PDA

View Full Version : Whites Gear Questions

iceboxsteve
07-29-2013, 17:40
I've decided to do a spend my precious few vacation days hiking in the rain around the wonderful Pemi Loop. My backpacking experience is not the Whites and thus I want to make sure I am fully prepared. I want to preface this by saying I do have experience, I pack smartly, and I heed warning signs. Just in case anyone things I'm young and dumb haha.

My main questions are:

- Do I need boots? I typically backpack in the Berkshires on the AT in sneakers and have no issues.
- Do I need a sleeping bag? I see most gear lists have around a 35 degree bag included. Most of the time in the Berks I slept fine with a fleece liner and a silk liner, plus I carry midweight base layers/socks/hat.
- Can I use my hammock? I've read reports of their use, I plan to camp at Liberty Spring, Garfield, and Guyot most likely.
- Bear bag? Its not a whole lot of extra weight but I read some of the AMC sites have bear boxes.

Any and all helpful tips will be much appreciated.

Zippy Morocco
07-29-2013, 18:04
Trail runners are fine. Sleeping bag is a must. Things can change quick and cool quickly. Keep an eye on the weather reports.
I can't comment on the hammock but I do know the trees are pretty small up high.
I used a bear bag at the stealth sites we used. If you are using only AMC you shouldn't need one.

Driver8
07-30-2013, 01:08
Depending on when you go, Steve, be advised that the Lincoln Woods Trail, the most common, elevation-saving approach to the Pemi loop, will be closed for repairs of Irene damage from mid-August into, it appears, October. The Forest Service has held out the possibility that they will open the trail on weekends if repair crews are not working.

There are other approach options, including Liberty Spring/AT, Falling Waters and Old Bridle Path/Greenleaf, among others, to Franconia Ridge, as well as the Garfield and Gale River Trails. You could also try a ford of the East Branch of the Pemi, but it's running high and may not be an easy crossing. Personally, having done Falling Waters, OBP/GL and Garfield, I'd recommend Garfield as relatively easy. I hear Gale River, nearby, is similar, and it ends up near Galehead Hut, which might be a bonus. OBP goes by Greenleaf Hut, too, and is a much prettier trail, IMO, than Garfield. If you go up that way, you have the benefit of starting and ending the loop on Lafayette, but pay for that with added elevation and of course the weather risk of doing it on two different days.

There's an extensive thread on the subject here: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?49853-Temporary-Closure-of-Lincoln-Woods-trail

Tom Murphy
07-30-2013, 08:54
- Do I need boots? I typically backpack in the Berkshires on the AT in sneakers and have no issues.
the Pemi is similar tread to Berkshires, Northern Pressi is rocky and where I might suggest a thicker sole
- Do I need a sleeping bag? I see most gear lists have around a 35 degree bag included. Most of the time in the Berks I slept fine with a fleece liner and a silk liner, plus I carry midweight base layers/socks/hat.
For me, a fleece liner and slik liner are a bit too light for NH
in the summer a 35 degF bag is ok, I bring a 20 deg F bag
- Can I use my hammock? I've read reports of their use, I plan to camp at Liberty Spring, Garfield, and Guyot most likely.
I have hung in at all three sites, Garfield is the tricky one
I use a TQ/UQ with my hammock
- Bear bag? Its not a whole lot of extra weight but I read some of the AMC sites have bear boxes.
they have facilities to hang food and/or a bear box; a bear bag system is not really that much weight.

iceboxsteve
07-30-2013, 10:10
Thanks for all the info. I'm going tomorrow, hoping the rain isn't too bad.

I'll be going with the trail runners. I'll also be bringing a bag, my good one is a 20 degree and I'll have to deal with it for the added safety/comfort. I'm glad I can use the hammock, makes a little more room int he bag. I hope to get a quilt system going but don't currently have one. And I'll bring the bear bag system as well. I have 4 days planned and hoping to hit many of the side peaks, the bear bag and hammock could prove useful if I need to get low and find a backcountry site.

Another question on gear: I'm bringing rain pants, nylon shorts, tech-wick tee, and lightweight long sleeve base layer for hiking. I have mid weight upper and bottoms for camp. Again, in the Berks I always just brought a fleece vest, should I up it to my down jacket? Sadly the down packs to about the same size as the fleece haha.

And lastly, a friend pointed out that not every trail in the Whites is easily descended. I have my AMC map and clearly see the bail out options for the Pemi Loop, but would anyone recommend NOT taking certain trails down?

Thanks!

peakbagger
07-30-2013, 11:02
No need for a down jacket. It has been getting cool at night, which usually lines up with clear nights andlow humidityThe forecast looks reasonable and if you start your hikes early, the usual afternoon thundershowers are manageable. The only trail not to descend is Flume Slide especially when wet. Even when its dry its iffy. The Osseo is much better alternative, well graded and has a nice canopy. If you need to heat towards I 93 then take AT down I would add some lightweight glove or mitts and a fleece hat on the odd chance its gets windy as windy and wet is a bad combination. I dont use or carry rain pants this time of year but do carry a pair of lightweight poly pro bottoms.

Water shouldnt be a major issue but the stretch from the saddle between Garfield and Lafayette to well down the Osseo trail is dry. Your options for water means dropping down off the ridge. The walk down to Greenleaf hut isnt bad and no need to treat the water plus they usually have snacks for sale as well as a AYCE soup. Much of the trail is in the spruce fir zone, you need to drop way down off the ridge to find a place to camp, that is why all the official sites get full. Dont consider bushwhacking down, its about as nasty as nasty can be.

Tom Murphy
07-30-2013, 12:32
http://www.davidalbeck.com/hiking/pemiloop.html