PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Sierra Stove?

Felix
08-02-2005, 01:59
So in preparation for an extended hike, I was reading The Complete Walker IV, by the wonderful Mr. Fletcher and Mr. Rawlins, and decided that a Sierra Stove is just what I need. Sadly, such a device costs money, which I lack. Anyone have any suggestions for making a stove that acts, basically, as a miniature furnace, and needs at most a small fan to power it?

Thanks.

Edit: and does not, for those who may not know of the Sierra Stove, require anything but wood chips/dung/etc. for fuel (as opposed to the various fuels commonly used.).

justusryans
08-02-2005, 08:17
I use a Sierra Stove and love the flexability it gives me. It's not perfect. It's a little smoky,( I like the smell) your pots tend to blacken, (heats faster) but the only issue I have had is using them in the rain. Not wet wood, that can be overcome. I'm talking about heavy rain. Of course in those conditions I'm not sure any stove would be too great. As far as building one Sarge has a web page and I believe has built similar stoves.

Lanthar Mandragoran
08-02-2005, 10:55
Check out risk's site, www.imrisk.com has instructions on how to make one cheap. Scroll down towards the bottom.

DLFrost
08-03-2005, 03:36
So in preparation for an extended hike, I was reading The Complete Walker IV, by the wonderful Mr. Fletcher and Mr. Rawlins, and decided that a Sierra Stove is just what I need. Sadly, such a device costs money, which I lack. Anyone have any suggestions for making a stove that acts, basically, as a miniature furnace, and needs at most a small fan to power it?

Thanks.

Edit: and does not, for those who may not know of the Sierra Stove, require anything but wood chips/dung/etc. for fuel (as opposed to the various fuels commonly used.).
You might also have a look at the Garlington WoodGas Stove.
http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/WoodGasStove/

Doug Frost

Lanthar Mandragoran
08-03-2005, 09:38
The WoodGas stoves work very well.

Felix
08-03-2005, 12:14
Thanks all. Good stuff.