PDA

View Full Version : First Aid Kits

Armywife
07-30-2013, 18:00
My husband and I have come up against our first problem, sort of. Worried about injury and being a soldier he wanted to create a first aid kit for me. Problem is, he has enough stuff now to supply an entire army for a few months of hard core battle. I know part of this is deployment related, once he gets home he will see that 8 huge boxes of emergency combat medical gear is over kill, I hope!

What should be in a good compact first aid kit?

fizz3499
07-30-2013, 19:33
A lot of hikers myself included make their own first aid kits. I take aspirin, Motrin, anti diarrheal and anti nausea medication along with an antihistamine ( I only take a few of each). Mole skin a few Band-Aids, alcohol wipes, a needle and white thread plus a small ace bandage. A couple of packages of emergenC and salt pretty much complete my first aid kit.

Rocket Jones
07-30-2013, 19:35
First aid training is recommended, because anything in your first aid kit that you don't know how to use is worthless. That said, I carry moleskin for hot spots and blisters, a couple of 4x4 bandages and a couple of bandaids. I also pack a pair of good tweezers. For medicines, I have 2-4 each (depending on length of trip) of alcohol wipes, tylenol, tylenol PM, immodium, benadryl and tums. I'm an older guy, so I also carry a couple of regular aspirin. Other items in my pack do double duty, like hand sanitizer, a bandanna, safety pins, needle and thread, duct tape, etc. Some folks carry more, some carry less.

I cannot take Ibuprofen, which is common enough to be called Vitamin I.

Something I always have is a two-sided laminated card with my name (and trail name), emergency contact info, blood type, drug allergies and health plan info. I always keep this up to date, and it stays in a ziploc with my first aid, repair, sewing and emergency items.

Sarcasm the elf
07-30-2013, 19:47
A lot of hikers myself included make their own first aid kits. I take aspirin, Motrin, anti diarrheal and anti nausea medication along with an antihistamine ( I only take a few of each). Mole skin a few Band-Aids, alcohol wipes, a needle and white thread plus a small ace bandage. A couple of packages of emergenC and salt pretty much complete my first aid kit.

I carry this as well as a few 4x4 gauze pads, diphenhydramine (aka benedryl), several feet of duct tape, which is used for all sorts uses in addition to emergency first aid and a pair of nitrile gloves in case i have to help out someone i dont know.
I have a needle and thread for gear repair, but for first aid I would use duct tape and a couple of the gauze pads for wound closure/trauma dressings.

This might sound like a lot, but it only weighs a couple of ounces and i'm glad to carry it in case of emergencies.

The to the new hands only CPR, there's no need for a non professional like me to carry a mask, so i'm saving an ounce right there.;)

One other note is that I carry either Pepcid or Zantac due to my acid reflux, and people who usually don't get heartburn frequently bum them off of me, seems like something about backpacking just causes it. So it might be a good idea to carry a pill or two in case heartburn strikes.

gumball
07-30-2013, 20:08
Exactly what others have said.

JustaTouron
07-30-2013, 20:30
Take a first aid course. Unless you know how to use the items they are useless. From the class you will figure out what you need to bring.

Just Bill
07-30-2013, 20:41
Leukotape, is the tape to rule them all, available on Amazon if all else fails. Sticks to gear, so doubles as repair tape/duct tape/ect. Learn to cut it into various bandages and don't carry them. Add a roll or two of 2" x 60" Gauze. Gauze + Tape= every size bandage you need. From there- check your medicine cabinet. Do you take antacids, allergy meds, asprin, ect. Peptol Bismol tabs make a good catch all for stomach issues, replacing at least 3 meds. Most hikers have the squirts the first week out, so pack accordingly. An antihistamine is a good addition that most folks agree on. Needle and thread(dental floss) should be along anyway for repairs. Any other special needs should be addressed (epi-pen, prescription meds, ect.) In hot weather some electrolyte suppliments are handy if you are unsure of your performance in said conditions. If you are prone to blisters, or unsure- some Spenco Second Skin is a good addition. Blood stopper bandages- not if you have toilet paper. Triangle wraps- you have a bandana. Extra gauze- you have a packtowel or Lightload towel already, plus clothes. As mentioned the most important thing to pack in a first aid kit is knowledge; it substitutes for thousands of commercially available items, will serve you better than any of them, and weighs nothing. Lack knowledge? Pack a guide and read it on the trail, eventually you can leave it at home. If you have a TRUE emergency- you are better served by packing light enough to get to trained medical help as fast as possible, not by carrying a monster kit.

atraildreamer
07-30-2013, 21:04
You can pick up a package of 50 of these Easy Dose pill pouches at WalMart for about $1.50. You can use them for small quantities of medications. Be sure to label the pouch to avoid confusion when needed. You can also use them for making up small sewing kits, repair items, $$$, storing condiments, whatever.

Just Bill
07-30-2013, 21:13
Every hiker should own those pill bags- I use them for everything I can, they weigh a gram or so each. Good addition!

Traffic Jam
07-30-2013, 21:21
I've got all the antis (diarrhea, histamine, nausea, antibiotic ointment, etc), aspirin and ibuprofen. I carry steri strips, benzoin (makes the steri strips stick), dermabond (skin glue), sterile gauze, tape, scissors, sterile gloves, feminine pads (excellent for pressure dressings!), chloroprep swabs, surgicel (to help blood clot), band aids, moleskin, vaseline gauze, and electrolyte tabs. LOL! It's overkill but I just can't help it, I'm a registered nurse. I feel responsible to be prepared for the most common emergencies.

bigcranky
07-30-2013, 21:25
My first aid kit weighs less than 3 ounces. Blister pads, medium band-aids (I like the clear waterproof ones that really stick), some larger self stick pads, some alcohol wipes, a few antibiotic ointment packets, a tick remover, some wound closure strips, etc. Nothing I don't know how to use, and I end up carrying too much even with this small kit.

My medications are a separate kit, with asthma meds, etc.

Also love the little pill bags.

bigcranky
07-30-2013, 21:26
Oh, yeah, some anti-diarrheal, antacids, and an antihistamine. All in small blister packs of maybe 8-12 pills. Forgot.

MuddyWaters
07-30-2013, 22:23
The most important thing, is the medications. Ibuprofen, loperamide, benadryl. You only need enough for a couple days max at a time too, not whole bottles. Benadryl can save you, or someone elses, life. It goes without saying if you are allergic to anything, you need epi-pens.

Then the other stuff, bandaids, gauze, tape, tweezers, needle, dental floss, antibiotic packets, alcohol prep wipes.

If it all ways more than ~4 oz (sans epipens) , youve probably got too much stuff.

No AED's.

daddytwosticks
07-31-2013, 07:22
Agree with most posts. Make your own. It shouldn't weigh more than 3 - 4 ounces max and fit in a small snack or sandwich ziplock bag. :)

garlic08
09-19-2013, 08:40
Agree with most posts. Make your own. It shouldn't weigh more than 3 - 4 ounces max and fit in a small snack or sandwich ziplock bag. :)

Ditto this, which was basically dittoing everyone else.

All I'll add is that it's personal. For instance, I never get headaches or joint pain or intestinal disorders or allergy problems, so my kit has no pills at all. But I do have chronic athlete's foot issues, so (on long hikes only) I carry an antifungal cream. You don't need to pack everyone else's first aid needs--unless you're hiking with a dependent, they should carry their own.

Also think about what else in your pack can be used for first aid. If your pack has removal aluminum stays, those are excellent splints. The bandanna has been mentioned. A small sewing kit has its uses. I hope I never see any of this.

A cool head is the most valuable thing you have with you, not only in an emergency but also for prevention. Take a break at a stream and wash your feet regularly and you won't need most of your kit. Knowing your limits on mileage and how well you do in cold and heat, what happens when your feet are muddy for three days straight, knowing most accidents happen on the descent and that wet rocks are slippery, etc. are more important than anything you carry in a kit.

Wise Old Owl
09-19-2013, 09:09
Leave the hospital and the bandaids at home. Stuff for blisters and alergies, you should be in the ounces range.... Nothing more. No snake bite kits, sting suckers, sissors, You are hiking... A compression band roll in case you get a twisted ankle.

it should be $5!
http://www.rei.com/product/832240/hart-1-day-first-aid-kit-special-buy

CB1821
09-19-2013, 09:55
“First aid training is recommended, because anything in your first aid kit that you don't know how to use is worthless.”

“As mentioned the most important thing to pack in a first aid kit is knowledge; it substitutes for thousands of commercially available items, will serve you better than any of them, and weighs nothing.”

“Take a first aid course. Unless you know how to use the items they are useless. From the class you will figure out what you need to bring.”

I saw on another thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?97209-Wilderness-First-Aid-Virginia-Beach-Other-Locations&highlight=first+aid+courses (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?97209-Wilderness-First-Aid-Virginia-Beach-Other-Locations&highlight=first+aid+courses)) where Solo Schools held Wilderness First Aid courses (and others), for those that do not have this knowledge base/skill.

Has anyone had any experience with this company/course?

Any other course/book suggestions?

Slo-go'en
09-19-2013, 11:13
Basically, you just need to treat blisters and a bottle of New Skin does a good job of that. A few bandaids and some OTC pain, allergy pills and some anti-itch cream finishes the kit. Unless you need some specific drugs to treat chronic medical conditions. Tools like needle and thread, sissors and tweezers you should have anyway.

Serious injury on the AT is usually the result of falling down and breaking something. In that case about all you can do is eat all your pain killers and wait to be carried out.

treesloth
09-19-2013, 11:32
Serious injury on the AT is usually the result of falling down and breaking something. In that case about all you can do is eat all your pain killers and wait to be carried out.

I think you nailed it there. Even a super robust (and heavy) first aid kit won't help too much when faced with that. I think a lot of people fail to realize that you really only need to carry just enough med kit to mainly have some pain medicine handy or keep smaller wounds from getting infected. At a town/road crossing, you can then a.) seek further help, or b.) get more med supplies to replace what you just used, or c.) both.

AngryGerman
09-20-2013, 11:54
I've added a holistic approach to my 1st Aide Kit as well; see below. No need to take a Army medics or combat medics approach here.

14 Tylenol w/caffeine (migraine medicine for the worst of them)
14 Ibuprofen for extreme injuries
Sew kit w/a bit of fishing line in it (I'll explain below) I remove the buttons from the sew kit and only have a small bit of
black and white thread.
Quarter ounce of lavender oil (stops bleeding and eases pain)
One ounce of tea tree oil (antiseptic, mouthwash, etc.)
Half ounce of German Chamomile (heals cuts, stops infection, etc.)
Hand sanitizer, mini bottle
Two feet of gauze roll stuffed inside the TP roll
Duct tape wrapped around the trekking poles for bandages, etc.
One very small piece of lemongrass soap, maybe quarter ounce (only during high bug season)
Swiss Army knife with scissors attachment; usually kept in the food bag.

*Tea Tree oil combined with lavender also aids in easing bee stings and bug bites.
*Lemongrass soap aides in bug deterrent along with cleaning your nasty parts.
* Essential oils listed have many uses as does certain teas that you would possibly drink on the trail.
If interested, perform some quick research and you will discover what I am talking about.
*Teas can also be used for hot or cold compresses.
*Use thread and the smallest sewing needle for blister treatment. Thread the needle through the blister then leave the thread inside the blister over night. This will aid in
allowing the blister to dry out while you sleep. Use duct tape for coverage the next day if needed. You can also use fishing line for blister drainage.
*If you need stitches in a pinch, use that sewing kit and fishing line; it works! Leaves a nasty scar sometimes if you or your buddy can't sew; hehe!

Hope this can be of
assistance to you folks.

MuddyWaters
09-20-2013, 21:51
“First aid training is recommended, because anything in your first aid kit that you don't know how to use is worthless.”

“As mentioned the most important thing to pack in a first aid kit is knowledge; it substitutes for thousands of commercially available items, will serve you better than any of them, and weighs nothing.”

“Take a first aid course. Unless you know how to use the items they are useless. From the class you will figure out what you need to bring.”

I saw on another thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?97209-Wilderness-First-Aid-Virginia-Beach-Other-Locations&highlight=first+aid+courses (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?97209-Wilderness-First-Aid-Virginia-Beach-Other-Locations&highlight=first+aid+courses)) where Solo Schools held Wilderness First Aid courses (and others), for those that do not have this knowledge base/skill.

Has anyone had any experience with this company/course?

Any other course/book suggestions?

I dont know what anyone could possibly bring that they wouldnt know how to use. Bandaid? tape? gauze? alcohol wipe? gloves? REally. The above sounds like total garbage. Thousands of items? Um..really??

Wilderness first aid is mostly about 1) recognizing symptoms of serious injuries so you can communicate that to rescuers 2) stabilizing injuries or making the victim more comfortable until help arrives, without harming the victim.

Anyone can treat a wound with a bandaid, or a blister. First aid courses will tell you to NEVER pop a blister, it opens it up to infection. Everyone knows that it will break anyway, and its better if they drain it and tape it than try to use moleskin and live with it.

Rocket Jones
09-21-2013, 11:09
I dont know what anyone could possibly bring that they wouldnt know how to use.

I've met more than one hiker who brings a commercial first aid kit containing things like arm slings, ace bandages and blood clotting material. How many people actually know how to correctly wrap a sprained ankle? Remember the old razor blade and suction cup snake bite kits? You can still get them, and lots of inexperienced people do. People pack for their fears, and first aid kits are a prime example.

Wise Old Owl
09-21-2013, 11:16
could not have said that better myself... +1

MuddyWaters
09-21-2013, 12:13
Snake bite kits arent first aid, they are useless gadgets. Proven to have virtually no beneficial effects.

If someone cant wrap an ace bandage lightly around a wrist or ankle to help immobilize it, they should stay home, they are obviously a moron. Regardless, not needed either, although I expect its common that a lot do bring them, its of minimal value.

If you cant use a premade sling, you should certainly stay home as well because you will never be able to rig one out of a shirt or bandana if needed.

Most everything has directions on the packet, including quick clot. Most commercial first aid kits have directions and a pamphlet inside.

Thats 3 things. What are the other 997+? I can think of cold packs, inflatable splints, finger splints etc. All items any idiot can figure out how to use. Not saying they should bring them, but its just not that hard.

Saying "dont bring this, you will never be able to figure out how to use it" is what is stupid. Saying "dont bring this, its not necessary, you can improvise" is more legitimate.

CB1821
09-21-2013, 16:42
I dont know what anyone could possibly bring that they wouldnt know how to use. Bandaid? tape? gauze? alcohol wipe? gloves? REally. The above sounds like total garbage. Thousands of items? Um..really??

Wilderness first aid is mostly about 1) recognizing symptoms of serious injuries so you can communicate that to rescuers 2) stabilizing injuries or making the victim more comfortable until help arrives, without harming the victim.

Anyone can treat a wound with a bandaid, or a blister. First aid courses will tell you to NEVER pop a blister, it opens it up to infection. Everyone knows that it will break anyway, and its better if they drain it and tape it than try to use moleskin and live with it.

Who is talking about bringing "thousands of items"?

I was asking if a particular basic first aid course put on by Solo schools was any good. I thought it would be a good learning experience for my 14-year-old, and he expressed an interest in taking it. NOC hosts the class several times a year, and that would be close enough to us for me to take him there. Hence the question.

perrymk
09-22-2013, 08:16
Most things have already been covered. In addition carry things specific to your needs. I am particularly susceptible to bee and wasp stings (I must be made of wasp chocolate) so carry an antihistamine and a topical benzocaine similar to one of these (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sting+benzocaine&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Asting+benzocaine).

Ewok11
09-22-2013, 19:55
CB1821 - I was pretty sure, so I checked the website to confirm. There is a minimum age of 18 to attend the SOLO classes at NOC. I don't think it could hurt for you to take the class and share the information with your son but he won't be able to go.

steve0423
09-22-2013, 22:17
+1 for the tiny homemade kit. Learn some basic wilderness type first aid, have a level head and know that you have the basics for a tourniquet, sling, etc on you. Also understand that you are not really in what most folks would call "the wilderness" and that someone will come walking down the trail if you just stay put.

also a huge +1 for Leukotape, if you haven't discovered the magic of the Leuko, your missing out big time

Raymond James
09-22-2013, 22:24
It sounds like the OP has everything that they need in the way of first aid supplies to make the hike. I understand your husband is worried and as a military medic over thinks the danger thus the need for supplies. You cannot blame him for worrying about you, you could take the whole hospital with you and he would still worry. Doubt it helps but you can tell him this retired MSG US Army Medical Department thinks you got it covered. The wilderness first aid courses can be very helpful but are not necessary. I do recommend everyone take a Basic American Red Cross Fist Aid Class.

CB1821
09-23-2013, 07:09
CB1821 - I was pretty sure, so I checked the website to confirm. There is a minimum age of 18 to attend the SOLO classes at NOC. I don't think it could hurt for you to take the class and share the information with your son but he won't be able to go.

I thought there might be an age restriction but had not seen that when I was looking on the WEB site. Thanks for pointing that out. Interestingly, I found out that in our state the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission puts on a firearm safety course that "includes ethics and responsibility, conservation and wildlife management, wildlife identification, survival and first aid..." that has no minimum age requirement. I also understand that the high school that he will go to next year hosts the course. That might be worth while for him to take - for the first aid knowledge as well as to reinforce what he has been taught on the other subjects.

Ewok11
09-23-2013, 10:15
The age restriction is hidden on the application. I'm glad you found something for your son and hopefully he will learn a lot from it.