PDA

View Full Version : GPS tracking devices. Useful and/or affordable?

Mitey Mo
07-30-2013, 17:30
Well, I am quite distracted by Gerry's disappearance in Maine. I can see it so easily being me. I am near the same age and am "directionally challenged".
I've taken a compass and map reading course, I've practiced a few times, but I still get turned around so easily. I've been exploring GPS tracking devices on the internet looking for something lightweight, accurate, available for my husband to see where I am on the computer, good battery power and AFFORDABLE.
Any suggestions?

Alligator
07-30-2013, 17:34
You'd need a SPOT (http://www.rei.com/product/860469/spot-gen3-satellite-gps-messenger). Some of the apps for smartphones would work but not where there is no service. You might have battery issues as well. There's a service plan with SPOT.

Drybones
07-30-2013, 20:14
There's a GPS app for your phone called Gaia, a friend had it on the Art Loeb Trail and saved us from wrong turns several times. I believe they may still be working the bugs out of the Android version, his was on an Iphone and worked well.

Just Bill
07-30-2013, 20:30
The new spot, gen 3 was just released, I have one on order, but they run 150 plus service ($100 a year I believe?) The good news is, for a safety only piece, the gen 2 models are on sale now for $70 or so, and I believe the service is down to $50 a year for basic functions. The second gen spot was a vast improvement over the first and received excellent reviews. For SOS and OK messages home- you'll be covered, the new model is better, but mainly for tracking your hike.

Hill Ape
07-30-2013, 20:59
question about those spots. is there a way they can tracked, without a button being pushed? say for instance you're hurt and incapacitated?

kayak karl
07-30-2013, 21:24
question about those spots. is there a way they can tracked, without a button being pushed? say for instance you're hurt and incapacitated?
if it is on YES. so eventually somebody could come to help. the other buttons are help and OK. i had one with me. put pack in shelter and when getting water. i slipped on ice and slid down 30 ft. was ok but since i was at shelter nobody would of even considered looking till probably next day. other time i fell and cracked 2 ribs. again Spot was in pack not near me. i would say if you carry one, keep it on your person with your ID. :)

Just Bill
07-30-2013, 21:32
I have not found that anywhere, not even in the BPL review which is abnormally exhaustive. Short answer-I don't know for sure and can't tell you no with 100% certainty. Educated guess- I don't think so, what makes the battery last so long is that it is a Ping only type device- it's only actively working when it sends it's signal. When it verifies the signal has been sent, it shuts off all but it's most basic functions. The general "best practice" is to leave the tracking feature on, especially on the new model, assuming you fell and it stopped sending, you still had a tracking message go out within 10-20 min of your current position. Your FAILURE to press the button, is what causes a loved/trusted one to then notify authorities that you have failed to check in. The device will not know why you have stopped, only a human on the other end can help you when your OK message fails to arrive. THAT SAID- Spot data is available to your human and Emergency services when they call, putting the odds of them finding you much higher. If it's a big concern, call and find out-not meant to be harsh- the question you asked is a good one.

Just Bill
07-30-2013, 21:34
LOL- do I stand corrected then Karl? I looked for that feature in my research but couldn't find it.

Hill Ape
07-30-2013, 21:40
does that feature function even if you don't have a subscription? is it proprietary in that it can only be tracked by spot? or would any SAR team have the equipment to be able to pick up that signal?

Hill Ape
07-30-2013, 21:46
be as harsh as you want, i've got thick skin, if it comes to it we'll fling poo at each other. besides, from a guy with pigtails? c'mon man :bse

Just Bill
07-30-2013, 21:53
sensitivity level is a bit high these days ;) Kayak Karl may have to answer us both... As far as I understood it, the device does not have a signal. Think of it more like a flashlight- you turn it on and it flashes, then it turns off. I didn't think you could "call back" so to speak, but Karl may know more. You need to have a service plan, but the new gen seems to have basic tracking for free. I ordered one, should ship tomorrow, so when I get it set up I'll be able to tell you for sure. The pig tails are monumentally tuff, although I probably can't out poop an ape, so you probably have me there. As soon as humanly possible though Lone Wolf will be on this thread to explain to you that I am a liar and actually quite full of poop. Or knowing that fact he will egg you on into getting into a poop fight with me to see you lose. Mostly he'll have a good time, which is all that counts because deep down he's a pretty nice fella. A fact he will of course dispute.

Hill Ape
07-30-2013, 22:08
i understand about the pigtails, my girl loves it when i wear her lingerie. i'm familiar with locator beacons in aircraft, and understand what the capabilities might be, but have no first hand experience with personal units. its something i've been thinking about lately, with the recent deaths and missing on my girls mind when i go out.

Just Bill
07-30-2013, 22:32
I mainly have a desire to use the tracking features (go figure), but I do have a young son- so a little piece of mind for the wife is money well spent. Cell phones, despite the recent debate are no fun. Even when I snag a signal, I find myself talking to my wife when I didn't mean to. Even sending a quick text ends up with back and forth talk. I like my wife, so I find I can't stay disciplined enough not to turn a check in into a conversation. The Spot can sit on your shoulder strap, tell the wife you're okey-dokey, and god forbid possibly save your life. Really though- as my training runs have gotten longer, my Runkeeper app far exceeds the battery life of my phone. Leaving the phone dead in an emergency, and my training hike untracked- defeating the whole purpose of carrying the phone- so simple upgrade of a current device for me, with some nifty bonus features. https://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/spot_satellite_personal_tracker.html this is the link to the first gen review, which explains the technology better. Further down you'll find the second gen review, which is much more favorable- the device has come a long way.

Wise Old Owl
07-30-2013, 23:30
You'd need a SPOT (http://www.rei.com/product/860469/spot-gen3-satellite-gps-messenger). Some of the apps for smartphones would work but not where there is no service. You might have battery issues as well. There's a service plan with SPOT.

OK I just switched off all the services on my smartphone except GPS in fact the lowly Motorola in AIRPLANE mode ... continued to map on Google maps... I have not fully tested it... I will feild test it shortly.... Mapping works in no signal areas.

When I was in Delaware Water Gap, a rare signal area, on the ridge I was not interested in signal but the mapping kept working and topo.

Shutterbug
07-30-2013, 23:41
You'd need a SPOT (http://www.rei.com/product/860469/spot-gen3-satellite-gps-messenger). Some of the apps for smartphones would work but not where there is no service. You might have battery issues as well. There's a service plan with SPOT.Before you buy a Spot, check out the Delorme InReach. There is a big difference. The Spot is a one way device -- it sends out a signal. The InReach both sends and receives. That is an important difference. I was a big fan of Spot until last October. I was on a Grand Canyon hike when one of the members of my hiking group had a medical emergency. I sent out the SOS message with my Spot. The indicator on my Spot showed that the SOS was sent; however, it was never received. The medical emergency was resolved without help, but when I got back, I tried to track down what happened to my message. The Spot folks said it was never received. The InReach works the same way, except that you can carry on a two way conversation with the responders. The track feature works the same on both units. Every 10 minutes a message is sent showing the units location.

Wise Old Owl
07-31-2013, 00:00
Good to know shutterbug!

Just Bill
07-31-2013, 00:43
I did take a peek, I think on your recommendation Shutterbug actually...Anyway- weight, battery, and tracking were my main goals- edge seemed to be with the spot- the OK and emergency are bonus features for me. For the rest of you- do your homework, but that young man there has an excellent point.

Alligator
07-31-2013, 01:00
OK I just switched off all the services on my smartphone except GPS in fact the lowly Motorola in AIRPLANE mode ... continued to map on Google maps... I have not fully tested it... I will feild test it shortly.... Mapping works in no signal areas.

When I was in Delaware Water Gap, a rare signal area, on the ridge I was not interested in signal but the mapping kept working and topo.
The GPS part works but communications typically work through the cell phone part so no tracking. For instance, the GPS symbol will show on my phone but I cannot get directions if I don't have cell service. I think it has to be a 3G signal at least. So the phone might tell you where you were at but you can't communicate that to anyone. Sat phone would do it or something that communicates through satellites.

For me, if I put the directions in before losing cell service, the phone will still navigate. I don't know how much info it stores and what happens if it needs to recalculate in a dead cell zone. (A little off of her question that is.)

Hadn't hear about the InReach I'll take a peak at that device.

Just Bill
07-31-2013, 01:12
I bought myself a fancy Jobs-a-ma-phone. It was a T-Mobile, great around here, lousy on the trail. If a cell phone ends up your device of choice Verizon, followed by AT&T seem to be common winners in the service category. Also a bit of surprise for me- Cell signal and data service are not the same animal, I occasionally had one or the other, but more often than not I had no data service; so no apps, no options. If safety is the concern, I don't think a cell phone does the job. As a camera, MP3 player, pdf reader- the Iphone is nice, and also a convenient thing to have when in town as payphones are a thing of the past. Camera, phone and music combined in one device has been a good enough weight savings for me. The spot or in-reach is a different deal- but does what it does better than any other device and compliments or replaces a phone depending on what else you use your phone for. I'd strongly recommend the BPL articles if you have access. They also did in depth reviews of various communications options in their typical extremely detailed fashion.

Follow My Spot
07-31-2013, 04:24
I have both a SPOT 2 and a DeLorme inReach SE, I love both devices but they've each got their advantages and disadvantages.
SPOT doesn't work in polar regions or Africa, it seems also to only work well when facing up (sometimes a bit difficult floating around in the top pocket of a pack), it seems lighter, uses 3 AAA batteries (I think SPOT 3 uses 4) but batteries are expensive Energiser Lithium but at least you can take spares, there do seem to be some reliability issues with older devices (and with newer ones in the last week - see SPOT facebook page) though mine's always been very good, messages are one-way (out) and pre-programmed, subscription is cheaper.
DeLorme inReach is a bit more expensive both for Device and Subscription, I've only had mine a few weeks so can't really vouch for reliability though I had to soft-rest mine twice which is apparently unusual, the big benefit is that an inReach is custom messages both ways, you can in theory have a conversation on one though you really need to use the EarthMate app on an iPhone/Android phone via bluetooth to send custom messages, the big selling point for me is you actually know that the message has been sent, with a SPOT you're never really sure,. The inReach SE charges via USB, so over about 7 days you'd need a USB battery pack.
Both need a clear sky to work, under a forest canopy in my experience they only work 5-10% of the time, and that's probably when the signal was from a clearing, they work great in open terrain. In a steep gorge they're unlikely to work at all.
There's also another UK unit called a Yellowbrick, they have a very nice map interface (called YBlog), they seem to be targeted mostly at yachties, I have no experience with them though

Ironbelly
08-02-2013, 16:16
If you and your husband both have Iphones, then you can use the find my iphone app for free. If you sign in on your phone with the other's apple id then you can see where their phone is on the find my iphone app even though its only intended to find your phone. Don't think they intended it to work that way, but it does, and it works great. You don't need cell service either, anytime the phones gps is working the app will work.

Mitey Mo
08-02-2013, 17:38
I was wondering about that! I'm going to try that!

Alligator
08-02-2013, 18:23
If you and your husband both have Iphones, then you can use the find my iphone app for free. If you sign in on your phone with the other's apple id then you can see where their phone is on the find my iphone app even though its only intended to find your phone. Don't think they intended it to work that way, but it does, and it works great. You don't need cell service either, anytime the phones gps is working the app will work.Are you sure about that?

From here (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/reliability-of-the-find-my-iphone-feature/)

If your device has no data coverage, then obviously it cannot communicate with Apple’s iCloud servers to either report its location or receive instructions that you may send to it. In the case of a Wi-Fi only iPad or an iPod touch, this is very likely to be a problem unless the device is near an already-configured Wi-Fi network such as at your office, school, or a coffee shop that you frequent, or if the person who has your device can get into it and has configured it for another Wi-Fi network. Even with an iPhone, however, removing the SIM card, or travelling out of cellular data coverage will break access to the Find My iPhone feature.
Read more at http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/reliability-of-the-find-my-iphone-feature/#kJRhwxTlypZOFTfr.99

Goonky
08-02-2013, 20:55
I too have been following the search in Maine. I'm relatively new to hiking - just started in the last few years and haven't logged as many miles as many of you here. I still consider myself "green" as a hiker. :) My biggest concern on the trail isn't people or the woods. It's me. I worried about getting injured.

I read the reviews on the SPOT and InReach. Reviews seemed to be up and down. Some folks loved it, some didn't. I've decided to get a SPOT and try it on a hike later this month. I got it at LL Beans and called them to make sure I could return it if I was unhappy with it. They assured me I could. If it doesn't work well at sending out an OK message, I'll look into the InReach.

I'll be in the Barren Chairback range, and I'll be happy to report back how it worked.

Ironbelly
08-03-2013, 13:18
I guess I was mistaken, you are definitely correct. The find my iPhone feature only works with a 3/4g or wifi connection.

Mitey Mo
08-03-2013, 13:21
I too have been following the search in Maine. I'm relatively new to hiking - just started in the last few years and haven't logged as many miles as many of you here. I still consider myself "green" as a hiker. :) My biggest concern on the trail isn't people or the woods. It's me. I worried about getting injured.

I read the reviews on the SPOT and InReach. Reviews seemed to be up and down. Some folks loved it, some didn't. I've decided to get a SPOT and try it on a hike later this month. I got it at LL Beans and called them to make sure I could return it if I was unhappy with it. They assured me I could. If it doesn't work well at sending out an OK message, I'll look into the InReach.

I'll be in the Barren Chairback range, and I'll be happy to report back how it worked.
Please do! I'm very interested!

Shutterbug
08-03-2013, 14:19

I'll be in the Barren Chairback range, and I'll be happy to report back how it worked. Having used both the Spot for years and now the InReach for a year, here are the things that have caused me to be disappointed: 1. I forget to turn it on. I can't tell you how many times I have been several miles on a trail before I realized that I forgot to turn the tracking feature. 2. I didn't position the device where it has a clear view of the sky. More than a few times, I have accidentally blocked the antenna. Anything solid can block the signal. It works best when attached to the top of my pack. 3. Dense cover. Neither unit sends a signal that can penetrate a dense layer of leaves. For that reason, I have learned to seek out clearings from time to time and send out a message to show my location. 4. Slot Canyons. I often hike in the Grand Canyon. From my Grand Canyon experience, I have learned that the satellites are not always directly overhead. The canyon walls often block the signals.

Just Bill
08-03-2013, 23:37
Just got my Gen 3 spot, hope to start using it on trail runs at home here. They are shipping and available if people are interested.

Mitey Mo
08-04-2013, 05:07
$300 for a SPOT and a yearly $300 subscription just aren't "affordable" for me. If I was going out for 5 months and hiking the AT, maybe. But I do weekends.

Follow My Spot
08-05-2013, 00:10
With the SPOT 3 shipping now the SPOT 2's are being discounted, and to be honest there is not that much improvement between them (even though I'm upgrading to the new one). Have a look at http://www.amazon.com/SPOT-Satellite-Messenger-Orange-Black/dp/B002PHRDO2 - $86.95. Subscription is $99.99/year if you don't need the tracking capability, it's handy but again you can do without it, particularly in forested areas where you probably just want to send messages from clearings anyway

dla
08-07-2013, 09:37
Here is a decent read on SPOT - https://sites.google.com/site/hobbyhintstricksideas/Home/spot-messenger-information

I've been a SPOT user for 4 or 5 years now. Every year I ask the wife if I should re-up the service subscription and every year she says "definitely". Once you get the idea of the limitations (narrow slot canyons, etc.) and the usage model (lots of messages for "bread crumbs") SPOT is the best bang for the $ - right now.

I hate to admit that I'm a SPOT fanboy, but it is a good product. The 1st generation was a bit of an IQ test that some folks didn't do so well on. 2nd gen was pretty easy to use. Haven't seen a 3rd gen unit yet.

On a side note - I find it funny that now that people are able to test their PLBs (ACR ResQLink) they are discovering they have all the same signaling issues as SPOT.

Follow My Spot
08-07-2013, 13:03
Interesting what you say about signaling issues with PLBs, I was aware of the test feature which is a good idea and offers a (very) short term alternative to a SPOT. I imagined that that they would be much more reliable with more satellites and a stronger signal, are you saying that they have difficulty getting a signal out through dense cover? or is this just narrow slot canyons etc.?

dla
08-07-2013, 20:38
Interesting what you say about signaling issues with PLBs, I was aware of the test feature which is a good idea and offers a (very) short term alternative to a SPOT. I imagined that that they would be much more reliable with more satellites and a stronger signal, are you saying that they have difficulty getting a signal out through dense cover? or is this just narrow slot canyons etc.?
Exact same signaling limitations. Folks have carried them for years assuming they are superior. Quite a shock to some.

Wise Old Owl
08-07-2013, 20:49
Having used both the Spot for years and now the InReach for a year, here are the things that have caused me to be disappointed: 1. I forget to turn it on. I can't tell you how many times I have been several miles on a trail before I realized that I forgot to turn the tracking feature. 2. I didn't position the device where it has a clear view of the sky. More than a few times, I have accidentally blocked the antenna. Anything solid can block the signal. It works best when attached to the top of my pack. 3. Dense cover. Neither unit sends a signal that can penetrate a dense layer of leaves. For that reason, I have learned to seek out clearings from time to time and send out a message to show my location. 4. Slot Canyons. I often hike in the Grand Canyon. From my Grand Canyon experience, I have learned that the satellites are not always directly overhead. The canyon walls often block the signals.

I am on the fence on this post Shutterbug... my Motorola phone can "remember up to 2-3 minutes where it is and even when I step 20 feet into a basement under a steel structure.. I would suggest you make a short memo or list before you leave the car. We are now several generations later on the antenna and I think you are quoting old rhetoric..Yep slot canyons are understandable.

out of couriosity how much is the IN reach for you annual?

Follow My Spot
08-08-2013, 03:51
The inReach "recreation plan" is $24.95 / month (unlimited tracking + 40 messages) which is what I use - see http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/subscription-plans.php

Stalking Tortoise
08-08-2013, 13:22
The inReach Safety Plan is $9.95 plus taxes. 10 messages per month included but tracking is extra.

On a recent motorcycle trip, I activated the tracking for five days. That month's bill came up to ~$45. A little pricey but I wanted to try it out and see if there were any limitations. My wife (the chronic worrier) watched the map in real time on my ride home and knew exactly when I'd be home based on the tracking points getting closer and closer to the house.

http://fauster.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Hoot-80-2013-Edition/i-ppxrwbQ/0/M/hoot%20track-M.jpg

I was riding trails under heavy leaf cover and had no problems with reception or transmission. And the two-way communication in a cellphone quiet zone was pretty handy.

fredmugs
08-08-2013, 14:26
I don't own this but it does look promising.... http://www.meetearl.com/#features

matt923
11-03-2013, 13:12
For a simple GPS solution, get a Garmin etrex 20 and the complete AT map on a Garmin micro sim that pops into it. Garmin discontinued the AT map, but it's still readily available on Amazon. I used this setup on the trail in GA and VA and it worked super. The etrex 20 uses AA batteries, so no problems with power. :)

matt923
11-03-2013, 13:13
For a simple GPS solution, get a Garmin etrex 20 and the complete AT map on a Garmin micro sim that pops into it. Garmin discontinued the AT map, but it's still readily available on Amazon. I used this setup on the trail in GA and VA and it worked super. The etrex 20 uses AA batteries, so no problems with power. :)

Sorry, meant micro SD CARD!

Ercoupe
11-03-2013, 19:26
I ran into a hiker On The Colorado Trail who carried a spot, his wife made him carry it to make sure he was not in Las Vegas.

I carry a FastFind Personal Locator Beacon, for those life and death situations. It is around my neck anytime I am not in my tent. As is my Garmin Etrex 10. I use the Etrex and a map with UTM marking when I do make wrong turns. High initial cost but no fees for the Fastfind unit, 5 year battery life. I am happy with this setup.

However there have been times I was out of cell phone range for three days at a time, creating unneccesary anxiety at home. Thus anymore wilderness hikes will also include a tracker unit or I'm OK messenger, for peace of mind.

kayak karl
11-03-2013, 20:53
this is a MAP (http://goo.gl/maps/cAKHC) made by a SPOT of the AT. made 1/1 to 2/28/09 (it is 3 pages. scroll down). this is the map posted in journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=258977). there are many gaps where signals could not go thru. many times i had to wait 30 minute for OK to go thru. i don't carry one anymore (nobody cares where i am :)) now i carry an ACR (http://www.rei.com/product/804324/acr-electronics-aqualink-view-406-personal-locator-beacon) when kayaking in ocean, but not hiking.