PDA

View Full Version : Smartphones

ki0te
07-29-2013, 17:55
I was reading a trail gear profile on Trail Journals, and the guy listed several things he could do with his Iphone. PDFing his trail guide I thought was a great idea, and he mentioned several other useful things he could do with his phone.

What things and what apps do you use on your smartphone while on the trail?

Thanks

Zippy Morocco
07-29-2013, 17:59
I watched TV shows, listened to music, podcasts and audio books, made reservations, ordered supplies from Amazon and others and photos.

Nodust
07-29-2013, 18:00
It's my backup flashlight. Also get Off-maps and with the GPS can be used without cell service.

I don't have a camera either so that's what I use for photos.

Hill Ape
07-29-2013, 18:29
keeping up with your fantasy sports :cool:

Another Kevin
07-29-2013, 18:38
I just answered this question in another thread, so I decided just to journal the post (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/entry.php?7968-Technology-on-the-trail-article) and point you to it.

Theosus
07-29-2013, 19:22
Turn it off and leave it in my pack in a ziplock bag. Until night time, then I get it out and play games or watch movies until I'm ready to sleep. I find I'm often in the hammock way before I'm ready to actually sleep.

redseal
07-29-2013, 19:31
My phone stays off for all but maybe 5 - 10 minutes a day. During the time it is on, I will use it to look at info such as the thru-hiker handbook for what lies ahead the next day.

ki0te
07-29-2013, 19:32
Thanks Kevin

Peakfinder sounds interesting and was the kind of app information I was looking for.

Matt65
07-29-2013, 20:02
Mine is on less than 10min a day while hiking to update my physical location for the spouse, and maybe a quick text if service is available. They are indeed very useful. However, for me part of getting out is getting away- so phone usage is minimum.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Wise Old Owl
07-29-2013, 21:00
I was reading a trail gear profile on Trail Journals, and the guy listed several things he could do with his Iphone. PDFing his trail guide I thought was a great idea, and he mentioned several other useful things he could do with his phone.

What things and what apps do you use on your smartphone while on the trail?

Thanks

cant wait for a kindle trail guide.

Theosus
07-29-2013, 23:25
cant wait for a kindle trail guide.

Each kindle account has its own associated email address. I've emailed several word documents into mine. So if you scan your trail guide into a PDF, you can get it into your kindle that way.

Sly
07-30-2013, 00:31
Each kindle account has its own associated email address. I've emailed several word documents into mine. So if you scan your trail guide into a PDF, you can get it into your kindle that way.

Or you can save your time and effort and buy a Thru-Hikers Companion in PDF. I just updated the bookmarks to make navigation within the document easier.

BrianLe
07-30-2013, 11:37
You will likely come up with more ideas for functions and apps if you search for past threads where this has been discussed, here and on similar sites.

"Best" use certainly varies with the individual and the particular trip.

Thru-hiking, I use it to journal/blog, as my camera, as a voice recorder, internet access where wi-fi or cell signal allow (as well as time and battery power). In town I'll occasionally read if I'm alone. GPS/map on occasion. And, it's a phone. Staying connected with family as well as on-trail friends can make internet access quite helpful, whether email or facebook or whatever. I've also a couple of times found it very helpful to get trail reports of various issues going on some distance ahead (fire closures, trail magic parties planned, whatever). Getting weather forecasts is quite helpful. And when I was holed up with Giardia in a little town in New York I could book a flight home on my phone when there was no other internet available to me.

For shorter trips it's still my camera, I probably use the gps/map functionality more often, still voice recorder sometimes, and I read (kindle) on occasion too. Helpful to call my wife when I'm en route home to coordinate.

There are so many functions and apps that can apply on a trip; for example, on the trip I finished yesterday I enjoyed using the 'Peakfinder' app.
I don't personally use it as an MP3 player as I like to do that via a very light standalone device so that I don't have to be concerned about battery useage.