PDA

View Full Version : New England campsite ideas?

John Rambo
07-31-2013, 23:07
Hey guys: my buddy asked me for advice on a camping trip he and his brother in law want to take. Even though I'm a Newenglandahkehd, I actually haven't hiked NE too thoroughly. Here are his outting goals:

1. Short hike into the woods, about half a day (so a couple miles to the campsite from a decent road)
2. Near a lake they may or may not fish
3. Somewhat secluded (they are going in late September, so I imagine a blue blaze would be the best)

Does anyone know of a nice little spot for my bros? It can be in MA, NH, VT, CT, ME. Whateva. I was hoping to set them up near a shelter to give them a little neato Trail flavor, but it's not a requirement. I'm just hoping to find them something secret so they won't get roped into paying to tent! Thanks guys!

John Rambo

Driver8
08-01-2013, 01:03
Stratton Mountain/Pond area in VT is nice. Not crazy rugged, but pretty isolated. Pretty place. Very busy, though. Not sure if fishing is allowed in the pond - I'm sure others will know.

Sasquatch73
08-01-2013, 01:20
One of my favorite campsites was near Jo-Mary Road in The Hundred Mile Wilderness. Great spot between the trail and a creek, plenty of space to set up multiple tents and tons of firewood nearby. The site was about a mile south of Jo-Mary on the east side of the AT. Another possibility in the area is the Cooper Brook Falls Lean-to. It's less than four miles south of Jo-Mary and features a cascading stream directly in front of the shelter, would be a sweet place to spend a night or two!