PDA

View Full Version : Help deciding on a quilt

DandT40
07-29-2013, 11:11
I am looking to replace (at least for summer months) my bulky, heavy 25 degree REI sleeping bag with a top quilt. I sleep hot normally and have a big agnes air core sleeping pad so I have protection from the ground cooling me off too much. I have used the REI bag in temps down in the teens comfortably with a few extra layers and will probably continue to use it for colder weather conditions (below 32 lets say), but if I could afford a decent quilt that would work even in really cold temps even better. But mostly I am looking for something that won't take up half my pack like my current bag does when I don't even use all of it most of the time.

The two that I am stuck between are the Jacks r better Shenandoah Quilt - http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/shenandoah-standard-rectangular-quilts/ - and the Enlightened Equipment (various models, but leaning towards) ProdigyX series - http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/product/prodigyx-30/

Now I realize that a better comparison would be between the JacksrBetter and the EE Revelation series, but is there any good reason for me to go with down instead of the synthetic? Money is of course an issue as it is in all purchases, but it also looks like the down quilts at the same temps are less weight. Do the EE quilts pack up small with the included stuff sack?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hill Ape
07-29-2013, 11:57
both are excellent manufacturers with first rate customer service. you wont go wrong with either. downs advantage is weight and packability (is that a real word?) its disadvantage is if wet, it no longer insulates, and takes forever to dry. modern synthetics are catching up quick in every way, but i'm somewhat of a traditionalist. if someone simply asked me for a recommendation for a high quality down quilt, i wouldn't hesitate, EE revelation x.

Venchka
07-29-2013, 12:11
Comparing the down versions, there is only $5 difference in price and 2.75 ounces difference in weight. Jacks "R" Better doesn't list the fill weight of their quilt. Ask them how much down is in the bag for an apples to apples comparison. EE doesn't show any photos of exactly how their quilt operates. Jacks "R" Better does.
Get all the missing facts. Flip a coin. They seem to be very similar products.
Good luck.

Wayne

DandT40
07-30-2013, 11:45
Went with the EE RevX 30 degree. It was a hard decision on the temperature to get as I didn't want to add any extra weight. But I figured the 30 degree should cover me for most occasions except the very coldest at which point I would be worried about my head being cold and would bring the big old mummy sleeping bag. Can't wait to get it!

Hill Ape
07-30-2013, 11:54
:clap:clap

good stuff, expect a full review with a youtube video once you've slept on trail with it

Rain Man
07-30-2013, 19:08
Underground Equipment now treats its down with the new DWR stuff for down, at no extra charge. I just got one of their top quilts and was super impressed with the service.

Rain:sunMan

DandT40
09-03-2013, 11:23
Just got back from my first extended trip with the quilt. It was pretty warm out at night so didn't really test it's limits as far as keeping me warm. But the size and weight of the thing rock. I had to completely change how I pack my pack because it is so small and light compared to my old 20 degree synthetic bag. It's great. I have so much more room in my pack now I need a smaller pack! My family that was with me on the trip were all so jealous I think I am going to be placing an order for a couple more now. I'm heading down to the smokies at the end of the month so that should be a better test of some colder weather conditions, but so far very much loving the quilt.

garlic08
09-03-2013, 18:56
I went with the EE Rev X too, last summer, only because they seemed to have more choices of temp ratings right in my sweet spot. I hear nothing but great things about Jack's. It's the best piece of gear I've bought in a decade. I used it all season, tested it to its limit in wet blowing snow, and was very pleased.

I've used down for a decade and am sold on it. Best saying I've heard about down is that it's always better until it isn't!

capehiker
09-03-2013, 19:17
I'm a big fan of enLIGHTend equipment. My first was from the buy and sell forum on here (RevX 20) and I also have a cuben Epiphany 30 degree. Both are fantastic quilts.

Rasty
09-03-2013, 19:38
I have a 0° Revelation X and a 20° is on the list. Don't tell my wife.

gunner76
09-03-2013, 19:55
I have a 0° and 30° Revelation X TQs. Excellent product

Shonryu
09-09-2013, 02:39
Check out the Borro TQs from Hammock Gear. I haven't found a lighter UQ and Addam gives you the option to purchase more down to increase your temp ratings. All TQs are 900 fill and for the price to weight ratio I can't think of a better deal out there and this is coming from a guy who used most of the TQ mentioned above. I liked my 30 degree TQ so much I purchased a 0 degree TQ with an additional 4oz of down that should be able to take me around the -10 or slughtly below with no issues.