PDA

View Full Version : Double checking my supply list

Chick-fil-A
07-31-2013, 10:11
Hello folks!

The moment has arrived :-). Today is my last day of work and Sunday I will be on the trail. I'm hiking for two weeks from Hot Springs NC to Marion VA. I include a list of my supplies for your review. What should I eliminate, what am I missing. So far my pack weight is about 35lbs.

Also since its summertime I'm considering not bringing my tent and just using the shelters and/or my hammock. Good idea, bad idea?

August hiking trip supplies:

Food:
1 6 pouches of food
20 pouches of oatmeal
Snacks
Gatorade powder
Apple sauce
Powdered milk
Trail mix
Pizza for first 2 days

Cooking:
Stove
Gas for 12 days
Plate
Bowl
Cup
Pot holder
Water tablets
Matches

Medical:
Aspirin
Benadryl
Cold meds
Bug spray
Mole skins
Band aids
Skin so soft

Personal:
Tooth brush
Tooth paste
Deodorant
Contact lense cases
Wipes
Toilet paper
Extra laces
Nail clippers

Clothes
4 pairs of underwear
4 shirts
3 shorts
1 pants
6 pairs of socks
boots

Supplies:
Hammock
Tent
Sleeping bag
Duct tape
Head lamp extra bbatteries
hydration pack
Solar charger

im lookin forward to your sugestions!

pumped!!!

Chick-fil-A

hikerboy57
07-31-2013, 10:33
cut the clothes in half.2pr underwear 2-3 pr socks max, i pr of shorts.
also 1 pant instead of a pair.
you should always bring your own shelter.always.

coach lou
07-31-2013, 10:40
Camera!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Rocket Jones
07-31-2013, 10:41
plate *and* bowl?

deodorant?

way too many clothes.

solar charger won't work well enough to justify the excess weight.

max patch
07-31-2013, 10:42
I'm guessing that looking at your gear list that you are relatively inexperienced so take my suggestions with that in mind. If you are experienced and what you list works for you then ignore my comments.

Assuming no zero days, you are averaging 21 miles per day. If you take 1 zero day to resupply, etc then that takes you to 23 miles per day. This is too aggressive unless you know from experience that you can do this. I'd change my exit point to somewhere closer.

I'm assuming you are planning to carry all the food listed. Don't do this. I would do a resupply in Erwin.

Most people eat out of their cook pot. Don't need a plate and a bowl.

Don't need deodorant.

Too many clothes. I wear shorts with a liner and don't need underwear. If you need underwear you don't need 4 pairs. I'd take 2 shirts (one to sleep in) and 2 shorts. Don't need long pants. 6 pairs of socks is too many; 2 pair is enough. No rain jacket listed.

Most people find that solar chargers don't work. Recharge your electronics in town. Don't plan on always being at empty shelter when you want one. Take a tent or hammock; not both.

Have you weighed you pack?

moldy
07-31-2013, 10:43
I think that you won't want for much. Your pack must weigh 50 lbs. So your food plan is to carry all your food and not pick up anything in Erwin or Damascus or any other place along the trail? Also your clothing plan seems a bit much. Now this is what I would do, Summer hike, TN/VA. 4 days worth of food, no more. Get rid of all that clothing, 1 extra pair of socks, underwear and shirt. No extra batteries or laces. Deodorant? And get some bug dope, 100% deet would be fine. If you can get your whole kit to weigh less than 25 pounds you will have a great hike.

RED-DOG
07-31-2013, 10:59
Too much food their is places every 4-5 days you can get resupplied such as Erwin TN, Hampton TN, Damascus VA if you take pizza only take enough for the first day that stuff gets soggy after awile, What kind of stove are you using ? if it's a cannister stove one cannister would be fine if it's a alcohol don't need 12 days of fuel you can get that in towns as you need to, Don't need a Plate or Bowl, or cup Two 32 oz gatoride bottles would be just fine,loose the Hydration pack, also like every one else has stated cut your cloths in half, don't need deodorant you will stink any ways, you will need a tent, also you don't need extra laces or nail clippers. Good luck and happy hiking.

RED-DOG
07-31-2013, 11:09
Also don't forget to stop by Kincora Hostel Bob Peoples is a real great guy and it's a cool place to check out and i think he would have alot of helpful suggestions for you.

max patch
07-31-2013, 11:24
Again, I don't know your pace but perhaps you should consider Hot Springs to Hampton.

Hot Springs to Erwin 68 miles and zero day to resupply. Based on pace, etc, revise end point if necessary.

Erwin to Kincora 74 miles to spend nite and resupply. Bob Peoples will shuttle you into Hampton for supplies. If vacation time is up stay in Hampton and don't return. If time is left, it's a one day hike to Hampton.

fredmugs
07-31-2013, 11:52
I hammocked through a good chunk of what you're planning and that's the way I would go. Personally applesauce doesn't sound like a good idea.

Chick-fil-A
07-31-2013, 12:17
Wow 9 replies in less then two hours. Got it everybody I will take your suggestions to heart. As far as experience I have hiked a maximum of 4 days several times. Usually by day 3 or 4 I can easily handle 20 plus miles a day. If it gets too much for me my plan is to pull out in Damascus. I'm in pretty good shape so lets see what happens.
My stove is a pocket rocket. Will I be able to find fuel canisters somewhere in Erwin? I imagine so. BTW Thank you for the recommendation about Erwin, the guidebook was a little vague.

Assuming I can resupply there then I make the following adjustments:

3pairs of wool
2 shorts
2 shirts
2 underwear
6 pouches of food

I WILL LOOSE THE:

Applesauce
Shoe laces
Pizza :-(
Solar charger

I will add bug spray and loose the skin so soft,
My phone was going to be my camera but if the solar charger I ordered wont really work then maybe I will loose the the phone and panel and bring my digital camera.

As far as the tent, my question is the following. Is this section of the trail quite busy this time of year? Will I expect the shelters to be full? I love using my hammock and Im not much if a tent kinda guy. I just don't want to not bring a tent and regret it.

Studlintsean
07-31-2013, 12:38
If you're bringing a hammock (with rain protection, etc.) you should not need the tent.

Chick-fil-A
07-31-2013, 12:55
Awesome! I think I can get my pack weight under 30 lbs then. I will know for sure tonight.

tks Studlintsean

Slo-go'en
07-31-2013, 13:09
You never know when a troop of boy scouts or a religious youth group will show up and take over a shelter. If this happens, you usually want to be somewhere else.

You still have too many clothes. 2 T-shirt, 2 underware, 2 socks and 1 pair of shorts and 1 pants (hiker converta zip off pants cover both). A long sleeve shirt and a light jacket is always worth while. Maybe even a rain jacket - it has been known to rain a bit this year :)

Hot Springs to Marion is not the easiest section of trail. There are lot of endless, all day uphill climbs which can wear at you in hot and humid weather. If you need to get to Marion for the bus home, I'd start in Erwin instead of Hot Springs to ensure you have enough time to finish in 2 weeks without having to push yourself too hard. If you run out of time, getting home from the other bail out points would not be convient.

Sitka
07-31-2013, 14:04
What about taking your phone, but placing it in airplane mode while your hiking. This way the charge will last way longer, and it's probably lighter than a camera and you can charge it when you get into civilization...? (I'm still learning, so please be gentle...)

JustaTouron
07-31-2013, 14:17
plate *and* bowl?

He is taking a plate and bowl and cup.

Yet no fork, spoon, spork or chopsticks are listed.

I would trade the plate for a spork.

Chick-fil-A
07-31-2013, 14:44
Fortunately I have family in Marion VA, and my car will be left at their house. In theory I'm hiking to their house, but in worst case scenario I can pull out in Damascus and get a ride. So my options are not too complicated :-).

Here is my revised list, Im at 32 pounds, I will be really happy with 30.

August hiking trip supplies:

Food:
6 pouches of food
10 pouches of oatmeal
5 cliff bars
Gatorade powder
Powdered milk
Trail mix
string cheese and slim jims

Cooking:
Stove (pocket rocket)
3 gas canisters
Cup
spoon
Water tablets
Matches

Medical kit:
Aspirin
Benadryl
Cold meds
Bug spray
Mole skins
Band aids

Personal:
Tooth brush
Tooth paste
Contact lense cases
Wipes
Toilet paper
Nail clippers

Clothes
2pairs of underwear
2 shorts
2shirts
3 pairs of socks

Supplies:
Pack
Hammock
Plastic sheeting for above hammock
Chord for tarp, bungee chords
2 stakes
Sleeping bag
Duct tape
Head lamp
Extra flash light
Camera
Trek poles

Chick-fil-A
07-31-2013, 14:46
Sometimes we forget the simplest things. Spork is in.

hikerboy57
07-31-2013, 15:05
Sometimes we forget the simplest things. Spork is in.sporks suck.get a long handled spoon.itll keep the food off your hand when you eat

Slo-go'en
07-31-2013, 15:35
You don't need 3 fuel canistors. For a 2 week trip, one small one will be sufficent - unless you plan on doing a lot of baking on the trail...

In 2 weeks, it's unlikely you'll need nail clippers - so long as you remember to trim all your nails before you leave. A small, locking pocket knife can be much more useful.

Bungee cords are pretty useless and heavy. Just use cord. Plastic sheeting isn't very durable for a tarp - get a nylon tarp or some Tyvek.

slbirdnerd
07-31-2013, 21:18
Everyone's suggestions are great and it's terrific you are listening. You can get under 30 if you keep listening--I'm at like 25 for a long weekend, and heck I'm a girl. Definitely resupply (or ship yourself a box) instead of carry all the food. Also, Jack Links beef sticks are WAY better than Slim Jims--not greasy, more like food. Cabela's has packs of 9 for around $6. I don't see a water bottle and like a 2 liter Platypus bottle, and you need to carry some water and be prepared to camel up for segments without much water. Take a 32 oz Gatorade bottle and ditch the cup. I don't think you need the headlamp and the flashlight. Start with fresh batteries. Repack your food into Ziplock brand (not generic) freezer bags--more compact and a little lighter. Have a great hike!

marti038
08-01-2013, 09:39
I know it's critical that you not run out of one or the other, but TP and whipes?

Also, why the extra flashlight?

If it's worth it to you to carry the extra weight then by all means. I don't want come across as critical, but if you're looking to trim weight...

bigcranky
08-01-2013, 11:14
If the extra flashlight is one of those squeeze Photon lights, that's great.

I would want a sleeping pad in the shelters. I didn't see that on your list.

A single small 4 oz canister lasts me more than a week in the summer, but these days I just take cold food. If you are worried about fuel, bring an 8 ounce canister, as they are much more weight-efficient (12 oz total for 8 oz fuel, vs 7 oz total for 4 oz fuel.) You can pick up another one in Damascus if you run low.

That doesn't look like enough food to me, but I don't know how much you are taking for gorp, etc. You can always get more along the trail.

Guidebook? Or just the appropriate pages printed out? Maps? I'd at least want the mileage and info from the Databook if nothing else.