2013, 19:36
There are all kinds of hikers out there. There are driven ones and laid back ones. If you want a partner, you may be able to find one with a style that matches yours. There is no question of rejection when someone has a different style. Just start hiking and you will keep running into people who are hiking at the same speed and taking the same kind of breaks you do. There will be someone who is compatible, if you want to find someone to hike with.

Onedawg
07-28-2013, 19:42

I know the feeling. I used to be schizophrenic, but we're all better now.

Rasty
07-28-2013, 19:48

I know the feeling. I used to be schizophrenic, but we're all better now.

We are not!

Fredt4
07-28-2013, 21:19
Advantage of being schizophrenic is you can usually get the group therapy rate.

A good sense of humor, (usually means he's crazy)
lack of ego, (good luck)
ability to see things from a different perspective, (he's a man, it won't happen)
willingness to lead or be led, (you're looking for a dance partner?)
and the freedom to speak your mind without feeling stupid or wimpy. (a smart man knows how to appear that he's listening
and taking turns bringing cookies. (you don't want my cookies, perhaps spaghetti?)

As for the type of hikers out there, I once said to a girlfriend about a apparent nut, "It takes all kinds." She replied, "No it doesn't, it's just that we got them". Several good movies touch this subject, so the issue is not new. Yes, there's a good hiking buddy out there but there no guarantee you'll meet them or more importantly when.

As a comedian once said, "I knew she was the one for me when I realized she also had issues",
Suggested movies to watch:
Silver Lining, Playbook - we'll all crazy and sometimes the one is there
500 Days of Summer - basically life is random

Bottom line, hiking is an activity, you'll find all kinds of people, some stranger than others. Not all hikers like all other hikers, some don't even like themselves. Either way, get out there and set what happens, worst thing that could happen is you'll die, but I have it on good authority that that's in everyone's cards, so don't worry about it. Besides I'm willing to wager that if you don't get out there you die sooner

Lone Wolf
07-28-2013, 21:22

oy vey! :rolleyes:

rocketsocks
07-28-2013, 21:30
oy vey! :rolleyes:that's what I was thinking, but forgot how to spell it :D

Lone Wolf
07-28-2013, 21:32
just another B S thread in a long line of them recently

Wise Old Owl
07-28-2013, 21:53
I agree - one that I tried not to answer.... as a group we see that this was really a bad start... if you want to go backpacking with little or nothing that's his decision...he does not need our help on the internet to validate a OK idea for a section hike, but a dumb idea for a long term trip..

Just Bill
07-28-2013, 21:54
I have found that goal orintated, type A personalities are a bit difficult to get along with as hiking partners...

Those folks just turn into mile pushing solo hikers anyway- you DEFINITLEY don't want to hike with them. ;) While it's insensitive to ignore this type of thread, perhaps it's a good plan. If this is truly a "person in need" what they needed is certainly not being provided.

Alligator
07-28-2013, 22:33
Ok folks, this could be a troll, or the person could need counseling. If the first, well, don't feed it. If the second though, no need to make the mentally ill jokes.

Wise Old Owl
07-28-2013, 22:46
How about locking the thread anyway ... give the guy some time to reflect.

chief
07-28-2013, 23:24
How about leaving the moderating to the moderators.

Dogwood
07-29-2013, 00:52
Good advice Gator. Thank you.

Just Bill
07-29-2013, 08:32
Dogwood (and others)- Low post count, quick log-off (not hanging around for the answer they are "desperately" seeking), and in general a goofy sounding post...probably bogus. (Oddly enough though it describes my first post- Just Bill Passes the ball to Lone Wolf- Lone Wolf drives down the lane for the easy score...)

Slo-go'en
07-29-2013, 09:32
I can't decide if this should be in the humor forum or not. The OP seems to be making a statement based on the quote from the web site. It's just difficult to tell if the OP would like to have a macho partner or would be that macho partner... ?

So, whatcha think? Do you want a partner who wants to prove how far they can hike in a day and gets to the summit the quickest or someone a bit more laid back ?

rocketsocks
07-29-2013, 09:40
I can't decide if this should be in the humor forum or not. The OP seems to be making a statement based on the quote from the web site. It's just difficult to tell if the OP would like to have a macho partner or would be that macho partner... ?

So, whatcha think? Do you want a partner who wants to prove how far they can hike in a day and gets to the summit the quickest or someone a bit more laid back ?Could be one and the same I suppose, wont know till he comes back, then we ask him.

As I was hiking up to "The Stairs"
I met a man who wasn't there
he wasn't there again today
I wish I wish he'd go away