PDA

View Full Version : Looking to Play with the Ponies

Teacher & Snacktime
07-29-2013, 18:31
I have the maps that list parking and shelters and other vital info....all except what I'm really looking for. Can anyone tell me precisely I should take Snacktime to see the ponies in Grayson Highlands? I'm thinking one day in, overnight, one day out. This is of course flexible.
Anyway, I have to start planning the fall VA trip and this is part of it, along with the hikes in HikerMom/DeerHunter way.

Note: also more interested in hostels and campgrounds than shelters, but that's not written in stone either.

HikerMom58
07-29-2013, 18:35
Others will chime in, I'm sure, but I've always heard that Thomas Knob Shelter is the place where the ponies hang out. I'm pretty sure Coach and HB went out and back to that shelter this past spring. They can help you with info, I'm sure! :D

illabelle
07-29-2013, 19:13
You can get to the ponies in a dayhike easy enough. Yes, they hang out near Thomas Knob, but also around Wilburn Ridge and the Rhododendron Trail. Are you coming all the way down to SW Virginia just to see the ponies? If so, I would hope you're planning to spend a few days. You could do a loop through Grayson Highlands, or if you just want to do AT miles, you could leave your car at the visitor center, and get a ride to Whitetop Mountain or elsewhere - depending on how many miles you want to walk. Damascus is nearby. We hiked from Whitetop to Damascus - about 21 miles if I remember right (???). We hiked from Whitetop to the visitor center (2 day trip with a bunch of kids) - about 11 miles. We hiked a loop of non-AT miles in our first visit - about 15 miles I think.

I might be wrong about this, but I think there's not even car camping in GHP. I know you have to cross out of GHP into Mt Roger's wilderness (just a half-mile or so) if you want to set up a tent. If you want a hostel or campground, you can find something in Damascus. There's a shelter a few miles to the north of Thomas Knob (Wise or Wise Springs?), but I haven't been there yet, so I can't tell you what it's like.

It can be very windy on the balds, a good thing or a bad thing depending on when you go. Some of the ponies are very "friendly" to the point of being pushy, but with supervision, Snacktime can probably pet a few of them. Be sure to bring a camera!

coach lou
07-29-2013, 19:55
Yes, it is the Massie Gap parking/ trail head. On top, kind of like Greylock with no trees...................and poop, pony poop. I had barely a space for my sleeping bag under the hooch, piles of it everywhere. Not steaming, but..well.....it was really pretty up there. We had a ferocious storm that nite. The Wolf recommended it to us as the best walk for short timers. And he did not disappoint.

Namtrag
07-29-2013, 19:58
There is a pretty big rv/car camping campground in the state park. You can't camp anywhere else in the state park boundaries legally.

park in the overnight backpacker lot in state park,go on the AT Connecter trail, hang a right on the AT, then hike around through Scales, up to the Pine Mt trail, where you go south and connect into the AT again. From that intersection, turn right and go to Thomas Knob shelter. That would be a good day of hiking. Stay overnight, and then head back north on the AT until you get to the connector trail back to your car. A short day on day 2.

No Directions
07-29-2013, 20:04
You will not have any trouble finding the ponies. In fact there are usually a couple of them hanging around the fence at Massie Gap. Have fun. This is a beautiful place. Please check the weather forecast carefully and heed the warning signs as the weather can change suddenly at Mt Rogers.

Sailing_Faith
07-29-2013, 22:13
They are really really easy to find, I saw several when I hiked the area. They will let you get really close.

of course we know that no one is supposed to feed them, but if someone happens to drop som apple slices, I bet they would not last long.... :)

Teacher & Snacktime
07-29-2013, 22:15
They are really really easy to find, I saw several when I hiked the area. They will let you get really close.

of course we know that no one is supposed to feed them, but if someone happens to drop som apple slices, I bet they would not last long.... :)

Snacktime always has apples in his pack.....and he does tend to have butterfingers.

Deer Hunter
07-29-2013, 23:11
You can get to the ponies in a dayhike easy enough. Yes, they hang out near Thomas Knob, but also around Wilburn Ridge and the Rhododendron Trail. Are you coming all the way down to SW Virginia just to see the ponies? If so, I would hope you're planning to spend a few days. You could do a loop through Grayson Highlands, or if you just want to do AT miles, you could leave your car at the visitor center, and get a ride to Whitetop Mountain or elsewhere - depending on how many miles you want to walk. Damascus is nearby. We hiked from Whitetop to Damascus - about 21 miles if I remember right (???). We hiked from Whitetop to the visitor center (2 day trip with a bunch of kids) - about 11 miles. We hiked a loop of non-AT miles in our first visit - about 15 miles I think.

I might be wrong about this, but I think there's not even car camping in GHP. I know you have to cross out of GHP into Mt Roger's wilderness (just a half-mile or so) if you want to set up a tent. If you want a hostel or campground, you can find something in Damascus. There's a shelter a few miles to the north of Thomas Knob (Wise or Wise Springs?), but I haven't been there yet, so I can't tell you what it's like.

It can be very windy on the balds, a good thing or a bad thing depending on when you go. Some of the ponies are very "friendly" to the point of being pushy, but with supervision, Snacktime can probably pet a few of them. Be sure to bring a camera!

Two years ago when I went through there, one actually kicked a girl. Use some caution and stay in front of the horse and you should be ok and have a great time. Snacktime will enjoy it i'm sure. :)

Teacher & Snacktime
07-30-2013, 01:24
I have a strong respect for horses, so I will absolutely be cautious...thanks DH....and Illabelle....and SF.....and and and .....everyone.

Siestita
07-30-2013, 07:08
Dropping apple slices on the ground in front of the Grayson Highland ponies? It's probably for good reason that they are not supposed to be fed. Those ponies are already quite "pushy", as has been pointed out. Look behind yourself occasionally while near them to make sure they don't get into the packs on your backs. While preparing dinner camped on Pine Mountain, I've had to shoo ponies away from my cook pot.

So far, I've not seen any ponies south of where the parallel trails (AT and Virginia Highlands Horse Trail) both lead downward/southward from the ridge to Deep Gap, passing through a wilderness area. Instead, those ponies appear to stay in places more easily accessed from Massie Gap: the upper parts of the State Park, the Wilburn Ridge/Rhododendron Gap Area, and open areas on Pine Mountain above Scales.

If one of your maps of the Highlands is the Forest Service's one, it shows clearly boundaries between designated Wildernesses and other interspersed public lands. The area's ponies (and also cattle on some of the Nat. Forest land) are kept out the Wilderness acreage by fences and gates. So, those Wilderness tracts have become completely reforested while the Crest Zone's scenic balds remain open thanks to the ponies and cattle.

The Wise shelter is a relatively recently constructed one, with a mouldering privy nearby. It's near Big Wilson Creek, right at the edge of the State Park. The Park generously permitted the shelter's construction, but insists that no other camping (tenting or hammocks) take place nearby on their land. Fortunately, there good camp sites within 200 yards of the Wise Shelter, across in the Creek in Forest Service territory. The last time I camped there I heard coyotes calling. Because its down low, during bad weather that Big Wilson Creek area might be a better place to spend a night than some higher, windier locations would be.

Ponies have come to me while I've camped out in the open on Pine Mountain, along the horse trail between Scales and Rhododendron Gap. That horse trail is open and very scenic, paralleling in places the Pine Mountain "hikers only" trail that is located several hundred yards away in the woods. About half way between Scales and Rhododendron Gap there is a place with a horse hitching post, a fenced spring, some campsites, and also a short well used "use" trail connecting the Horse Trail to the Pine Mountain Trail.

Namtrag
07-30-2013, 16:53
No one has mentioned the Texas Longhorns which graze in the area. We had 4 pass within 20 ft of us while we were pitching our tent. It was surreal. Those things were monstrous.

coach lou
07-30-2013, 16:59
No one has mentioned the Texas Longhorns which graze in the area. We had 4 pass within 20 ft of us while we were pitching our tent. It was surreal. Those things were monstrous.
Oh yes we saw them, put a pic in my gallery. I thought I was in Montana. One had 1 upside-down horn

Teacher & Snacktime
07-30-2013, 17:04
Ponies and Longhorns....Snacktime is going to LOVE this!

FarmerChef
07-30-2013, 20:46
When are you planning on going? We're headed down Labor Day Weekend to snip off 23 missed miles and maybe bike down the creeper.

Sailing_Faith
07-30-2013, 21:20
When are you planning on going? We're headed down Labor Day Weekend to snip off 23 missed miles and maybe bike down the creeper.

Do not miss a bicycle ride down the creeper! If you get really lucky, you might meet a whiteblaze superstar on the ride up.....

(just make sure you do not try to ride with no hands and take a picture at the same time).....

Teacher & Snacktime
07-30-2013, 21:39

I haven't figured that out yet....either Sept or Oct. but don't know what week...it will definitely be after school starts up again

S'more
07-30-2013, 21:45
Others will chime in, I'm sure, but I've always heard that Thomas Knob Shelter is the place where the ponies hang out. I'm pretty sure Coach and HB went out and back to that shelter this past spring. They can help you with info, I'm sure! :D

Anywhere in the Grayson's area, there are usually ponies hanging out! Going up next weekend myself! When you get it figured out, maybe I can work it out! and maybe HM too????

OzJacko
07-30-2013, 21:47
Be careful they bite.
Personally I found them pathetic looking and a pest.
I know they are an "institution" on the trail but as feral animals I would recommend culling the lot of them.
They are far too habituated to humans and remind me of gulls at a beach.

S'more
07-30-2013, 21:47
You will not have any trouble finding the ponies. In fact there are usually a couple of them hanging around the fence at Massie Gap. Have fun. This is a beautiful place. Please check the weather forecast carefully and heed the warning signs as the weather can change suddenly at Mt Rogers.
+1 on heading the signs. It can be drastically different from the parking area to the trail.

S'more
07-30-2013, 21:48

True, the last time I saw more longhorns than ponies. their poop is slimier too!

Teacher & Snacktime
07-30-2013, 21:49
Anywhere in the Grayson's area, there are usually ponies hanging out! Going up next weekend myself! When you get it figured out, maybe I can work it out! and maybe HM too????

I'm decidedly leaning toward the "the more the merrier" approach, so certainly I'll let you know when we have some sort of plan. HM will definitely know since part of our VA trip involves her directly!

Side note: Is Groucho's in downtown Statesville?

tbird911
08-05-2013, 21:01
+1 on heading the signs. It can be drastically different from the parking area to the trail.

You should go to White Top Station or Damascus and Ride the Creeper Trail (Google is your friend) it is awesome and a great 1 day event. Then 15- 20 minutes away is the Grayson Highlands (specifically Massey Gap parking/trail head. On occasion they'll come down to the entrance fence, but can almost always be found within a mile or two of beginning your hike. Beautiful country . . .

HikerMom58
08-05-2013, 21:09
I'm decidedly leaning toward the "the more the merrier" approach, so certainly I'll let you know when we have some sort of plan. HM will definitely know since part of our VA trip involves her directly!

Side note: Is Groucho's in downtown Statesville?

I'm def. up for the Grayson Highlands.. S'More and I are very much in touch on FB so we are all well connected. :)

tbird911... looks like you had great weather... nice pics! Great info post for Teacher&Snacktime! :)

Teacher & Snacktime
08-05-2013, 21:35
Ride the creeper trail? In or on what?

My overall VA thoughts so far are:

visit Damascus & do something interesting in that area
Grayson SP/Massie Gap....either a 1 day there & back to Thomas Knob Shelter w/ possible inclusion of Mt. Rogers peak
Roanoke area triple crown: McAfee Knob, Dragon's Tooth, Tinker Cliffs (preferably day hikes): The Homeplace
Shenandoah....some easy hiking with accessibles

additional: Foamhenge, Luray Caverns, Natural Bridge, Monticello

These are just some ideas of AT sites and hikes and educational attractions....and fun. Anyone is free to add. suggestions. I have to get the itinerary and budget set in the next 2 weeks (or so)

Teacher & Snacktime
08-05-2013, 21:47
You should go to White Top Station or Damascus and Ride the Creeper Trail (Google is your friend) it is awesome and a great 1 day event. Then 15- 20 minutes away is the Grayson Highlands (specifically Massey Gap parking/trail head. On occasion they'll come down to the entrance fence, but can almost always be found within a mile or two of beginning your hike. Beautiful country . . .

The Damascus/Creeper Trail 1 day event sounds perfect for us, but I don't know what you mean be riding it. Is that just slang for hiking or is there some sort of transport?

And those pics are wonderful...exactly what I had in mind! I was a little freaked at first because I would have sworn that was my grandson Snacktime walking ahead in those pics! Spooky!

Deer Hunter
08-05-2013, 21:47

Nice. Looks like you had a great time.

Deer Hunter
08-05-2013, 21:50
The Damascus/Creeper Trail 1 day event sounds perfect for us, but I don't know what you mean be riding it. Is that just slang for hiking or is there some sort of transport?

Bicycles :)

FarmerChef
08-05-2013, 21:54
Bicycles :)

This. We're planning to do this over Labor Day weekend when we come hike 23 miles we missed on our spring hike. Hope we can meet you Teacher.

HikerMom58
08-05-2013, 21:55

Teach... you rent bikes, they shuttle you to White Top in a hooptie van (if your lucky the well known Lone Wolf will be your driver) and you ride the creeper trail back to Damascus...it's a blast!!

HikerMom58
08-05-2013, 21:56
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/null_zpscf81ace6.jpg

I'm just asking you... do you recognize any of these Mountain Men??? Look at them very closely!!:sun

Teacher & Snacktime
08-05-2013, 21:58
Ah....I could embrace that, but Snacktime is not a cyclist. Maybe we could rent a tandem....haven't done that in a few years (or decades)

Anyway, I'm starting to think that the best approach is to just show up at HM's door with our hats in our hands and our packs in the trunk and leave alot of these decisions to committee when we get there: HM, DH, Smore, Drybones, etc (I have to go back and check all the interested parties who've posted). It might be easier to coordinate everyone once we're actually there.

So...I need to pick a date...and a number.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-05-2013, 21:59
This. We're planning to do this over Labor Day weekend when we come hike 23 miles we missed on our spring hike. Hope we can meet you Teacher.

Me too FC....you're on that list !!! :) HM, DH....what about gathering all these folks? One trip to the Homeplace or several?

oh FC....but we can't make it on labor day weekend....but we're also willing to come your way. I want to hike down into Harper's Ferry from VA and finish WV, so if you're available to join or just get together we'd be game.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-05-2013, 22:04
I recogniza ALL these mountain men! The first three I spent last saturday morning with, and the fouth's journal I've been following ever since you gave him and BRocket snacktime bags!

Have you read my Wonderful Day Journals 1 & 2 ?

HikerMom58
08-05-2013, 22:05
Me too FC....you're on that list !!! :) HM, DH....what about gathering all these folks? One trip to the Homeplace or several?

oh FC....but we can't make it on labor day weekend....but we're also willing to come your way. I want to hike down into Harper's Ferry from VA and finish WV, so if you're available to join or just get together we'd be game.

Yes & yes... we need an event coordinator to pull everyone together. I'll be here. You guys just get the dates and stuff together and I'll arrange the rest... how about that??

HikerMom58
08-05-2013, 22:07
I recogniza ALL these mountain men! The first three I spent last saturday morning with, and the fouth's journal I've been following ever since you gave him and BRocket snacktime bags!

Have you read my Wonderful Day Journals 1 & 2 ?

No, I've been fighting vertigo.. today is my best day after since a week ago today! :) I'll check it out... sorry to be so behind the eight ball. :p

Teacher & Snacktime
08-05-2013, 22:08
Teach... you rent bikes, they shuttle you to White Top in a hooptie van (if your lucky the well known Lone Wolf will be your driver) and you ride the creeper trail back to Damascus...it's a blast!!

I think I could talk Snacktime into it....but if they rented Tandems it would be better. Either way it sounds like just the type of fun adventure we're looking for. I'll get him to practice on the bike.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-05-2013, 22:09
No, I've been fighting vertigo.. today is my best day after since a week ago today! :) I'll check it out... sorry to be so behind the eight ball. :p

No need to apologize...you come first. No point getting nauseus or dizzy when you can read it anytime. How is it coming along?

Teacher & Snacktime
08-05-2013, 22:11
Yes & yes... we need an event coordinator to pull everyone together. I'll be here. You guys just get the dates and stuff together and I'll arrange the rest... how about that??

OK....sounds good....are we still thinking around mid sept? Is anyone or everyone else good with that?

Astro
08-05-2013, 22:11

Hiker who stayed there one night after me had video of the ponies coming right up and placing their heads in the shelter. Really nice shelter with a ladder up to the second floor.

Deer Hunter
08-05-2013, 22:17

Several trips would be is fine with me. HM said she was paying for it all anyways. Right mom? Ha Ha

Teacher & Snacktime
08-05-2013, 22:20
Snacktime and I have still not stayed in a shelter....but the weather may be an issue. So I'm not sure if this will be a day trip or an overnight. If it's an overnight, then we will likely include the Mt. Roger's climb. Just not sure, but we'll bring what we need for either and decide when we get there.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-05-2013, 22:22
Several trips would be is fine with me. HM said she was paying for it all anyways. Right mom? Ha Ha

I could cover it....I've got all this speeding ticket money the guys in the photo above gave me....oh wait...I'm supposed to actually pay the ticket with that, and within 30 days.....NEVERMIND

tbird911
08-05-2013, 22:22
Hey Guys! Hope you liked the pics! The Creeper Trail extends from White Top Station all the way to Abingdon VA. The half-way point is Damascus. From White Top Station, where we stayed (although Damascus is the better spot and more central to eats, outfitters etc.) to Damascus the bike trip is 17 miles of very gradual downhill. Its really neat because you don't even half to pedal :) There are creeks to swim in, sights to see and places to get good home cooking. $26.00 gets you a bike for the day, a shuttle trip to the top and a return shuttle to your car if needed. The Creeper was named after the slow moving train and the tracks that it traveled through the mountains of VA. These track beds are what comprise the trail that you ride on the bikes. Super low impact on the body, super way to spend the day!

HikerMom58
08-05-2013, 22:24
Hiker who stayed there one night after me had video of the ponies coming right up and placing their heads in the shelter. Really nice shelter with a ladder up to the second floor.

Hey Astro!! :)

Teacher & Snacktime
08-05-2013, 22:25
Hey Guys! Hope you liked the pics! The Creeper Trail extends from White Top Station all the way to Abingdon VA. The half-way point is Damascus. From White Top Station, where we stayed (although Damascus is the better spot and more central to eats, outfitters etc.) to Damascus the bike trip is 17 miles of very gradual downhill. Its really neat because you don't even half to pedal :) There are creeks to swim in, sights to see and places to get good home cooking. $26.00 gets you a bike for the day, a shuttle trip to the top and a return shuttle to your car if needed. The Creeper was named after the slow moving train and the tracks that it traveled through the mountains of VA. These track beds are what comprise the trail that you ride on the bikes. Super low impact on the body, super way to spend the day!

This sounds perfect! Not even Snacktime could object to one continuous downhill! Does it still run in sept and is the swimming still good? Thanks so much! Care to come along for the ride? The kids can meet their doubles!

HikerMom58
08-05-2013, 22:25

OK sure!! :cool:

Teacher & Snacktime
08-05-2013, 22:27
OK sure!! :cool:

No Chance Lance! Mom has Drs to pay for! Besides....NOBODY can afford to feed Snacktime!

HikerMom58
08-05-2013, 22:28
Mid September sounds good to me... Teach, you can show up at my doorstep,we can look at the weather and figure it all out. :) It's true about the downhill bike ride. It's so fun!! It will still be warm to swim in the water too.

Your journal is amazing btw... I left you a comment!

HikerMom58
08-05-2013, 22:30
No Chance Lance! Mom has Drs to pay for! Besides....NOBODY can afford to feed Snacktime!

NO Problem!! We can work it all out! It will be fun!! Ha ha!! HomePlace is all you can eat... it's the BEST!

Teacher & Snacktime
08-05-2013, 22:31
Mid September sounds good to me... Teach, you can show up at my doorstep,we can look at the weather and figure it all out. :) It's true about the downhill bike ride. It's so fun!! It will still be warm to swim in the water too.

Excellent. You and I were originally talking around the 8th....I have to check and see if that will still fly. I'll leave our itinerary open-ended and just kick us out of the state when we become a nuisance!

Deer Hunter
08-05-2013, 22:31

I figured it was worth a shot. :)

Deer Hunter
08-05-2013, 22:33
NO Problem!! We can work it all out! It will be fun!! Ha ha!! HomePlace is all you can eat... it's the BEST!

I can taste the roast beef already!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teacher & Snacktime
08-05-2013, 22:35

Hey, then maybe we CAN fill Snacktime up!

HikerMom58
08-05-2013, 22:35
Excellent. You and I were originally talking around the 8th....I have to check and see if that will still fly. I'll leave our itinerary open-ended and just kick us out of the state when we become a nuisance!

You won't become a nuisance & it sounds good. :) I'll be here. :)

HikerMom58
08-05-2013, 22:36
Hey, then maybe we CAN fill Snacktime up!

Oh yes, that won't be a problem at all.... :)

Deer Hunter
08-05-2013, 22:43

Astro, good to see you here posting.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-05-2013, 22:45
Oh yes, that won't be a problem at all.... :)

He's at the feeding-frenzy stage of a growth spurt right now and filling out. He's about 5'5" now, but if he shoots up before we get there he might be nearer to 6ft! So much for the "little boy" I've been hiking with!

I need to pm you for some relevant info....read or respond at leisure, when you're up to it.

tbird911
08-05-2013, 22:54
This sounds perfect! Not even Snacktime could object to one continuous downhill! Does it still run in sept and is the swimming still good? Thanks so much! Care to come along for the ride? The kids can meet their doubles!I'm pretty sure it runs year round or at least most of the year. Swimming will be good but you better be a polar bear ....lol. if you decide to stay in Whitetop Station (35 minutes or so from major eats/Damascus) let me know and I can suggest a rental house right at the entrance to the creeper. Cool thing is it has two bedrooms , hammocks on the screened in back porch and in the back yard and an additional out building with a single bed and set of bunk beds. Should be enough for a gaggle of people and very affordable also pet friendly and great folks. There is a little country store up the road a mile or two with anything you could want and some of the best biscuits and gravy!

HikerMom58
08-05-2013, 23:02
He's at the feeding-frenzy stage of a growth spurt right now and filling out. He's about 5'5" now, but if he shoots up before we get there he might be nearer to 6ft! So much for the "little boy" I've been hiking with!

I need to pm you for some relevant info....read or respond at leisure, when you're up to it.

I'm feeling almost 100% now... yay!! I ran today for the first time... it felt lil different but still good. :)

Teacher & Snacktime
08-05-2013, 23:05
I think I'd prefer to do the ride into Damascus itself since we're familiar with it's place in AT lore....unless the Whitetop Station attraction is very much superior....any preference?

Teacher & Snacktime
08-05-2013, 23:06
I'm feeling almost 100% now... yay!! I ran today for the first time... it felt lil different but still good. :)

That's wonderful....I can't run even when I'm not dizzy! ;)

Lone Wolf
08-06-2013, 03:49
Ride the creeper trail? In or on what?

My overall VA thoughts so far are:

visit Damascus & do something interesting in that area
Grayson SP/Massie Gap....either a 1 day there & back to Thomas Knob Shelter w/ possible inclusion of Mt. Rogers peak
Roanoke area triple crown: McAfee Knob, Dragon's Tooth, Tinker Cliffs (preferably day hikes): The Homeplace
Shenandoah....some easy hiking with accessibles

additional: Foamhenge, Luray Caverns, Natural Bridge, Monticello

These are just some ideas of AT sites and hikes and educational attractions....and fun. Anyone is free to add. suggestions. I have to get the itinerary and budget set in the next 2 weeks (or so)

i work here http://www.adventuredamascus.com/

FarmerChef
08-06-2013, 11:02

I'll try to keep my options open. We've got to snip off that 23 miles which we can crush out in a day if we had to and cram our visit into a traditional weekend. The Labor Day weekend gives us an extra day to stay and play without the stress of driving down the night before and leaving late the last day.

That said, our daughter's broken toe must be fully healed before we can do it anyway so it might get bumped to later. We'll see! I'll keep everyone posted so if there's a chance we could get together, even if it's just for pizza and a brew at the BB or something, we can still make it happen.

FarmerChef
08-06-2013, 11:04

We'd love to join you for a dayhike to finish WV (really all you need) or a weekend overnighter if the timing is right. I'm active in the scouts (cub master, den leader) so my weekends get planned way in advance. Let me know what you're thinking of and I'll try to carve out some space. Even if it won't work to camp, we'd gladly come on out to meet you. There's great ice cream to be had in HF.

Deer Hunter
08-06-2013, 11:11
I'll try to keep my options open. We've got to snip off that 23 miles which we can crush out in a day if we had to and cram our visit into a traditional weekend. The Labor Day weekend gives us an extra day to stay and play without the stress of driving down the night before and leaving late the last day.

That said, our daughter's broken toe must be fully healed before we can do it anyway so it might get bumped to later. We'll see! I'll keep everyone posted so if there's a chance we could get together, even if it's just for pizza and a brew at the BB or something, we can still make it happen.

our daughter's broken toe must be fully healed Ouch, I hope it heals up ok

I'll keep everyone posted so if there's a chance we could get together, even if it's just for pizza and a brew at the BB or something, we can still make it happen. Wherever or whenever is fine with me. Just happy to meet some of my fellow WB'ers :)

Teacher & Snacktime
08-06-2013, 21:53
i work here http://www.adventuredamascus.com/

Thank You....I was rather hoping that we'd meet up ....when we get our plans solidified I'll let you know when we'll be in your neighborhood...perhaps ?

Teacher & Snacktime
08-06-2013, 21:58
Ok...we've done some date crunching and only one thing is set so far. Snacktime and I will be heading out on Mon 9/16 and arriving at HM's on 9/18...beyond that nothing is yet planned. So if that helps anyone plan their stuff, there it is.

FC...Snacktime and I will be in the area for a couple of weeks....we could do weekend or weekday hikes...whatever your schedule allows. I think the dayhike to WV would be the best plan personally, but we're flexible.

DH & HM....I've heard the Homeplace is only open certain days....we'll obviously need to plan our hikes accordingly! :)

HikerMom58
08-06-2013, 22:24
Ok...we've done some date crunching and only one thing is set so far. Snacktime and I will be heading out on Mon 9/16 and arriving at HM's on 9/18...beyond that nothing is yet planned. So if that helps anyone plan their stuff, there it is.

FC...Snacktime and I will be in the area for a couple of weeks....we could do weekend or weekday hikes...whatever your schedule allows. I think the dayhike to WV would be the best plan personally, but we're flexible.

DH & HM....I've heard the Homeplace is only open certain days....we'll obviously need to plan our hikes accordingly! :)

Hey T&S... just jumping on here real quick on my way to bed. So tired! Yes, Homeplace is open Thurs-Sunday only. Thurs-Saturday evening 4-8 Sundays 11-6. I'll talk to you tomorrow. Have a great night!! :)