PDA

View Full Version : Why are you thru-hiking?

JeffBliss
07-28-2013, 21:01
So, I wanted to throw this question out there in hopes of connecting with anyone and everyone attempting to thru-hike next year. Why are you thru-hiking? What drives you to do this?

I'll start the ball rolling by saying that I kind of had a pipe dream of hiking the AT many years ago but it was during a rough period of time that most youth go through and I chalked it up to that phase in life of "Oh let's do something radical like join the Army, Navy, etc"

However, ever since moving out to New York and exploring the Adirondacks and the surrounding mountains and falling in love with them, my drive to thru-hike the AT has only gotten stronger and stronger. Plus, on a more emotional stand point, I feel like I really don't have anything holding me back here in NY anymore. My passion is the mountains. My love is the mountains. I feel happy in the mountains and I yearn for that happiness more and more. I feel like the AT is that culmination and its calling is only getting stronger as the days go on.

So with that said, What brings you here? Why will you be thru-hiking?

Different Socks
07-28-2013, 23:01
Did my hike in 1992 b/c i read a book about Cindi Ross's hike on the PCT and AT. Turns out I was fulfilling a dream I'd wanted to do since I was a teenager, I'd just forgotten about it.

Dogwood
07-29-2013, 00:45
I'm going to do another thru-hike just so I can keep from continuing to cyber hike.

WeShallSee
07-29-2013, 03:24
This past spring I read "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed and "Thru-hiking" by Paul Stutzman. Those books reactivated a thought I had had many times over the years. The timing seemed good, so why not go for it. Now I can hardly wait. It even motivates me to get out of my chair and walk every day to start.

Autummyst
07-29-2013, 14:27
Hi Jeff! My fiance (soon to be husband) and I are hiking in 2014, leaving in mid-late February. It was his idea to start with, although we both have an adventurous streak in us and have done quite a few fun adventures in life. But for me, the reason his idea really latched onto me was simply the idea of being in nature a majority of the time and being relatively self sufficient. I can tell that over consumption of modern life is not good for me mentally or physically and I've been making lots of little changes to combat this. For example, we don't have cable or television and avoid magazines with odd societal messages in them like "you must look or act like this to be a worthy person". I'm a sociology teacher, so I especially look at these things with an analytically eye. I know for both of us, it's not so much to evaluate ourselves or 'grow' although I'm sure that will be a natural by product. I'm 31 and he's 27, so we are a bit past that kind of stage in life (early 20's who am I stuff). I think for us, it's more a yearning to be closer to nature, to be in total touch with our physical selves, and to have a more objective lens on life in general.

I have no idea if any of that made sense :o But it's basically the idea.

:)

JeffBliss
07-29-2013, 18:32
Hi Jeff! My fiance (soon to be husband) and I are hiking in 2014, leaving in mid-late February. It was his idea to start with, although we both have an adventurous streak in us and have done quite a few fun adventures in life. But for me, the reason his idea really latched onto me was simply the idea of being in nature a majority of the time and being relatively self sufficient. I can tell that over consumption of modern life is not good for me mentally or physically and I've been making lots of little changes to combat this. For example, we don't have cable or television and avoid magazines with odd societal messages in them like "you must look or act like this to be a worthy person". I'm a sociology teacher, so I especially look at these things with an analytically eye. I know for both of us, it's not so much to evaluate ourselves or 'grow' although I'm sure that will be a natural by product. I'm 31 and he's 27, so we are a bit past that kind of stage in life (early 20's who am I stuff). I think for us, it's more a yearning to be closer to nature, to be in total touch with our physical selves, and to have a more objective lens on life in general.

I have no idea if any of that made sense :o But it's basically the idea.

:)

That makes perfect sense and that sounds like a wonderful reason to thru-hike! :) Have you and your fiance been hitting up any of the hikes around CT or New England/NY in preparation for the AT?

Autummyst
07-29-2013, 21:56
That makes perfect sense and that sounds like a wonderful reason to thru-hike! :) Have you and your fiance been hitting up any of the hikes around CT or New England/NY in preparation for the AT?

Yes! We actually just did a trip last week :) It was our first backpacking trip. We did a couple days in CT/MA and then drove to NH to spend a few days in the White Mountains. We LOVED it. It was a lot harder than we though it would be (we are regular hikers, but not backpackers). The backpack added such a different element to it. But it was so rewarding.

How about you? Have you done anything like this before?

JeffBliss
07-30-2013, 18:00
Yes! We actually just did a trip last week :) It was our first backpacking trip. We did a couple days in CT/MA and then drove to NH to spend a few days in the White Mountains. We LOVED it. It was a lot harder than we though it would be (we are regular hikers, but not backpackers). The backpack added such a different element to it. But it was so rewarding.

How about you? Have you done anything like this before?

That's great! My first real backpacking trip is coming up next week so I'm pretty excited about it. I've done overnighters before but never carried like 3-4 days of supplies so I know that extra weight will add an entirely new dimension to it.

And nope, never really backpacked before! Hell, I wasn't even a hiker until a few years ago so I'm still pretty much a newbie haha. I try to hit up the Adirondacks once or twice a month though but it's usually day trips or an overnight at most.

Dogwood
07-30-2013, 20:52
Why are you thru-hiking?
So, I wanted to throw this question out there in hopes of connecting with anyone and everyone attempting to thru-hike next year. Why are you thru-hiking? What drives you to do this?

I mostly solo long distance hike. I hike for several reasons. Hiking forces us to come to terms with ourselves! The walls, facades, institutions, and beliefs that have been erected that we mistakenly believe will always protect us, in large part, come tumbling down. Hiking can force us to get raw get real get honest with ourselves. Sometimes we can have problems with this. In a nutshell, I think it significantly contributes to why the drop out rate is so high on the AT.

'It's not the mountain we conquer-but ourselves.' Sir Edmund Hillary

It's not the trail, thru-hike, or wilderness we conquer - but ourselves - Paraphrased by Dogwood

I find a very unexpected thing occurring for me though. As I've come to tems with my own humanity I've also become clearer in how I relate to the rest of humanity and I better and more clearly see humanity as a whole.

Autummyst
07-31-2013, 00:45
That's great! My first real backpacking trip is coming up next week so I'm pretty excited about it. I've done overnighters before but never carried like 3-4 days of supplies so I know that extra weight will add an entirely new dimension to it.

And nope, never really backpacked before! Hell, I wasn't even a hiker until a few years ago so I'm still pretty much a newbie haha. I try to hit up the Adirondacks once or twice a month though but it's usually day trips or an overnight at most.

Enjoy your hike Jeff! Definitely tell us about it when you get back :) We are essentially hiking newbs too, but have had a lot of varied life experiences that make us feel confident in our ability to do it. Like Dogwood mentioned, I bet it's the taking a very good look at yourself that throws a lot of people off. My fiance and call it "clearing the cobwebs of your soul" (which might sound corny, but is how we visualize it). It's not always pleasant to take a look at that stuff and many people don't have the wherewithal to stand that type of introspection. But, if you push through it, the reward and clarity of mind is so worth the unpleasant parts of that process. I'm sure we have a few more cobwebs that need clearing...and I'm sure the Trail will shed light on it :o

fertilizer
07-31-2013, 15:49
So with that said, What brings you here? Why will you be thru-hiking?

Good Thread.

1) I love to hike/backpack-Except for last weekend, I've been hiking/backpacking every weekend for the past 4 months.
2) I'm attracted to the difficulty- Worthwhile efforts can be quiet invigorating.
3) I love the outdoors and the simple life associated with backpacking.

I did a backpacking trip from Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap in the Smokies last March and almost continued North.

J

SandyReid
07-31-2013, 21:48
I've been hiking the northeast GA mountains for years and love it. When renewing my photos after hikes I began noticing a trend of many pictures taken of the empty trail ahead. One time I remarked, "The trail is beckoning". I've been the primary care giver for my mother, who now receives hospice oversight. While pondering what I might do after her death I was thinking outside the box and randomly throwing out ideas. As soon as I said, "walk the AT", it was YES! That is exactly what I want to do. It has been a great diversion planning the logistics of the hike, becoming a member of the AT community, and assembling gear. While there are many other issues to figure out after mom's passing, I will let the Trail work on them. Some of the aspects I want to experience are: spiritual insights and closer relationship with God, releasing schedules, getting in touch with the earth's rhythm, sun rise/moon cycles, nature, getting in better shape/lose weight, nature, making lifelong friends, and whatever else the trail teaches me.

QuabbinHiker
08-09-2013, 06:04
I thru hike to get away from the modern society.

trinzushi
08-21-2013, 13:37
This is such a great question!

I couldn't really tell you the true reason I'm going to pursue this hike- mainly because I don't 100% know. I watched a documentary in the past about the A.T., it's treasures, and it's hikers. Things have slowly grown from there. Last year I followed a blog of a local couple who were actually doing it and it kindled a very real thought. I realized that these were two ordinary people doing this.. and I am an ordinary person, meaning I could do this if I truly wanted to. It's spiraled from there. I've always been a hiker, but I have never backpacked before. Something about carrying only what you need and living off of it, rather than a whole house of useless materials that we cling on, pulled at my heart in a weird way. I went on a two week backpacking course with Roam the Woods in May with the hopes of gaining new skills and confidence to do a thru-hike in the future. I didn't plan it to be soon, but somewhere in my future. Well, after the two weeks I didn't really want to get off the trail. I decided to go in 2014 so I could make gear changes, preparations, and plan but I wasn't waiting any longer. I feel like I'm being called to the trail, whether I finish it or not I simply want to get out there. I want to go back to the basics of life. (Not to mentions.. eating a ton of a food a day without regrets a pretty good perk ;P ). But I think that I will find whatever my heart is pulling me into the woods to find and I honestly hope I make it the full distance, but if I don't that is OK. I am going into this without expectations, but a lot of excitement. I am excited to meet all of you out there on the trail as well! Seems we all have great reasons to get out there! :)

evansprater
09-01-2013, 15:29
I'm hiking to get away from all these ******** who say "I need..." when they come to order food at my restaurant. And people who complain about the "sweaty" smell in the gym I work out. I'm going out there for peace.

hikerboy57
09-01-2013, 16:35
a.to be totally awake, alive, and aware for 5 months

Dogwood
09-01-2013, 16:47
Why are you thru-hiking?

Late with alimony payments.

evansprater
09-01-2013, 16:51
a.to be totally awake, alive, and aware for 5 months
What he said.

Hikerboy, I kind of would like to see you out there dude. Let's trail hang!

Dogwood
09-01-2013, 16:55
a.to be totally awake, alive, and aware...

I have to work that into my communication with the GF or when at the bar at 2 a.m. seeking not go home alone.

hikerboy57
09-01-2013, 16:57
What he said.

Hikerboy, I kind of would like to see you out there dude. Let's trail hang!
I'll be out there, but im planning on taking the benton mackaye trail instead of the at from springer through the smokies, as i already sectioned springer to damascus this past spring.
i dont really care about patches or official "thru hike" status.just like living the life.
hope to see you out there, too.

Bagge Pants
09-21-2013, 23:53
It's scary sounding and I like to kick my fears in the proverbial balls. Also, I can't think of anything better to do with my time for half a year.

quasarr
09-22-2013, 00:09
To be able to eat as much ice cream as I want without an ounce of guilt!! (1 oz would be way too much for me as a dedicated ultralight hiker :banana )

geomaniac
09-22-2013, 01:27
Ive been dreaming of hiking the AT since High School. After over 30 years of dreaming, I finally woke up and realized that I still have yet to hike the trail. So I put my notice in at work, sold most of my years of accumulated stuff and am in the process of getting rid of my house. Come spring I will take that first step on the AT toward realizing that life long dream.

capehiker
09-22-2013, 11:05
I grew up almost on the trail. Getting on the AT was what we did for fun as kids during the summer. As my career took me up and down the eastern seaboard I sectioned other states. During be summer I led youth on AT hikes in New Jersey. I got the bug to do a Thru when I did the Presidentials and met Thru hikers and listening to their trip. It's been festering ever since.

frogmonkey
09-22-2013, 15:54
I was just asked this question today when I was trying on winter hiking boots. I didn't know how to respond. I first learned about the AT when I was in GSMNP and saw a sign that said one thousand something miles to Maine and started laughing. My now ex-husband told me that was the AT and that it went all the way from GA to ME. I instantly wanted to hike it just because it was 2,200 miles long. My plan was to do a thru hike when I go out of the Navy. Reading "Wild" made me want to hike it even more (and the PCT as well). I put off my thru hike when I got out of the Navy because I thought my husband would go with me when he retired from the Navy, but then I learned that he is not a fan of backpacking.

I guess I'm doing it to see if I can. I don't really care for material possessions except for those I can use to transport myself or survive (backpacking gear, my road bike, kayak, camping equipment, clothes to protect me from the elements), but I will admit I do splurge sometimes. I feel like this hike will reinforce the fact that I don't need material crap. I read an article about long distance hiking for people suffering from PTSD, that it helps them think and sort through their issues because they have nothing but time with no distractions. I feel stuck in life right now, and I'm hoping my time on the trail will help me to clear my head and find what is most important to me. I love research and planning, so right now I'm in heaven trying to figure out what gear to bring, where I should resupply and everything else. Plus, how cool is it to be able to say you walked all the way from GA to ME?

marshbirder
09-22-2013, 16:13
To be able to eat as much ice cream as I want without an ounce of guilt!! (1 oz would be way too much for me as a dedicated ultralight hiker :banana )

I came in here to say "Snickers at every meal"

AttorneyAtLunch
09-22-2013, 18:03
I graduated high school last June with no plans for college and I used hiking the Appalachian Trail as an alibi to relatives and nosy friends of the family so I wouldn't embarrass my parents with a lack of education-I phrased it as a sort of "year off" scenario where I'd try to find myself in nature. Even though it was an excuse I came up with off the cuff, it was something that grew on me, day-by-day. It gave my life a measurable and real sense of purpose, the reason I get up and work in the morning is because I have to make the money to buy my gear and food. When I don't I have leisure time, I spend it on the logistical and budgetary aspects of the hike. I'm no longer drifting through life but actively planning and readying myself for the trail.

In addition to all that, I have always lived in a city and I've never really had an extended exposure to the outdoors aside from a two-week frontier camp in grade school. My roommates and some of my friends are country boys and when I hear about their childhoods, I feel like I'm missing out on an essential component of being human.

Outdoorsman88
09-23-2013, 08:25
Because I can. Because I have the time, and am not getting any younger. Because at 25, I am lost in a world and a society that I do not fit in to. Because I need to do it. Because I want to kick-start my life before it's too late. Because life isn't meant to be lived in a 9 to 5 trapped inside a concrete and metal box all day. Because true life awaits...

windels11
10-15-2013, 21:24
Not thru hiking next year but I will be In 3 years !! Whens everyones Starting dates? Really wanna meet some thru hikers that Ive been talking to!!

Ileah7
10-15-2013, 22:56
My fiance and I will be hiking next year starting in CT, going to Maine, then coming back to CT and heading to Georgia. Our first camping trip together was to GSMNP and we starting talking about thru hiking while we were on a short section of the trail. It was an idea we had each had on our own many times, but realizing its something we both want makes it even better! We are starting in CT because we thought we should start at home, and because we can't leave until early May. To top it all off, we are planning a very small wedding in Georgia... I mean we will have walked there together, what better time to make it official!

My reasons independent of my relationship are a bit varied. I finished my masters a few years ago and have ended up in a job I don't love, its time to move on to someplace new. I am happiest out in nature, at peace if you will since its the only place I feel a "god sense." I also feel like I've been caught up with school and work for a long time and need a bit of time to find myself and focus my goals for the next few years.

zzzzzz1002003
10-22-2013, 06:01
im hikeing this trail becaus i want to do something with my life and get some real good experience hikeing with new people as all the people ive hiked with are simple small 50 mile or so trips with the scouts in my crews and troops. doing this will also let me explor more options for me as the job market sucks right now and this will let me take some time off so to speak, so i can come back strong...like a 6 month vacation.

Gonecampn
10-28-2013, 10:50
I guess I'm doing it to see if I can. I don't really care for material possessions except for those I can use to transport myself or survive (backpacking gear, my road bike, kayak, camping equipment, clothes to protect me from the elements), but I will admit I do splurge sometimes. I feel like this hike will reinforce the fact that I don't need material crap. I read an article about long distance hiking for people suffering from PTSD, that it helps them think and sort through their issues because they have nothing but time with no distractions. I feel stuck in life right now, and I'm hoping my time on the trail will help me to clear my head and find what is most important to me. I love research and planning, so right now I'm in heaven trying to figure out what gear to bring, where I should resupply and everything else. Plus, how cool is it to be able to say you walked all the way from GA to ME?

Exellent post. Sounds like one I would have written myself accept being in the Navy. Much thanks for your service! Ive dreamed of hiking the AT since I learned how to walk ;) Having children pushed that dream to the back burner. Now that the kids are semi-grown the long distance hiking dream has resurfaced. I completed 65 miles of the Benton MacKaye this year. My longest hike so far bug I was bit by the hiking bug again. As soon as I was home I longed to be on the trail again, even with torn Achilles and 4 days of none stop rain. It was so liberating. My mind was clearer than ive ever known it to be. After about two days the real world kicked back in ;) Wishing you much sucess on your journey. Im looking forward to reading your future post :)

Sent from somewhere in the woods.

Tri-Pod Bob
10-28-2013, 14:05
A 40+ year dream interrupted by raising family/career & now I can do it. I'm much more at home in the midst of Nature's gifts than I am in the "civilized" world.

aficion
10-28-2013, 14:58
Not going next year but soon enough. I have pretty much always known I would give a thru hike a go, as the beginning of a retirement to be spent largely outdoors, doing things I enjoy. The kids will be grown, there will be no job to hold me down, money won't be an issue, so I'll be free to pursue another dream.....one I've long held dear.
The woods are magical. Simplicity is its own reward. Protracted outdoor episodes have always renewed my spirit and soul. God is everywhere, but I seem to be more accessible to him out there. Nothing like a physical and mental challenge to concentrate one's focus and renew one's health. I could go on and on and on like the trail itself. Best wishes on your long hike. My time will come.

Gonecampn
10-28-2013, 16:11
A 40+ year dream interrupted by raising family/career & now I can do it. I'm much more at home in the midst of Nature's gifts than I am in the "civilized" world.

+1

GreatDane
10-28-2013, 17:13
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Not only has thru-hiking been a dream of mine for over 35 years, it is the one item on my bucket list that gives me butterflies every time I seriously think about doing it. Even after reading all the books about how hard it is. :) But every time I "decided" to go, something (usually work related) would come up, and I'd pass on it. A year ago I was sitting in my kitchen after coming home from a four day hike on the Trail in the rain with a blown IT band, and knew without question that I was not supposed to be in my kitchen, I was supposed to be on the Trail. It was such a profound feeling, I called my sister to tell her about it. Then I got caught up in work and life, and put the dream away, once again. But my sister died in January (she was only 60), and I had some heart problems in May (now resolved, thank goodness). That's when I decided that doing a thru before I die was, as my son keeps reminding me, simply not negotiable. I'm not getting any younger, and my finances are better now than they have been for a long time, so I'm going next year, no matter what.

whisper walking
10-31-2013, 07:16
I'm going because all the "I can't" thoughts in my head suddenly turned into, "Why can't I?"

Gonecampn
10-31-2013, 10:13
I'm going because all the "I can't" thoughts in my head suddenly turned into, "Why can't I?"

If you think you can or if you think you can't ..... you're right! :)

Valley Girl
11-01-2013, 14:36
I moved in with my Mother in early 2009 to be her sole caregiver 24/7 after being diagnosed with stage 5 Alzheimer's.
Now that my Mother is in assisted living I have too much time on my hands to feel alone and sorry for myself, I gained weight and lost the desire to take care of myself.
So I am doing the A.T. as my own personal boot camp.
https://www.facebook.com/valleygirl2014

Short Fox
12-03-2013, 20:28
I want to hike the AT because I'm tired of being in boxes. Our climate controlled homes, our climate controlled cars, our climate controlled stores, etc. We place something between us and the outdoors for most of our time it seems. The only "box" I want to be in is a tent at night. I want to know what it's like out there for an extended amount of time without escaping. I've camped and hiked before but it wasn't long enough. My dad always got us outside and on little day hike trails and out to the lake to sit at a picnic table and my greatest memories are those. Being outside and seeing farther than 10 feet. Seeing a view that's captivating. Opening a tent door in the morning to see the fog or sunrise. The greatest panting on the planet is the planet and I want to be in it. I want a different kind of stress. The stress of being cold, wet, tired, sore, hungry, and more. I want to learn what it's like to have only what you're wearing and what's on your back. I want to be anal expulsive instead of anal retentive. I want more with less. It's been my only dream to hike the AT. I didn't even care to go to college, it was just something expected. I want to live. I WANT to hike.

rocketsocks
12-03-2013, 22:03
I want to hike the AT because I'm tired of being in boxes. Our climate controlled homes, our climate controlled cars, our climate controlled stores, etc. We place something between us and the outdoors for most of our time it seems. The only "box" I want to be in is a tent at night. I want to know what it's like out there for an extended amount of time without escaping. I've camped and hiked before but it wasn't long enough. My dad always got us outside and on little day hike trails and out to the lake to sit at a picnic table and my greatest memories are those. Being outside and seeing farther than 10 feet. Seeing a view that's captivating. Opening a tent door in the morning to see the fog or sunrise. The greatest panting on the planet is the planet and I want to be in it. I want a different kind of stress. The stress of being cold, wet, tired, sore, hungry, and more. I want to learn what it's like to have only what you're wearing and what's on your back. I want to be anal expulsive instead of anal retentive. I want more with less. It's been my only dream to hike the AT. I didn't even care to go to college, it was just something expected. I want to live. I WANT to hike.
Man, you got it bad...and that ain't good. :D Best of luck!

Gonecampn
12-03-2013, 22:13
^ Awesome post! Get out there and live! :)

ChuckT
12-04-2013, 06:36
Because it's there. What other reason would I need.

Cvt

Mumbles_2014
12-04-2013, 11:32
I'm planning to hike the AT in 2014 because I want to do something that's completely different from how I've lived so far and to experience things I otherwise would not. If I decide to put it off like a majority of people than I may never do it or not do it until I retire (which is way too long). I cant wait!

snail2010
12-04-2013, 13:39
Because the AT experience is just plain awesome! Peaceful yet challenging!

tsommers
12-05-2013, 01:06
For the babes............duh.

JeffBliss
12-05-2013, 01:24
I just wanted to say that I love the fact that people are still replying to this thread many months after I made it.

I feel like my desire to thru-hike the AT has taken a whole new dimension this last half year. I'm no longer happy with my job and I just had a bit of a falling out of a relationship not too long ago. I feel like I am now wanting to hike the AT to rediscover life and discover what I truly want out of it.

But this isn't about me. I hope to hear even more people's reasons for thru-hiking the AT!

Toon
12-05-2013, 01:50
I'm hiking to give myself time to figure out what I want to do next. That's one reason anyway

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Autummyst
12-05-2013, 18:21
I just wanted to say that I love the fact that people are still replying to this thread many months after I made it.

I feel like my desire to thru-hike the AT has taken a whole new dimension this last half year. I'm no longer happy with my job and I just had a bit of a falling out of a relationship not too long ago. I feel like I am now wanting to hike the AT to rediscover life and discover what I truly want out of it.

But this isn't about me. I hope to hear even more people's reasons for thru-hiking the AT!

Hi Jeff :) I think you bring up a good point, about the evolving reasons for hiking the AT. I wouldn't be surprised if for a lot of us, our reasons change as we hike along. It's possible by the end of the trail we will be hiking for completely different reasons than we started with.

Shroomer
12-15-2013, 02:54
I've backpacked since the early '60s when I was a kid, but never did anything longer than a week or two at most, but I loved it. In retirement, a week on the Wonderland trail around Mt. Rainier in 2007, gave me the feeling of equilibrium I needed when looking for a new way to be in life. In 2010, I started the PCT with the plan of just hiking 5 weeks in the deserts. I couldn't stop. Trail life, the daily beauty and exertion and especially the wonderful folks on trail made it clear that I couldn't stop, and before the summer was over, I stepped into Canada and had found a way of life that is more bone marrow right than any I've ever experienced before. We were nomads for several million years and only settled down to farming for the past few thousand. The deep rightness of life on trail was simply too good to let go of.

In 2012, I set out on the CDT and again found a peace in the wilds of America I've never come upon anywhere else. Mountains and storms and snow and river crossings, the magnificence of panicked wild mustangs rearing in a silhouette of lightening flash or the simple beauty of the sun rising through a screen of tall grass, all only deepened my love of life on trail. So beginning the Appalachian Trail is inevitable. I've come to love each of the ecosystems I've hiked through, and being a Westerner, the Eastern Forest is the only one I have not yet come to know. I've only day hiked in the Eastern mountains so far and I'm looking forward to life in the Appalachians.

I'm not very goal oriented when it comes to hiking. I just like being out there. If you love the day to day life on trail, the end point, be it Canada or Katahdin becomes inevitable. Point yourself north and start walking and you can't miss.

Autummyst
12-15-2013, 04:13
I've backpacked since the early '60s when I was a kid, but never did anything longer than a week or two at most, but I loved it. In retirement, a week on the Wonderland trail around Mt. Rainier in 2007, gave me the feeling of equilibrium I needed when looking for a new way to be in life. In 2010, I started the PCT with the plan of just hiking 5 weeks in the deserts. I couldn't stop. Trail life, the daily beauty and exertion and especially the wonderful folks on trail made it clear that I couldn't stop, and before the summer was over, I stepped into Canada and had found a way of life that is more bone marrow right than any I've ever experienced before. We were nomads for several million years and only settled down to farming for the past few thousand. The deep rightness of life on trail was simply too good to let go of.

In 2012, I set out on the CDT and again found a peace in the wilds of America I've never come upon anywhere else. Mountains and storms and snow and river crossings, the magnificence of panicked wild mustangs rearing in a silhouette of lightening flash or the simple beauty of the sun rising through a screen of tall grass, all only deepened my love of life on trail. So beginning the Appalachian Trail is inevitable. I've come to love each of the ecosystems I've hiked through, and being a Westerner, the Eastern Forest is the only one I have not yet come to know. I've only day hiked in the Eastern mountains so far and I'm looking forward to life in the Appalachians.

I'm not very goal oriented when it comes to hiking. I just like being out there. If you love the day to day life on trail, the end point, be it Canada or Katahdin becomes inevitable. Point yourself north and start walking and you can't miss.

Wow, beautifully said :) When are you planning on heading out?

Shroomer
12-16-2013, 00:59
Hey Autummyst.

I love the thread you've started. There are so many good reasons for hiking a long trail and the answers you're getting are great. You're gonna love it.

At this point I'm looking at a mid-March start. We hiked for 5 weeks on snow in the High Sierra on the PCT and for weeks in the San Juans on the CDT, and although it is without question the hardest hiking I've ever done, it is also by far some of the best times I've had on trail. So, mid-March may bring me into some snow, but not as much as the Snowbirds starting in February. I'm hunting for a middle ground here, some snow, but weather that is starting to warm with spring so close at hand. I hope to meet you on trail.

ChinMusic
12-16-2013, 01:40
I thruhiked in 2013 and still can't answer WHY I did it. I am glad I did though.

Autummyst
12-16-2013, 01:47
Hey Autummyst.

I love the thread you've started. There are so many good reasons for hiking a long trail and the answers you're getting are great. You're gonna love it.

At this point I'm looking at a mid-March start. We hiked for 5 weeks on snow in the High Sierra on the PCT and for weeks in the San Juans on the CDT, and although it is without question the hardest hiking I've ever done, it is also by far some of the best times I've had on trail. So, mid-March may bring me into some snow, but not as much as the Snowbirds starting in February. I'm hunting for a middle ground here, some snow, but weather that is starting to warm with spring so close at hand. I hope to meet you on trail.

I can't take credit for starting the thread :) It was Jeffbliss that started it! But I have enjoyed following it as well, Shroomer. I love winter hiking/camping. My husband and I are from CT. We are leaving mid-feb for a few reasons, one of which is we are looking forward to being out in the end of winter. Since you are most likely a strong hiker with all of your experience, I wouldn't be surprised if you caught up to us. We will be taking it slowly at first to give our bodies time to adjust. :rolleyes:

Autummyst
12-16-2013, 01:51
I thruhiked in 2013 and still can't answer WHY I did it. I am glad I did though.

I enjoyed following your trailjournal Chinmusic! Your summit video is one of the ones that moved me.

Shroomer
12-16-2013, 02:50
I can't take credit for starting the thread :) It was Jeffbliss that started it! But I have enjoyed following it as well, Shroomer. I love winter hiking/camping. My husband and I are from CT. We are leaving mid-feb for a few reasons, one of which is we are looking forward to being out in the end of winter. Since you are most likely a strong hiker with all of your experience, I wouldn't be surprised if you caught up to us. We will be taking it slowly at first to give our bodies time to adjust. :rolleyes:

Thanks for squaring me away on who started the thread, and sorry Jeffbliss. It's a good thread.

Starting slowly is a great idea. I've seen so many people quickly sidelined because of injuries in the first several weeks. I train hard before setting out, 15 to 20 miles per day with 3 to 4,000 vertical climbs and descents, 2 to 3 times per week with shorter hikes in between. I lead a whole bunch of thru hikers and thru hikers to be on training hikes up our local Mount Diablo in the SF Bay Area. But then I always throttle back to 10 to 12 miles per day the first week on trail, 15 to 17 or so the second and don't let myself break 20 till my third week. Hiking everyday is physically different from hiking several times per week and even with the months of training, I still have a break in period, a time to get my thru legs.

But hell, I'm old and have to be a bit more careful about injuries. I'm sure you'll be blasting out some real miles soon enough. If I see you on trail, all the better. And have a wonderful time in February. No kidding, the time in the snow was always the most beautiful, the most difficult, the most fun and simply the best of the entire hike. Hook up with some others and you'll forge friendships that will last for years!

Dogwood
12-16-2013, 04:13
I long distance hike to get lost and found - lose and find - simultaneously.

Bencape4
12-25-2013, 00:20
I'm hiking because it is three only thing I've thought of for the past 2 years.
I know I have to.
The thought of just being out there makes me tear up with joy.
I need to complete something hard.
I love hiking.
I love outdoors.
I need to meet people with similar interests.
I need to find something to do with my life.
I need a further calling and as of now, the only thing I'm called to do every day is love on people and to hike.
I'm hiking the Appalachian trail because I need it. In the deepest depths of my mind, soul, and sanity, I need it.

ztbarg01
12-26-2013, 10:53
Here's a link to my blog where I list my seven reasons for thru hiking.
See you on the trail in March ladies and gents!
http://zachbarger.wordpress.com/2013/12/25/why-i-want-to-thru-hike-the-appalachian-trail/

HenningWhiteout
12-26-2013, 16:56
I want to hike the AT because nothing can hold me back. I can explore the world if I want to - so I am going to get out there! And by exploring the world I mean to get in touch with the world itself: rain, wind, cold. By exploring the world I mean to get in touch with all the different kind of people. By exploring the world I mean to get to know myself, as I am part of this world. I want to take in as much expriences as I can!

RockDoc
12-26-2013, 17:14
Great posts!

For reality in an increasingly virtual world.
For the deep friendships and complete trust that are rare to non-existent in city life
For the chance to reach a level of fitness that I can't seem to attain in city
to boil things down to what really matters.

I recall chatting with a thru hiker in VA a few years ago, and made some reference to "returning to real life". He laughed and said "What do you mean? THIS is real life"!

4eyedbuzzard
12-26-2013, 18:58
Great posts!

For reality in an increasingly virtual world.
For the deep friendships and complete trust that are rare to non-existent in city life
For the chance to reach a level of fitness that I can't seem to attain in city
to boil things down to what really matters.

I recall chatting with a thru hiker in VA a few years ago, and made some reference to "returning to real life". He laughed and said "What do you mean? THIS is real life"!I really like going hiking. And thru-hiking is a wonderful endeavor. But hiking isn't any more "real life" than the AT is "real wilderness". Real life involves somehow earning food and shelter and such, something that cannot be accomplished simply by hiking the AT. Hiking is an escape from that reality, and the AT is exactly what it was designed to be, an illusion of wilderness for that escape. Like it or not, that is real life.

P Chang
12-27-2013, 23:37
I"m thru hiking because it's cheaper than having to travel to a different portion of the trail and back every year to complete the trail. Besides that, I'm a very driven person, and when I want to complete a task, I want to do so ASAP. In this case, I want to complete the trail, and do so ASAP. Also, I'll need an extended amount of time off and thru hiking will certainly provide that.

Autummyst
12-28-2013, 03:19
I"m thru hiking because it's cheaper than having to travel to a different portion of the trail and back every year to complete the trail. Besides that, I'm a very driven person, and when I want to complete a task, I want to do so ASAP. In this case, I want to complete the trail, and do so ASAP. Also, I'll need an extended amount of time off and thru hiking will certainly provide that.

Hi PChang. I wanted to send you this link, but didn't want to put it in the straight forward post.

Check out this program. http://warriorhike.com/

and here's the fb page: https://www.facebook.com/warriorhike

They are supposed to be a pretty great group.

P Chang
12-29-2013, 22:07
Hi Autummyst…I checked out the link and it's a very cool program. It's for NOBOs though, and I had planned on going SOBO because of the start time (can't start in spring, but can in summer). Still, maybe plans will change and I'll be pushed back a bit and start Spring 2016. Thanks for the link!

nickgann
12-31-2013, 09:25
To spend some time alone with my ideas.

JessetheViking
01-05-2014, 19:17
I am hiking to completely reset my life and way off thinking. For the past 8 years I have lived in excess and lost track of who I was. I put my family aside for too long and hurt my marriage. I have spent the last two years repairing my marriage and getting back on track. Hiking the AT is the final step in the process of purging out the old ways. I have full support of my wife and family for this last 6 month selfish journey. I have been planning this trip for a year and have been blessed with good fortunes the entire time. I recently was notified that I am now selected to hike with the warrior hikers, this selection let me know that I need to do a thrum hike. I am still in awe that I was selected to represent such a prestious group of individuals. There is no better time than the present to get off the gravy train and LIVE again.

Autummyst
01-05-2014, 20:23
I am hiking to completely reset my life and way off thinking. For the past 8 years I have lived in excess and lost track of who I was. I put my family aside for too long and hurt my marriage. I have spent the last two years repairing my marriage and getting back on track. Hiking the AT is the final step in the process of purging out the old ways. I have full support of my wife and family for this last 6 month selfish journey. I have been planning this trip for a year and have been blessed with good fortunes the entire time. I recently was notified that I am now selected to hike with the warrior hikers, this selection let me know that I need to do a thrum hike. I am still in awe that I was selected to represent such a prestious group of individuals. There is no better time than the present to get off the gravy train and LIVE again.

Congrats on joining the Warrior Hike Viking!!! :banana

tpike2
01-14-2014, 04:01
I am 31, and can't seem to get any traction in my life. I have no debt, no woman, and nothing holding me back. I am sick of this small town, sick of the same people, and sick and tired of being sick and tired. I do a 3 day hike at least once a year. The first day that pack is so heavy, and I end up pulling a muscle or twisting my ankle or knee. By the time the last day rolls around I find myself beat and drained. I love it. In all honesty, I think the man I want to be can be found somewhere on that trail. I have played my life too safe. Rarely taking chances and I find myself looking for a spiritual awakening that an adventure such as this can provide. I have had the seed planted since summer of 13', and now I can't think of another reason to continue on the path that I am on. Thought about moving, but I would need another job that I would more than likely hate. So hear we are. I am feeling The first week of April as a good start time. I don't want to carry all that cold weather gear for 2-3 months.

aficion
01-14-2014, 08:24
I am planning to thru hike because my backpacking experiences have been such a treat. More may be better. We shall see.

I find the absence of a to do list, the paucity of stuff, the availability of solitude, and the constant presence of, and immersion in, the wonders of natural surroundings, has a most beneficial effect on my frame of mind. I'm sure the exercise helps with that too.

More free time, less structure, exposure to the elements of "real life", liberty of movement and thought, fewer electronic interruptions, awareness of complexity wed to beauty, awe at the power of nature, as well as for the power of dedication to such a grand project as the AT that people bring, exercising physical and mental self sufficiencies, pursuit of a simple but worthy goal, sharing living a dream, being inspired and challenged, forming new bonds while strengthening others, the constant opportunity to still yourself and perhaps allow your spiritual consciousness to grow, the exercise of faith while trusting in good outcomes and overcoming obstacles, ......all these thoughts, and many more, come to mind as I contemplate such a simply complicated question. Suffice to say I embrace the opportunity to just go try. If that ain't real life I have missed the boat.

Schnitzel
01-14-2014, 09:04
I live at the Jersey Shore. 'Nuff said.

Seriously, I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, and while I think I'm capable of thru-hiking now, it's pretty much a guarantee that in a couple of years, I won't be, given the way it's progressing. So, away I go - to have an Adventure! Everyone needs adventures from time to time, and life these days is pretty adventure-poor.

DonMecca
01-15-2014, 13:02
Alot or situations and reasons brought me to this trail head. first the suicide of my two best friends i called my brothers almost back to back . we have always dreamed of doing something like this together, and since i'm the only one left , i'm doing this for them and mental health. Also i recently lost 200lbs and have be freed from the prison of my own bady so i've been living life to the fullest ever since, checking off those dreams and activities i've been wanting to do for so long. i've been dreaming of the AT since a teen so in i go to the wilderness to, reflect, learn, be humbled, to live free. that's a good start :) i'm also in the process of trying to be a part of hiking for heroes

Nuggz
01-15-2014, 13:56
Just turned 32. No debt, no kids.. I would say no woman, but I recently met my awesome girlfriend. In 2011, I had worked at the same office for 6 years. I hated the city and was completely burnt out on my job. I had just spent the few years prior selling everything I own and paying off my debt. I wanted to get in a position to leave if I had the chance.

I put some serious thought into attempting it in 2011. Instead I spent 2 months living out of my backpacking and hiking around on the west coast. I went back to my same old job with the intentions on staying through the winter and hiking in 2012. I got a new job in March of 2012 in a new city, so that cut 2012 off. 2013 rolls along and I more or less don't go because of my "new" job. 2014 is here. It's now or never.

The feeling of freedom, no worries, nothing tying me down, having no idea what day it is, living in the moment, getting out of the complacent 9-5 grind... I tasted this freedom once. It has been a long time. I can't wait to live again.

Hiking4Wellness
01-21-2014, 01:26
As a child, I heard of people hiking the AT and thought it would be an AWSOME adventure. I grew up on a small farm in northeast Ohio and have always enjoyed nature. During my undergraduate years in college, I led research crews that studied the water-quality of small rivers and streams in the Ozark National Forest. We would hike and camp weeks at a time. These are some of my best memories. Now that I'm a recent retired Aquatic Biologist, I thought a YOYO hike of the AT would give me a chance to decide what's next while fulfilling a childhood dream.

sbeatrice13
01-21-2014, 11:43
Its been my dream for a few years, I'm out of debt, have some cash saved up, and have the window of opportunity...why not!

Furlough
01-21-2014, 13:10
Thru Hiking, who said I was thru hiking? Damn the blisters, 2 MPH ahead! :)

ChuckT
01-21-2014, 13:36
I see a lot of "I'm on the AT to find myself" on these forums. Pardon me but it's crap, pure unadulturated, BS. Want to find yourself? Go look in a mirror. Hiking the AT is effort. Mental effort, physical effort and emotional effort. And you may find mice and bears and ticks and creeps out there but you won't "find" yourself. Go not because you're seeking but because you want to. Whatever you bring back will be yours and yours alone. It means you are alive and that's enough. Anything else you _may_ find in the church of your choice. But it's still up to you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

takethisbread
01-21-2014, 15:30
I've never finished anything in my life. jobs , business, marriage, self improvement, fitness.

this is hard. I think I'd like to finish this. it's always on my mind to do so.

I have finished a meal, but that's about it.

I probably will fail. the statistics are what the statistics are.

my life sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4eyedbuzzard
01-21-2014, 15:44
I've never finished anything in my life. jobs , business, marriage, self improvement, fitness.

this is hard. I think I'd like to finish this. it's always on my mind to do so.

I have finished a meal, but that's about it.

I probably will fail. the statistics are what the statistics are.

my life sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's the spirit! :rolleyes:
Good luck on your hike. And never decide to quit on a bad day.

BRAFC
01-21-2014, 20:30
Because for the last 60yrs I have had purpose. I just want to get wake up in the morning and take a walk.

sseldovia
01-26-2014, 10:29
I just did a post about this - finally made my lists a la Appalachian Trials (http://blog.appalachiantrials.com/why-am-i-doing-this/). They were a bit tough to start, but I'm glad I did them.

I am hiking the Appalachian Trail because:

It has been a life dream of mine for many years now
I need a shift in my life
If not now, when? My body and life commitments are in sync
It will be a great adventure
I want to learn other skills
I want to test myself physically and mentally
I read a really good book about it (AWOL on the Appalachian Trail, actually)
6 months of fresh air, pine needles, and vistas
an escape from the electronics, screens, and Internet craze
it is now something I need to do

When I successfully thru-hike the Appalachian Trail, I will:

be much more self-confident
have an amazing story
know I can accomplish something major if I put my mind and will to it
become part of a huge and loving Trail community
not be afraid of the woods in the dark
be adept at throwing bear bags
add one more tick to the “Women Who Have Hiked the Appalachian Trail” column
see the world around me in a different way
have a clearer grasp of who I am and what I want
write a memoir
have thrown my “normal” life into chaos and survived it

Gus9890
02-07-2014, 16:15
I've always wanted to hike the AT but I've never had the chance to. I've traveled around the world and I've seen and done a lot of different things, but up to this point nothing can compare with finally being able to hike AT. It will also allow me to get to see more of the country that most people only get to see in pictures or hear stories about.

redzombie
03-11-2014, 13:36
Why am I hiking the AT? Hope you don't get squeamish with a honest answer. I am a disabled Forest Firefighter and I was in the hospital this February and found out I only have about 15% of my kidneys left, and have a year at most before being put on dialysis or transplant, add epilepsy to the mix, and yeah welcome to my life. I am Walking the AT mainly because I want a fresh memory when I close my eyes if death comes to the door, I need to get my self in shape for the transplant, and because everyone says I can't, and I know I can. I miss the woods, I miss hiking, I miss living. Because in today's society it is so hard to go out and live life instead of just "surviving", and then theirs that competitive spirit of mine, not to be out done. Folks that are blind, Folks in the middle of battling cancer, and folks with other disabilities have thru-hiked. SOBO 2014

SnailRacer
03-11-2014, 16:29
I'll hike the trail to clear my head
of all the crap that I've been fed
from years of watching my TV
and missing what I want to see

I'll hike to find my hidden soul
under the bridge, next to a troll
he doesn't want it anyway
my soul will like the light of day