PDA

View Full Version : I am I missing better choices on camp shoes?

CB1821
07-31-2013, 11:44
As I currently see it, there are several ways you can go on the camping shoe issue:
1. Don’t take any - just use your hiking shoes around camp
2. Take some type of commercial ultra-light product (like a foam sandal) or homemade version (like this creative camp shoe http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?95481-1-oz-waterproof-camp-shoe&highlight=camp+shoes (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?95481-1-oz-waterproof-camp-shoe&highlight=camp+shoes)) for use
3. Try to find the lightest camp shoe that can also be used for river crossings and, if needed, to hike in
4. Just take a comfortable camp shoe without giving any real consideration to the weight factor
After much thought, I decided #3 was the way I wanted to go because of the balance between weight and versatility, and so I started doing some research. From WB, other hiking sites, and internet shopping, I came up with the following choices:
1. Crocs
2. Minimalist-type running shoes
3. Timberland Radler Trail Camp Shoes
I crossed off the Crocs – they come in at close to 12 to 16 oz for a pair (although knock-offs are often less) and I could not see them being secure enough to hike in (if my hiking shoes failed – which happened not long ago when the sole of my Merrill’s separated) or for water crossings
The Timberlands seemed like a great choice. I found them on sale, they folded up for easy storage, and they were advertised at about 8 oz. They came and I used them on my last trip, and indeed they seemed to meet my requirements. EXCEPT….. when I came back I actually put them on the scale. It seems that they actually weighted over 1 lb. Although they implied otherwise, the stated 8 oz was for each individual shoe!
Back to the internet I went…. two other shoes seemed to hold promise, the Vivobarefoot Ultra Pure Shoes at an advertised 8.8 oz per pair and New Balance Minimus HI RES at 7.4 oz a pair. I went with the HI RES, although I have to admit that $120 is a little on the expensive side (the Ultra Pure are about half that). When they came they actually weighed in at 8.2 oz for size 12. Although I have not used them yet for long distance hiking or river crossings, in walking around with a full pack, they seem to be durable enough to function as emergency hiking shoes and secure enough for river crossings.
So my question is: Am I missing better options for a light weight (1/2 lb range) “versatile camp” shoe and/or is there some logical flaw that you can see in choosing “option 3” to begin with?

Meriadoc
07-31-2013, 12:04
Waldies are a lighter version of crocs. They may be hard to find in the right size.

Option 3 is just fine. I've seen a number of people resort to their crocs for a 10 to 20 mile stretch. It's your hike :)

You are missing option 0 though - walking barefoot around camp. It feels glorious! Like a massage.

Gambit McCrae
07-31-2013, 12:17
Cant beat Crocs. End of story

Tom Murphy
07-31-2013, 12:36
Teva Nilch Water Shoes ~ 13 oz./pair $40-55

I have an older model. One draw back is that your feet don't get to "breath" in camp. I have hiked in them when water crossing were close together but I could feel every small rock so not really for extended hiking.

CB1821
07-31-2013, 13:58
I've seen a number of people resort to their crocs for a 10 to 20 mile stretch.
Cant beat Crocs. End of storyPerhaps. I have tried to use my son's Crocs with little success. They keep coming off, so I have a hard time understanding how you could hike in them, much less keep them on crossing rivers such as you find in Maine. I'd think it was just me, but my son ditched his crocs as campshoes in favor of the NB Minimus Zero Trail (@ 9.7 oz) for the same reason.

Teva Nilch Water Shoes ~ 13 oz./pair $40-55

I have an older model. One draw back is that your feet don't get to "breath" in camp. I have hiked in them when water crossing were close together but I could feel every small rock so not really for extended hiking.

Yea, well.... being super light the HI RES are not exactly what I would want to use as main hiking footware either. It's not "option 0", but I would think that for extended use, foot soreness would definatly be an issue. Again, it is just the idea that there is a backup available without having to go "barefoot sister" hiking.

max patch
07-31-2013, 14:01
I like tevas, as you can use them in river crossings, in camp at nite, can hike in them, can wear them around town. Not exactly lite, though.

HooKooDooKu
07-31-2013, 14:03
You can usually find Croc knock-offs (or similar) that are lighter at Wal-Mart.

Then there is the Vivobarefoot Ultra Pure minimalist running shoes. (But note, the weight specifications of 4oz is for one shoe, to the total is 1/2#).

fredmugs
07-31-2013, 15:18
I didn't buy these necessarily as camp shoes but I got these at K Mart for $6.99. Just weighted them at 6.8 ounces each. I may take them on my upcoming PCT hike. http://www.kmart.com/northwest-territory-men-s-sandal-northweswt-mountain-black/p-035VA53408312P?prdNo=6&blockNo=6&blockType=G6

CB1821
07-31-2013, 15:44
For the price, that looks like a great find. They look like they would be secure on your feet, and if they are at all durable, that would work. And it represents a savings of $113.01 over the NB Minimus HI RES. For that kind of money, I don't think I would notice the 5 extra ounces ;)

daddytwosticks
07-31-2013, 15:46
I like tevas, as you can use them in river crossings, in camp at nite, can hike in them, can wear them around town. Not exactly lite, though. Teva recently released their "original" model. I have a pair in size 10 that weigh <13 ounces. I know they are heavier than most other camp shoes, but to me they feel better (and look better) than crocs or croc knockoffs. Can't do the flip-flop thing between the toes. :)

peakbagger
07-31-2013, 17:10
Long ago I had a problem with my boots in PA and got blisters on the sides of my feet, I had a choice of bailing or wearing Tevas. I ended up doing 18 mile the nest day on the PA rocks and 8 miles the next day to our car. After that I switched to trail runners but on long trips still carry the tevas.

kidchill
07-31-2013, 18:08
I went with VivoBarefoot as I have size 13 feet and crocs were ridiculously heavy! I also can't stand sandal thongs. The vivos offer no real protection or padding, but they're great for airing out your feet at the end of the day! Also, I could wear them around town without too much discomfort. Crocs are so much more comfortable, but I just couldn't justify the weight penalty. Some people will say you don't need camp shoes if you have the right hikers, but I say BS! I carry a different pair of shoes in my car when I do 10mile hikes in the area. I feel it's important to air out your feet and change the cushioning to give the muscles a break.

hikerboy57
07-31-2013, 18:25
Im a vivobarefoot fan myself. And you can pack them too.

Venchka
07-31-2013, 19:29
I recently bought a pair of Keen Newport H2 sandals. I have every reason to believe that they will be used on trail whenever the "trail" becomes soaked or stream crossings are plentiful and frequent. Camp shoes will be icing on the cake. I weighed my size 9's on a digital scale: 1 pound 5 ounces, contrary to the 14 ounces that Keen lists in the internet.
I like the Newport sandals. The sole is very wide in the forefoot for extra support and traction. The big rubber bumper up front protects my toes.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/shoes/men/waterfront/newport%20h2#

Wayne

Double Wide
07-31-2013, 21:19
Croc brand slides--the 'shower shoe' type of sandals, (not those ugly clog looking things). I use them in camp. They weigh almost nothing, they're damn near indestructible, and pretty comfortable after a long day in the boots.

Ezra
07-31-2013, 21:25
For winter camping I like to wear a pair of Sierra Designs down "booties" around camp...nothing compares.

hobbs
07-31-2013, 21:43
I take the weight penalty becuase I use Teva''s..

Wise Old Owl
07-31-2013, 21:49
For Camp Shoes Cedar Tree delivered a great product at 1 oz for the $ and when it had a small separation he came up with a good fix...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?95481-1-oz-waterproof-camp-shoe&highlight=camp+shoes

Turk6177
08-01-2013, 14:21
I started in GA with no camp shoes. I found that after days of rain and sweat, I really wanted to air my feet out at the end of the day. I bought a pair of Waldees (Crocs) at Mountain Crossings. I have hiked with them ever since. I have used them for several water crossings in Maine when I did the 100 mile wilderness. I think you just have to be careful to make sure you have the strap around the back of your heel. With socks, you could potentially use them to hike with for a couple days until you could get shoe replacements.

shakey_snake
08-01-2013, 15:23
Huaraches?

CB1821
08-01-2013, 15:24
I saw this thread when I did a search before posting my question. Pretty ingenious and you cannot beat the weight. I had just wondered (as did some in the thread) if they could be pushed to function as backup emergency hiking shoes (and not just camp shoes, which they would seem to be excellent for).
FWIW, the best camp/water crossing/emergency shoe question came up in the context of being able to finally start doing long section hikes after 10+ years of only doing day and overnight hikes with the kids. Now that they are mature enough to be able to handle (and actually look forward to) the discomforts that long days hiking can entail, I got excited and began to replace what was by then 15 to 20-year-old equipment.
I was shocked, although I should not have been, on how much better/lighter backpacking gear had become during the intervening years and how many choices and new ways of doing things (i.e. the surge in hammock camping) now exists. Although it has been a lot of fun pouring over all the possibilities, it is also been pretty daunting and frustrating trying to keep track of all the variables (weight, durability, comfort, cost, etc…) as I tried to make choices for each item I have replaced – although I am certainly not complaining.
WB has been a great resource as I have been doing this – thanks. Now if I can just get the last few pieces of gear that I have been coveting paid for without pushing my wife to start the “budget lecture series", I am home free :)

CB1821
08-01-2013, 15:26
the last posting was in response to WOO's reference to Cedar Tree's camp shoe thread

"For Camp Shoes Cedar Tree delivered a great product at 1 oz for the $ and when it had a small separation he came up with a good fix...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ght=camp+shoes (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?95481-1-oz-waterproof-camp-shoe&highlight=camp+shoes) "

not sure why it did not show up......

Kerosene
08-01-2013, 16:17
I've brought along many of these options at various times. I'm still looking for the best balance of weight, volume, and camp comfort.

Waldies/Crocs are very comfortable, but their bulky with a moderate weight penalty (11-14 oz, men's size 10).

The mesh swimming pool slip-ons with neoprene socklets were light (~4 oz) and easy to pack, but almost impossible to wear beyond the floor of a shelter.

I will be looking closely at Cedar Tree's lightweight camp shoes, but for now I keep coming back to the slip-on sandals I found at a Wal-Mart clearance shelf as they are light (7.5 oz), able to be worn with socks or my neoprene socklets, and pretty easy to pack. They would be tough to hike in for very far and are not at all waterproof, whereas Crocs could serve in a pinch and at least have enough tread that I could walk through a bit of mud without my socks getting soaked.

Rightfoot
08-01-2013, 18:16
I use cheap, lightweight flip flops from Walmart for 3 season use.

Venchka
08-01-2013, 18:37
I take the weight penalty becuase I use Teva''s..

Teva's were my choice for stream crossings/camp footwear until I bought the Keen sandals.

Wayne

macdaddy
08-02-2013, 06:21
Speedo Surfwalker Pro, a little heavy but good traction, can wear with or without socks, not expensive.

CB1821
08-02-2013, 07:02
Speedo Surfwalker Pro, a little heavy but good traction, can wear with or without socks, not expensive.

These look like they would be serve the purpose well from what i can tell by the Speedo WEB site, but nowhere does it give how much they weigh. Have you weighed yours?

Double Wide
08-02-2013, 07:27
I just bought some Speedo Surfwalkers yesterday for canoeing. Wore 'em a bit last night, and was thinking "Hey, these would make good camp shoes for my hike".

But they're a bit heavier than my Crocs slide sandals. I haven't weighed them yet, but they aren't exactly ultralight. And as long as you're not doing a lot of rock scrambling, they'll do in a pinch for a few miles until you can get to town.

CB1821
08-02-2013, 08:44
I just bought some Speedo Surfwalkers yesterday for canoeing. Wore 'em a bit last night, and was thinking "Hey, these would make good camp shoes for my hike".

But they're a bit heavier than my Crocs slide sandals. I haven't weighed them yet, but they aren't exactly ultralight. And as long as you're not doing a lot of rock scrambling, they'll do in a pinch for a few miles until you can get to town.

Looking at them on the WEB site, I figured that they might greatly exceed the around 8 oz goal I was shooting for.

My son's solution, after deciding his Crocs were not as secure on his feet as he would like for a camp/river crossing/emergency hiking shoe, was the NB Minimus Zero Trail. At 9.6 oz (size 11), a cost of about $50, and only 2 oz heavier for the same size in the NB Minimus HI RES (what I currently use for this purpose), he thinks he's found the right balence of weight and function.

And in fact they got tested out last week as emergency hiking shoes when his sister had to use them on the 12+ mile Rock Castle Gorge Loop (VA) trail (we got to the trail head and she had forgotten to bring her hiking shoes and only had flip-flops on - go figure :rolleyes:). Despite they were way too big for her, she said they were comfortable and sturdy/secure, even on the steep, rocky sections, and her feet and the shoes seemed no worse for wear after the hike was done.

With the thinner soles, I am not sure the HI RES shoes would have faired as well or that she would have been as comfortable walking, and I just can't help but think that Crocs would not have stayed on her thin foot as well for all those miles (and certianly the flip-flops she was wearing would have failed), though I could be wrong. She also did a few stream crossings in them (instead of taking the wood trail bridges - although not because I asked her to check out the shoes for that purpose ..... but because that is what 10-year-old girls do ;). They seemed to work well for that also.

Jagger
08-06-2013, 17:00
I have been very interested in this thread and have talked to Cedar Tree about buying a pair of his as well as others about making some. I do not have sewing skills so I thought about alternatives and have come up with this prototype. I know it is very rough ( ghetto? ) but it's just a start. A couple of my objectives: 1). Camp Shoes only. I'm not looking for shoes for river crossing and back up hiking shoes is very low priority 2). Comfort! 3). Weight Savings. I currently use knock off crocs I got from Walgreens and they weigh 11.9oz for size 12. 4). Cost savings vs. the $75+ option of something like the NB Minimalist. 5). Packability...I too don't like crocs strapped to back of pack.

My solution is pretty simple. Combine soles of flip-flops with socks. My first pair is made of of two pair size 12 ( large ) Dollar Store flip flops with toe straps cut off and a pair of women's nylon hose socks ( large ). I simply put a flip-flop inside the sock and glued the other flip-flop to the bottom. I used Locktite glue that works with foam. The pair weighs 9.1oz. Well, this met some of my objectives: Camp shoe, comfort, Cheap( about $3.00 and 30 minutes of work ), and packable but really NOT a good weight savings from my current croc knock-offs, so my next pair will be made of a 1/2" foam pad I have scraps of and I'm going to use an old pair of REI Cool Max Sock Liners. The foam is less than one half the weight of the flip-flops, but the sock liners weigh about twice as much as the hose socks. Net weight is projected to be 4.1oz for the Pair ( about 2oz each ). I anticipate these will be more comfortable as the sock liners won't stretch like the hose socks.

I am attaching a few pics of the prototype and the new foam sole I will be using. Your input is appreciated...Good and Bad! I am going to post this in the Homemade gear section too.

treesloth
08-06-2013, 18:07
Vivobarefoot is an awesome camp shoe, but I'm looking at these as well:

http://www.zappos.com/puma-yutaka-lite-high-rise-blazing-yellow?zfcTest=fcl%3A0

They look so cool! About 10oz for the pair, not the lightest, but but lighter than uber-ugly Crocs.

Driver8
08-06-2013, 18:11
I bought a pair of Vibram Five Fingers a few years ago when they were the craze. Haven't used them much, but they recently made very serviceable camp shoes on a recent overnight, and they are light. One of many options.

njburg
08-07-2013, 01:24
I picked up a pair of Sperry Top Sider Shock Light sneakers today. They are more of a deck shoe, but they are VERY light. I was looking at sandals and the salesperson showed me these. I don't like sandals so these shoes look like they will work for me.

QuabbinHiker
08-07-2013, 01:49
I use my bare feet. They are thickly calloused.

Don H
08-07-2013, 08:31
I crossed off the Crocs – they come in at close to 12 to 16 oz for a pair (although knock-offs are often less) and I could not see them being secure enough to hike in (if my hiking shoes failed – which happened not long ago when the sole of my Merrill’s separated) or for water crossings

I carry Crocs and use them for stream crossings.

Phoenix (who posts hear occasionally) thrued wearing Crocs the whole way, going through three pairs, which is less than the 5 pairs of trail runners I went through.

Hiking Man
08-07-2013, 11:19
You can use Luna monos as a camp shoes, but i use them to hike in during summer. At 9oz a pair they are not the lightest, but they sure feel good on your feet.

https://www.lunasandals.com/products/37-mono

CB1821
08-07-2013, 12:01
I carry Crocs and use them for stream crossings.

Phoenix (who posts hear occasionally) thrued wearing Crocs the whole way, going through three pairs, which is less than the 5 pairs of trail runners I went through.

I wasn't "dissin'" Crocs or the people that use them, and given the comments here, there are a lot of people that find them to be a good choice for them.
Having become a borderline “gram weenie”, my response was based on the continued attempt to try and find the lightest footwear I could that would meet the requirements of being able to functioning as my camp/stream crossing/emergency hiking shoe.
Since Crocs are a little heavier than what I was looking for and since I have just been unsuccessful at keeping Crocs on my feet even when walking on flat, smooth ground (this difficulty is probably due to me having a narrow, size 12 foot), I was ruling them out for me .
By making this statement, I had no intention in offending Croc fans or in any way was I seeking to damage the fine reputation of Crocs, Inc. ;)

Onedawg
08-07-2013, 13:15
Check these out. http://www.allswim.com/product-p/125500.htm

treesloth
08-07-2013, 13:20
I wasn't "dissin'" Crocs or the people that use them, and given the comments here, there are a lot of people that find them to be a good choice for them.
Having become a borderline “gram weenie”, my response was based on the continued attempt to try and find the lightest footwear I could that would meet the requirements of being able to functioning as my camp/stream crossing/emergency hiking shoe.
Since Crocs are a little heavier than what I was looking for and since I have just been unsuccessful at keeping Crocs on my feet even when walking on flat, smooth ground (this difficulty is probably due to me having a narrow, size 12 foot), I was ruling them out for me .
By making this statement, I had no intention in offending Croc fans or in any way was I seeking to damage the fine reputation of Crocs, Inc. ;)

It's ok to call spade a spade.

CB1821
08-07-2013, 13:36

I could not find anything that gave the weight, but by saving the picture on the site and zooming in, they looked like they couldn't be more than a few ounces. And for the price ($5.49) certianly they would be worth checking out, even if only for use as a camp shoe. It would be interesting to see how durable they are.

CB1821
08-07-2013, 13:39
It's ok to call spade a spade.

Just trying to exercise due caution. I don't want to be cyber staked by a Croc Aficionado :D

Shae
08-07-2013, 13:45
RocSocs. Found a pair for $14 on sale. Great for stream crossing and camp shoes.

CB1821
08-07-2013, 13:51
RocSocs. Found a pair for $14 on sale. Great for stream crossing and camp shoes.

This looks promising at 10 oz (if that is for the pair and not each one)
RocSoc I "Hybrid"

As RocSoc I, but with more openings on the sides for additional and quicker water dispensation and breath ability.
Weight 10 oz.

treesloth
08-07-2013, 14:07
Just trying to exercise due caution. I don't want to be cyber staked by a Croc Aficionado :D

haha. Hey, Crocs are what they are. I don't knock the people either, per se, just the shoes. :) There are SO many other better looking, just-as-comfortable, and lighter options available that it makes me wonder why people are so infatuated with them. Oh well, their business.

DandT40
08-07-2013, 14:43
There are SO many other better looking, just-as-comfortable, and lighter options available that it makes me wonder why people are so infatuated with them.
If this thread has shown anything it is that this statement could not be more wrong. Clearly there aren't SO many better options cause if there were - there would be better options posted here! The $40 shoes you posted look "uber-ugly" as well, save 2 oz, and cost double what crocs cost. Not saying crocs are great at all, but they are the easiest option for most people without breaking the bank. And if anyone seems infatuated with them it is you and your dislike for them...

treesloth
08-07-2013, 14:58
And if anyone seems infatuated with them it is you and your dislike for them...

I really can't deny you that opinion. But no need to be dramatic - I doubt anyone here would be 'breaking the bank' over a $40 pair of shoes. Silnylon vs cuben though, sure.

CB1821
08-07-2013, 15:23
If this thread has shown anything it is that this statement could not be more wrong. Clearly there aren't SO many better options cause if there were - there would be better options posted here! The $40 shoes you posted look "uber-ugly" as well, save 2 oz, and cost double what crocs cost. Not saying crocs are great at all, but they are the easiest option for most people without breaking the bank. And if anyone seems infatuated with them it is you and your dislike for them...

I really can't deny you that opinion. But no need to be dramatic - I doubt anyone here would be 'breaking the bank' over a $40 pair of shoes. Silnylon vs cuben though, sure.

I never would have guessed that poking a little fun at Crocs would elicit strong reactions. I guess we all have our things that we hold as sacrosanct. I will try and keep my future humor (weak as it was) at things that are unlikely to provoke strong emotional reactions. Ya know, like religion, politics, and trail magic

Joking aside, there actually have been a lot of really good suggestions that I did not know existed, which was the point of posting.

I put several of those suggestions/items on my "Equipment to Consider List". And if what I currently have wears badly, fails to function adequately (I’ll wear my pack and take my HI RES out on a hike across the farm and wade through our streams to see how they actually work this weekend), or if I just have extra $ to buy a lighter/better alternative then I will use this list to make another choice.

The input is greatly appreciated.

Don H
08-07-2013, 16:41
CB, I didn't think anything negative about your post, just offering a different point of view and noting that at least one thru hiker has gone the distance in Crocs. Most of the other options for camp/fording shoes that I have found are not significantly lighter in weight or as durable as Crocs. If I find a good replacement I'll change. I'm a gram weenie too ;)

Drybones
08-07-2013, 17:03
you posted look "uber-ugly" ...

May be wrong, but I doubt many hikers are concerned about making a fashion statement, most I've seen look like they just crawled out of a dumpster, me included.

Drybones
08-07-2013, 17:10
I use my bare feet. They are thickly calloused.

What's the weight on those and how bulky are they?

Drybones
08-07-2013, 17:13

I'd like to order some of these but they only show a medium and I doubt that'd work on a size 13.

DandT40
08-07-2013, 18:10
May be wrong, but I doubt many hikers are concerned about making a fashion statement, most I've seen look like they just crawled out of a dumpster, me included.
I completely agree and that's kind of what my point was. Looks are the last thing I worry about which is why when the argument was made that people are stupid for getting crocs since they are so ugly (which I also agree with that they are ugly :) ) I was just saying that pretty much all stream crossing shoes are ugly. And like you said - who cares that they are?

CB1821
08-07-2013, 20:20

DandT40
I completely agree and that's kind of what my point was. Looks are the last thing I worry about which is why when the argument was made that people are stupid for getting crocs since they are so ugly (which I also agree with that they are ugly file:///C:\DOCUME~1\JHARTL~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01 \clip_image005.gif ) I was just saying that pretty much all stream crossing shoes are ugly. And like you said - who cares that they are?

But….

Aesthetics is a variable that comes into play when most people make a decision for one thing over another, be it backpacking equipment, mates, or whatever.

Evolutionary Psychologists would argue that there is a biological basis for this human predisposition (having to do with reproductive suitability markers). And most here would agree that one of the draws of nature for us is a natural, innate appreciation for symmetry and beauty that we find there? So choosing the item that you like the looks of, all other things being basically equal, may be part of a pretty natural process.

But of course Madison Avenue has perverted and greatly exaggerated this tendency in order to get us to buy products we otherwise would not by pairing looks/beauty with status, tapping into our insecurities, and emphasizing image over substance (notice that Colbert’s crest takes the Latin phrase “substance before image” and switches them around as a parody of media and society).

It is that “consumer” programming and beauty as image/status that I suspect you are rejecting and not the innate appreciation for beauty, and I believe you probably really don’t “give a damn” how what you wear/carry looks to other people/society. If that is true, I admire that (I’m not being sarcastic).

Unfortunately for me, if we all found out that hiking with a pink tutu kept biting insects at bay, prevented chafing, and kept you warm in the winter and cool in the summer, to my discredit I doubt I would wear one because I am not as “unplugged” as I wish I was.

Count yourselves among the great. I’ll keep trying.

As HDT said:
It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinions;
it is easy in solitude to live after your own;
but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude.

“How’s that for “thread drift”? :D

BradMT
08-07-2013, 21:10
Cant beat Crocs. End of story

Yup.........

Wise Old Owl
08-07-2013, 21:53
Not everyone is a fan of croc.

two isles
08-07-2013, 22:03
I used Crocs on my thru hike.
They were ugly and heavy, but my feet REALLY needed a rest at the end of the night and through fords.
But I just found these: last year's models are half price:

http://www.sockwa.com/collections/2012

They just came in. They run a tad small, so I am glad I went for a size biggger.

Jagger
08-08-2013, 14:50
What size sockwa did you get and how much do they actual weigh for the pair? Is the sole thick enough to be comfortable or do you feel every pebble?

Omaha_Ace
08-13-2013, 13:50
foam flip-flops or barefoot for me.

Deco
08-13-2013, 23:01
Option three is the way to go. I bought a pair of light weight Merrill running shoes last year for creek crossings and camp. Couldn't be happier!

QHShowoman
08-13-2013, 23:23
I use Skechers Go Recovery slip-ons as my camp shoes. They weigh 8.2oz, total, and are super comfortable. They also dry quickly and are machine washable/dryable. I own an all black pair, but here's a link to the style.

http://www.famousfootwear.com/Mobile/ProductDetail.aspx?p=67312&pg=1028687

Sevsa
08-14-2013, 12:47
Just bought a pair of Croc knockoffs called Doggies. They have a velcro strap in the front. They are getting rid of their summer stuff so they were 1/2 price at CVS for $7.49. Weight 11.8 oz. for size 11-13.

CB1821
08-14-2013, 13:12
I use Skechers Go Recovery slip-ons as my camp shoes. They weigh 8.2oz, total, and are super comfortable. They also dry quickly and are machine washable/dryable. I own an all black pair, but here's a link to the style.

http://www.famousfootwear.com/Mobile/ProductDetail.aspx?p=67312&pg=1028687

Looks promising. Good weight, price, and look durable with a reasonable sole thickness.
FYI: As I said I would, I "tested" the NB HI RES. The seemed like they would be durable for many miles of hiking and worked as stream crossing shoes.
The negatives – soles are super thin, so they won’t provide much cushion from rocks and the like, and moisture will seep through the bottoms, so in wet weather they might not be ideal for camp shoes.
There are other options on here that would probably meet the requirements better and for a lot less money. Live and learn.

QHShowoman
08-14-2013, 15:39
Looks promising. Good weight, price, and look durable with a reasonable sole thickness.

Yes, the soles are surprisingly thick and cushy for such lightweight shoes. I wear them a lot -- camping and in my non-camping life -- and there is little sign of wear on the soles after almost a year of use.

The only downside is that pebbles tend to get caught in between the treads on the soles. Never to the point where they cause any discomfort or even sensation, but I do spend a couple minutes a day picking them out. And they're fairly flexible, so they'll stuff into whatever crevice you have available in your pack.

They also have a small hole in the back of each heel, which is handy for hooking them onto a carabiner if you want to clip them to the outside of your pack for drying.

I didn't buy these with the intention of using them for camping shoes (I bought them as shoes to wear to and from yoga), but they became my favorite go-to pair for traveling because they replaced my shower shoes AND walking shoes when on business trips. So bringing them camping and backpacking became a no-brainer. After my first trip, I was annoyed because they got really dirty and I thought they were shot for non-camping use. But I threw them in the washer (and then the dryer on low heat) and they were good as new!

Astro
08-14-2013, 16:12
Im a vivobarefoot fan myself. And you can pack them too.

Based upon Hiker Boy's recommendation I went with a pair of Vivobarefoot this summer and considered it a success. Could not justify the weight (and bulk) of Crocs. Mine are light (7 vs 14oz), so while not as comfortable as Crocs, light enough for me to justify carrying.

q-tip
08-15-2013, 12:09
Does anyone know how much the Crocs Baya Slide Weigh??????? http://www.crocs.com/crocs-baya-slide/12000,default,pd.html?adid=google_ppc_0_footwear-unisex-spring12_baya-summer-slide&gclid=CLWm9_fq_7gCFQ2Z4Aod1DsAKw