PDA

View Full Version : Going to one of Trail Days matter?

Deafsmart
08-02-2005, 02:01
Should I bother myself by going to Damascus Trail Days? What about Hot Springs Trail Days? I have been wrestle on which appointing, Day 1, when I got to be at Mt. Springer and by the time I be arriving in Damascus, approx. 30 days later.
Fact is,
I am Deaf around noisy setting but think myself as Hard of Hearing in one and one conversation, vocal recognition and lip-reading. Thrus, having Sign Language Interpreters (important events like those Trail Days warrant for more than one interpreter) seems far-fetching requirement, consider how informal event they will be.
Which day seem to be highlight? If this were a MacWorld Expo, I would not want to miss a day when Steve Jobs, Apple Computer CEO, make his keynote address.

Peaks
08-02-2005, 07:42
Should you go to Trail Days before attempting a thru-hike? That's your call.

I consider Trail Days to be mostly party, rather than a "how to" training. Sure, you can rub shoulders with thru-hikers, but there are much better ways to learn about thru-hiking.

SGT Rock
08-02-2005, 08:04
There is a possibility you could learn something about hiking at Trail Days, but more likely you will learn how hikers act in town than anything else. :D

When you thru-hike, just hike. Don't worry about a start date that will put you into Damascus. There are plenty of people past Damascus that find rides back and people that are before Damascus that find rides up. You can figure that out closer to when the time comes.

Lone Wolf
08-02-2005, 08:07
If you wanna see how wolves act on too much beer and too little sleep, stop by my house during Trail Days. :D

SGT Rock
08-02-2005, 08:10
How about some shine nest year Wolf?:jump

MOWGLI
08-02-2005, 08:28
In 2000 I didn''t go back south to catch Trail Days (I was in Centtral VA @ the time) and haven't a single regret. To me, the best part about Trail Days is running into people that you met on the trail the previous year. I went in '01 and had a good time.

I guess I'm agreeing wiith Peaks. Last year Eleanor Graselli (now President of the Mt. Rogers Appalachian Trail Club) arranged for someone to sign the presentations @ Trail Days (including mine) for Flash Hand who is also deaf. Flash Hand is on this site, and would be an EXCELLENT person for you to correspond with. In fact, he lives in Arizona, so if you haven''t already hooked up with him, you might wanna try. You might find your self a hiking partner in an adjacent state who is also deaf.

Good luck! Hey, if you want to get Eleanor Graselli's contact info, send me a Private Message.

Jeffrey Hunter

Nean
08-02-2005, 09:42
Trailfest in Hot Springs is a tiny version of Trail Daze and we like it that way. I have fun at both but at T-Days I must be very careful not to have too much fun as it can be one big party. I also think most would enjoy some part of Trail Days. I agree with the suggestion to contact Flash Hand.

The Solemates
08-02-2005, 11:05
didnt go to TD during our thru in 04. went this year in 05. probably will go again. thats the way to do it in my opinion. we were to focused on hiking during our thru...TD would have been a hinderance to that. besides, we were in NY when TD was going on.

A-Train
08-02-2005, 12:31
I agree with the others. Didn't go the yr I hiked. I was already near Pine Grove Furnace by that time, too far to hitch back. Made the next yr all the better. I was so suprised to see so many friends without anyone co-ordinating it. Didn't go back. Not enough friends returning, too far of a drive, and I kinda woulda felt like a has-been.

As far as info goes, you'd be better served going to the Gathering this fall or one of the Ruck's in the winter.

Deafsmart
08-10-2005, 23:28
Thank you all. It was productive. I will forgo any festivals and events on my first thru-hike. Flash Hand insisted tonight through our AIM<>iChat that he says I must make effort to be there. Party? I agreed and it is worth to conserve my energy and pre-set goal of this venture, I cannot afford to flunk-up. That's including restraint myself from going to a Scottish Highland Games and Gathering up on Grandfather Mountain. I must get off to NYC for business trip, seeing my literary agent and WTC memorial before head back. Tanglewood is a maybe.

Jack Tarlin
08-11-2005, 19:01
In addition to Trail Days, (or perhaps as an alternative) I urge folks to consider the annual Gathering of hikers, put on by the Appalachian Long Distance Hiker's Association (ALDHA). There are not only all sorts of social events and the chance to catch up with old friends, but the lectures, slide shows, and presentations are great; there's all sorts of stuff for those who wish to learn about the AT, the PCT, the CDT, Long Trail, and every other major long distance hiking trail in America. Also, there are quite a few events for prospective thru-hikers and those planning or contemplating long hikes.

In short, it's a great time for everyone. This year, it'll be Columbus Day Weekend, in Hanover, NH. For more info, check out www.aldha.org There will be lots more information on this event posted at the ALDHA website as it gets closer to October, including a complete schedule of events.

Slimer
08-11-2005, 19:16
Although I live about 2 hrs. from Damascus, I've never been to Trail Days........I tend to stay away from the crowds. However, i do make a trip there the week before Trail Days, just to see who's in town.......and also to stop at Dots for a hamburger steak. I even saw Wolf out doing his running........hehe.

Flash Hand
08-12-2005, 23:48
I spoke with Deafsmart on AIM, discussing about the benefit of the Trail Days. I would encourage him to go there to see different vendors selling gears and hiking equipment that will help much for other 1,700 miles. I made some purchases at Trail Days and found very resourceful for my hike.

The cons about trail days is that if you hike way ahead or fall behind, you HAVE To hitch for ride to Damascus.

Flash Hand :jump

Flash Hand
08-12-2005, 23:50
Although I live about 2 hrs. from Damascus, I've never been to Trail Days........I tend to stay away from the crowds. However, i do make a trip there the week before Trail Days, just to see who's in town.......and also to stop at Dots for a hamburger steak. I even saw Wolf out doing his running........hehe.

Yeah I wont miss trail days on my next thru hike attempt, cuz of Wolf. He might buy you free beers and tell you where stripper bars are. LOL

Nearly Normal
08-13-2005, 00:30
Yeah I wont miss trail days on my next thru hike attempt, cuz of Wolf. He might buy you free beers and tell you where stripper bars are. LOL

That's good to know!

Pete:banana

dancinbutterfly
08-14-2005, 10:50
I've been looking through the threads because I wanted to see if the answer to my question is on here, but I'm now tired of doing that...although I've learned alot of great stuff, can anyone give the new girl an idea of a good daily pace for the trail. About how many miles should I aim for per day. I'm not planning on setting out for my thru-hike for awhile, but I'm beginning to plan. Surely it will vary somewhat, but a goal distance for an average pace?

Thanks, T

Rain Man
08-14-2005, 17:02
.... About how many miles should I aim for per day. ...

First of all, I'm "only" a section hiker, but I really like something I've read several times now-- "Start slow, then slow down."

In GA and NC, the shelters are about 8 miles apart, roughly. If you stay at shelters, then you have a choice of 8 mile days or 16 mile days. If you tent camp, you simply have more choices, but basically the same dilemma.

By all means, do 8 mile days for at least a couple of weeks. There might be a big impetus to keep up with friends, or not to stop in the early afternoon, and to push on for a 16 mile day. My advice is don't give in to that impulse. All it will do for you is to build up the early cumulative stresses on your body, to the point something might break down before you are trail-hardened. I am speaking from vicarious experience, not my own.

But, everybody is different, so the above is a generalization for inexperienced hikers, and worth every cent you paid for it. LOL

Rain:sunMan

Belew
08-14-2005, 17:42
If you wanna see how wolves act on too much beer and too little sleep, stop by my house during Trail Days.

If you have room in the yard you know I'll be there, Wolf. Skip too, I bet. I think I might even enter the talent show if it's not just for the thru hikers. I'll be there for the party and hopefully the music!

Lone Wolf
08-14-2005, 20:21
You boys is welcome anytime. Y'all got more class by accident than I have on purpose. Troll and Rock have open invites too. All this authorized by Gypsy.

SGT Rock
08-14-2005, 20:25
Tell Gypsy thanks ;)

Belew
08-15-2005, 06:58
Thanks y'all, I don't know about that class thing though.
I'll see y'all and the rest of the Damascus gang soon. :bse