PDA

View Full Version : Newbie planning questions

verysimple
07-30-2013, 08:20
Great forum here, lots of useful info.

My planning questions:
1) How much cash should one bring along?
2) Bathroom needs - does one need a trowel to bring along? Is it legal to bury away tp/wipes? Or plenty of restrooms are available long the way (doubtful)?
3) 20/30 degree Sleeping bags - plan to take one along, wouldn't those be too hot if the temps at night stay in 50s-70s?
4) I been a tent camper, never done tarp but this seems to be the general expert way to go. Wouldnt ants/snakes/spiders/mice/critters/bears be an issue if cowboy camping or just with a tarp and maybe net/bivy combo? One journal/blog I read said the mice are pretty smart and chewed through the tent/food wrapper when he walked away for few minutes.
5) Bear spray required/allowed? What are good brands?
6) Hiking bag capacity - what are general recommendations? 4000cc bag enough? I have 2700cc bag and I can add 2200cc to it externally or I have 5200cc+ bag.
7) Wood only stove - Are there enough dead/dry logs around to start and maintain a fire? DOnt plan on bringing any alcohol/fuel stoves.
8) Water filteration (against giratia especially) - thinking of purchasing Katadyn Hiker Pro - any experience with that model?
9) Starting looking at yahoo for a group travel plan in 2014, any other places were group JMT hikes are organized? meetup.com around my area has nothing planned.
10) Places to charge your cell phone - I assume there are minimal spots, any suggestions? I was thinking MTR and possibly taking goalzero along and keep it on top of the bag and let sun do its work....
11) Would it make sense to take ipod nano along? Does it get boring and would it be good to listen to music/audiobooks/podcasts along the way?

Thanks!

slbirdnerd
07-30-2013, 08:42
It will help everyone to know where and when will you be hiking and for how long?

Tom Murphy
07-30-2013, 08:42
My planning questions:
Based on your questions, my advice is do a five day hike this summer and again in the Fall, hopefully when it is raining. The AT is basically a series of 3-7 day long hikes.
no more than $20 at any time, bring ATM & credit cards
2) Bathroom needs - does one need a trowel to bring along? Is it legal to bury away tp/wipes? Or plenty of restrooms are available long the way (doubtful)?
a sharp stick works fine, yes, no
3) 20/30 degree Sleeping bags - plan to take one along, wouldn't those be too hot if the temps at night stay in 50s-70s?
sleeping bag can be opened, if single bag for whole hike than 20 deg F rating is a good compromise
4) I been a tent camper, never done tarp but this seems to be the general expert way to go. Wouldnt ants/snakes/spiders/mice/critters/bears be an issue if cowboy camping or just with a tarp and maybe net/bivy combo? One journal/blog I read said the mice are pretty smart and chewed through the tent/food wrapper when he walked away for few minutes.
tarp ground cloth is what the kewl kids do but you need to know how to select a site with a little care - a 1 person "tradtional" tent works just fine
mice are an issue there shelters
not required, I believe it is allowed
if you bring it, it should be readily accessible at all times, does no good in the pack
6) Hiking bag capacity - what are general recommendations? 4000cc bag enough? I have 2700cc bag and I can add 2200cc to it externally or I have 5200cc+ bag.
buy your gear first and then see if the smaller bag works
7) Wood only stove - Are there enough dead/dry logs around to start and maintain a fire? DOnt plan on bringing any alcohol/fuel stoves.
generally yes, but you should plan your food in case there isn't
8) Water filteration (against giratia especially) - thinking of purchasing Katadyn Hiker Pro - any experience with that model?
standard filter, widely used
water filteration is like religon or politics, not discussed in polite company
9) Starting looking at yahoo for a group travel plan in 2014, any other places were group JMT hikes are organized? meetup.com around my area has nothing planned.
10) Places to charge your cell phone - I assume there are minimal spots, any suggestions? I was thinking MTR and possibly taking goalzero along and keep it on top of the bag and let sun do its work....
solar chargers are still new technology, plan on the cell running out of juice on occasionally
11) Would it make sense to take ipod nano along? Does it get boring and would it be good to listen to music/audiobooks/podcasts along the way?
personal preference, some enjoy listening to music while hiking, others insistent that lisening to nature inmproves the hike

slbirdnerd
07-30-2013, 08:43
It will help everyone to know where and when will you be hiking and for how long? Sorry--I know JMT but the whole thing or just part, and when?

verysimple
07-30-2013, 08:48
Full JMT - August/September 2014.

verysimple
07-30-2013, 08:52
Thanks Tom.
My plan is to do a full JMT - August/September 2014.

Tom Murphy
07-30-2013, 08:59
oops, bear spray might be required on parts on the JMT, sorry

verysimple
07-30-2013, 09:06
Another question I forgot to ask:
How is the security on the trail? Do people tend to steal another people's food/supplies while one is sleeping? Especially since food should be 20+ yards away from the tent site I read..

DaFireMedic
08-01-2013, 01:13
My planning questions:

I'd personally bring a little more than $20, just in case. I brought $100, but I stopped in Mammoth.

You cannot bury TP or wipes. You must carry them. A sharp stick works well for the waste, I like using a snow stake. Much easier in harder soil.

You should be fine with a 20-30 degree bag. I've been hiking the Sierras nearly ally my life, and I can't remember too many nights above 50 when at JMT altitudes. I can't really remember any complaints from that range of bag, at least not of being too warm.

Unless you are used to a tarp, follow Tom's advice and bring the tent. It helps when the mosquitos are out.

Bear Spray is not allowed in Yosemite, it is considered a weapon. The ranger who gave the permit orientation was very clear on this, and I looked it up on the Yosemite NPS website later as well. I believe its allowed on most of the remainder of the JMT, but its not necessary. Follow the instructions of the ranger when you pick up your permit.

I saw several people with 2200 cc bags. I took a 4000 cc bag but didnt fill it up. 3000 seems like the sweet spot, unless you can do it with less.

There is enough wood, but there are new fire restrictions that we have been discussing on another thread:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?96592-Fire-restrictions-in-the-sierra-national-forests

I'd investigate before committing to a wood stove as your only source of heat for cooking.

The Hiker Pro is a good filter. I took a Sawyer inline and my son took a SteriPen. We ended up using the Steripen the most (by far). JMT water is arguably the most refreshing water on the planet, and the SteriPen is the only method of treatment that didn't affect the taste.

You can charge your cell phone at any of the normal resupply points (Tuolomne, Reds Meadow, VVR, MTR). Its just a matter of how long you want to stay there to let it charge. I took a Goal Zero Nomad 7 with an external battery strapped to the outside of my pack. I used my cell phone as both my still and video camera, e-book reader, GPS (just for fun) and....well...cell phone. The Goal Zero did a good job, except for the 4 consecutive days of thunderstorms.

Exactly what Tom said. Thats strictly a personal preference. I personally don't care to listen to music when I hike, as I like to get away from the world for a while. But others do and that's fine also. I occasionally read or listen to stuff in camp, but its not something thats necessary for me.

verysimple
08-01-2013, 06:31
Thanks !
Last question - security. See post #8.

Hill Ape
08-01-2013, 07:59
people on the trail are the same people you meet in the world. they are no better and no worse. most people aren't going to steal from you. but some will rob you blind given half a chance. stay situationally aware.

you've got a year to plan and prepare. go hiking as many weekends as you can, do some multiday trips, with your full load out, you'll quickly answer most of your own questions and settle your anxieties

verysimple
08-01-2013, 11:10
How does one stay situationally aware sleeping in his/her tarp with bear canister 75 feet away ?

Hill Ape
08-01-2013, 13:41
over analyze anything and you reach a point where there is no answer. see the last part of my post, your anxieties are normal for an inexperienced hiker, time out there will assuage them. if you're camping in a big crowd, and a couple of them seem real sketchy, respond accordingly, that is situationally aware.

i wont say people don't steal food, because sure as sheet it will happen. gear theft happens. people leaving cash in their pack when they hitch into town, sometimes get robbed. people become victims even in paradise out there. in general, theft is exceedingly rare, but stings in the worst way. most peoples fears and anxieties of hiking are misplaced. i think fearing for your food falls into that category. someone sneaking up in the dark of night to take your food, highly unlikely.