PDA

View Full Version : Katahdin approach

WeShallSee
07-31-2013, 15:50
Please don't everybody jump on me for trying to wuss out or anything. I truly am just curious. If there is an alternate approach to the summit, why do the SOBO thru hikers use the AT approach that is so difficult. The trail starts and ends at the summit right. So technically you only need to go down by way of the AT, right? At Springer, hikers don't all use the approach trail. Again I say please don't jump all over me. Just a straight answer, please.

Lone Wolf
07-31-2013, 16:05
yes there are other routes to the top

hikerboy57
07-31-2013, 16:07
Logistically the hunt trail is the easiest up and down . You can go up theabol slide trail which is steeper than the hunt trail but saves about 2 miles

Pedaling Fool
07-31-2013, 16:42
I wouldn't be surprised if the Hunt trail, which is easier logistically for thru-hikers, also is easier physically. I hiked up to Katahdin over the Helon Taylor trail and down the Hunt trail. I thought the Helon Taylor trail was tougher, but that was back in '81.

joshuasdad
07-31-2013, 16:46
I just hiked up Abol and down Hunt as I am SOBO sectioning in Maine. I did it that way because the Hunt (KS) parking was full, and I wanted to see a different part of the mountain.

Logistically, it makes sense to hike up and down Hunt for a thru because the ranger will store your full pack, and loan you a daypack. Plus, it is a good idea to hike up Hunt once, so you know what to expect when going down. I was lucky enough to follow a nice couple down the tough parts of Hunt, which probably saved me an hour of indecision.

jeffmeh
07-31-2013, 16:47
Logistically the hunt trail is the easiest up and down . You can go up theabol slide trail which is steeper than the hunt trail but saves about 2 miles

Exactly. If you can get someone to drive you to one of the other trails, you have more options. Up Helon Taylor to Pamola Peak, then across the Knife Edge, would be a great way to do it.

peakbagger
07-31-2013, 17:08
The hike up the west side of the mountain has completely different scenery, the Helon Taylor/Khifes edge option would be more difficult with a backpack on (I have done it heading down). Cathedral is pretty spectacular but is quite steep, in some spots a backpack would make it more difficult. The Saddle Slide is the foul weather route, not as scenic and a lot of loose rock/gravel near the top. Hamlin Ridge Trail is an underappreciated Gem, if it wasnt so close to the Knifes Edge folks would drive up there just to do this trail as on one side you have the Chimney basin and on the other side you have another large basin, it does make for a long day.

As mentioned logistics keep a lot of folks from trying it as unless they drop the pack off at Katahdin stream, they are carrying max weight over the summit. Its difficult to do the morning of the hike due to the very slow roads, making a detour to KSC adds 1.5 hours to the 1 hour drive to roaring brook from the gate.

Gillum
07-31-2013, 18:39
A good number of south bounders start soon after the trails open to the summit (mid to late May). The Hunt trail tends to open sooner than others as it gets more direct sunlight hence expediting the melting of ice and 'drying out' (ha ha) the trail.

Shocker
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WeShallSee
08-01-2013, 05:07
Thanks to all of you for your great answers. Now I understand. The logistics seem to be a huge part of the reason that most people do the Hunt trail. Besides it's all part of the challenge of the AT.