PDA

View Full Version : shelter conditions as of 7-20-2013

slow moe
07-28-2013, 17:21
Over the next few days I hope to give some info. about the shelters i stayed at last week on our thru hike of the smokies. I will start with our first day at Cosby Knob shelter.

The shelter itself was in great condition. the bunks were very flat and not leaning. The roof did not leak. the fireplace did need cleaning out but we did not start a fire. the water source was flowing well with no problems. the eating area was not congested with the other 2 men who were staying there. the privy was small and difficult for me to move around in. it also had bees and flies. bear cables were in good condition.
It had been 17 years since I stayed at this shelter but it was a good experience for my wife, daughter and myself.
I hope this help in your planning.

Sailing_Faith
07-28-2013, 17:23
Welcome to whiteblaze Moe!

Nice first post, glad you are having a good hike!

Chris10
07-28-2013, 17:48
Looking forward to the other reviews! In my VERY limited experience on the AT, it seems like, in general, and for a variety of reasons, the privies are a great place to avoid.
Any mice issues?

slow moe
07-28-2013, 22:27
mice are always there, in all shelters. On this trip I didn't think they were as bad. I did not see the legendary tuna cans strung across the shelter like in previous years. Bear cables replaced those. But I did overhear another hiker say that their pack had a mouse in it despite it being hung on the bear cable.

Pedaling Fool
07-29-2013, 08:59
mice are always there, in all shelters. On this trip I didn't think they were as bad. I did not see the legendary tuna cans strung across the shelter like in previous years. Bear cables replaced those. But I did overhear another hiker say that their pack had a mouse in it despite it being hung on the bear cable.
That's interesting, I wonder if the mice are learning will the new source of food is :-?

If that's the case you're going to want them tuna cans.

madgoat
07-29-2013, 09:47
We had mice in our food bags several years ago at campsite 37... and that was shortly after the cable systems were installed. Lots of mice at 37... since it is so heavily used.

TNhiker
07-29-2013, 10:29
there are very few (think one or two) campsites/shelters in the Park that do not have mice....

HooKooDooKu
07-29-2013, 12:19
But I did overhear another hiker say that their pack had a mouse in it despite it being hung on the bear cable.
A relative was telling be about just this sort of thing just last week. They've actually observed a mouse climbing the cables to get to the packs. As a result, they hang now hang their packs from a mouse-trap even when using bear cables. (He's described the trap as an up-side-down 2L Coke bottle with the bottom cut off.)

TNhiker
07-29-2013, 14:19
A relative was telling be about just this sort of thing just last week. They've actually observed a mouse climbing the cables to get to the packs. As a result, they hang now hang their packs from a mouse-trap even when using bear cables. (He's described the trap as an up-side-down 2L Coke bottle with the bottom cut off.)

ive seen pictures that the Park Service has taken with bears teetering along the cables trying to get to the packs...

they (the bears) have also figured out that they can shake the cables and something may fall...

that's why i always use a carbiner to clip into the cable, as i dont necessarily trust the open faced hooks......

Sunshine82
08-06-2013, 12:47
The furry little critters climbed the bear cables and chewed a hole in my food bag last week at Derrick knob,then chewed thru the side pouch of my boyfriends pack where there wasn't even any food.The shelters in the Smokies were super clean

madgoat
08-06-2013, 13:03
Several years ago at campsite 37, we had a mouse chew his way into our food bag, and transfer about a cup of trail mix to somebody else's pack on another cable. The mouse was apparently trying to create a nice little home for itself.

We found the evidence of the theft when we took down our food bags. A bit later, somebody from another campsite came asking if we had brought trail mix..... because he had found it.

HooKooDooKu
08-06-2013, 14:24
I was at campsite 37 this weekend. I tried using something like the tuna can system to keep mice way from my food. I'm not totally sure if it worked or not. The next night, I found a hole in the bottom of my food bag. I don't recall seeing any of the inner food bags getting breached, so is might have simply been a hole from wear (I've used this same food bag for years). But it's an interesting coincidence that the 1st time I noticed a hole was the day after using camp site 37.

But like I said, I tried to hang my food bag and back packs from a tuna can type system (though I was using an old 2 liter soda bottle bottom). Makes me wonder if I was doing it right. Well, rather than hijacking this thread, I'll start a new on: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?97358-Tuna-Can-Mobiles-(keeping-mice-from-your-food)

sliderule
08-06-2013, 16:18
But I did overhear another hiker say that their pack had a mouse in it despite it being hung on the bear cable.

Reckon there might be a reason they are called "bear cables" and not "mice cables?"

Bear cables are not a significant deterrent to mice. In fact, their existance just allows the mice to narrow their search area.