PDA

View Full Version : Suicide in Baxter near AT

Bluegrass
08-01-2005, 15:40
A quick update, since the librarian in Monson is about to kick me out of here, but Shaw's and the Lake House in Monson are giving out flyers to any SOBO hikers who were in Baxter last weekend (24/25 July 2005) concerning an apparent suicide near Elbow Lake, right off the AT in Baxter.

Imagine my surprise when my name was listed on the memo! (Ms. Shaw was quick to point out I was not a suspect, but the police just wanted some information).

I called the police and met with the Special Agent. When I have more time I will write a more detailed description (while trying to respect the privacy of the family of the poor gentleman).

These things unfortunately do happen. It appears this was a one-time thing, and not associated with the AT other than location.

papa john
08-01-2005, 17:32
It appears this was a one-time thing ? How do you mean? Suicide is quite final.

Was the man a hiker or just a visitor to the park?

justusryans
08-01-2005, 19:30
Suicide typically is a one time thing if done correctly!

Big Dawg
08-01-2005, 19:31
? How do you mean? Suicide is quite final.

Was the man a hiker or just a visitor to the park?
Papa John,, I think he meant being on the AT was a one time thing,,, in other words, not a hiker,,, just a sad soul who happened to be on/near the AT (for the 1st time) when taking his life. Sad :(

TakeABreak
08-02-2005, 02:45
It looks like this is turning out to be a sad year in the hiking (or outdoor )community after all.

Jaybird
08-02-2005, 05:19
A quick update, since the librarian in Monson is about to kick me out of here, but Shaw's and the Lake House in Monson are giving out flyers to any SOBO hikers who were in Baxter last weekend (24/25 July 2005) concerning an apparent suicide near Elbow Lake, right off the AT in Baxter............etc,etc,etc,.......Imagine my surprise when my name was listed on the memo! (Ms. Shaw was quick to point out I was not a suspect, but the police just wanted some information).I called the police and met with the Special Agent. When I have more time I will write a more detailed description (while trying to respect the privacy of the family of the poor gentleman).These things unfortunately do happen. It appears this was a one-time thing, and not associated with the AT other than location.

We can ALL keep the family in our thoughts & prayers.
Thanks for your sensitivity, Bluegrass!

papa john
08-02-2005, 06:57
I think he meant being on the AT was a one time thing
Thanks for the clarification. This is truly a sad story. Given that most of us here regard Baxter Park as a desired place to be, it is really sad that someone could go there and still be despondent enough to take their life.

Bluegrass
08-02-2005, 11:00
Yeah, must to clarify - the young man apparently used hiking the AT as a guise for "disappearing" for a few months (so friends, family, etc. would not notice his absense). Based on what I have learned of the incident, it was very pre-meditated.

I have been trained in suicide identification and prevention for various jobs, and there is one thing I have always figured out when it comes to suicide - if someone is truly determined to take their own life, there is nothing anyone else can do. This gentleman was determined and was ultimately successful.

I only met the young man for a few minutes - the same person picked us up hitching from Millinocket to Baxter, and therefore we entered the park together registered at the same time at the toll gate into the park. We then walked together for about a mile on Perimeter Road (he stopped to adjust some of his clothing, and I wanted to pick up the pace, so we went our separate ways at that point).

At no point did he give any indication that he had anything planned other than starting a SOBO thru-hike.

Truly a sad occurance. Please keep his family and friends in your thoughts.

K-Bear
08-02-2005, 11:42
Sad?........are you sure?
I celebrate his courage and his pain. Both are noble experiences.
His family will be in my thoughts.
.................................................. .................................................. .................