PDA

View Full Version : Anybody hiked in NB MT1210 shoes.

moytoy
08-01-2013, 09:16
I'm looking for a new Pair of Trail Runners. My old NB 814's are about shot. The NB MT1210's are just about 10oz. each. Just wondering if anybody here have tried them for hiking. http://www.newbalance.com/Leadville-1210/leadville,default,pg.html

Snicklefritz
08-01-2013, 13:40
I'm looking for a new Pair of Trail Runners. My old NB 814's are about shot. The NB MT1210's are just about 10oz. each. Just wondering if anybody here have tried them for hiking. http://www.newbalance.com/Leadville-1210/leadville,default,pg.html

I have a pair (women's, of course). Have had them out a few times on the trail this past month. FWIW, here's my opinion:

PROs:

Very comfortable - lots of padding around heel
Good support for a lightweight shoe - helps for some over pronation
Lots of mesh - very breathable
Very little interior seaming - did not notice any hotspots right out of the box
Large toe box for plenty of room
Extremely light - the 8 oz is right on the money

CONs:

"Debris free construction" - had plenty of grit & debris almost immediately after wearing each time. Didn't use with gaitors, though
Info on their site about the tongue being very short is accurate. You really can't use the heel lock lacing system with these, as the top laces will slip below the tongue. However, that lacing was mentioned in conjunction with the shoes having some heel slippage. I did not notice that issue at all, so the heel lock system wasn't needed, and therefore the tongue was not as issue for me.
Lack of traction - my biggest issue. Tried them several times on the AT here in GA, and had lots of trouble with traction on both ascents/descents (mostly ups..). Lugs just don't seem deep enough.

I like the feel of the shoe, but unfortunately I'll have to use it primarily for trail running on flatter terrain, and keep using my Mountain Masochists for the hiking.

moytoy
08-02-2013, 05:47
Thanks for the input snicklefritz. I do a week trip to N Ga. every fall and I may get a pair of the MT1210 and try them anyway. If they don't work I can always use them here on the FT:) Good Hiking snicklefritz and welcome to WB.

A/B
01-16-2014, 16:49
Hi, you posted about trying the New Balance MT1210's. Did you ever try them? I need a wide shoe for my AT thru this year, and they look interesting. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

burger
01-16-2014, 17:35
Thumbs up on the 1210s from me. I used these on the CDT, and each pair lasted me 600+ miles. I probably could've pushed them further if I'd wanted to. I thought that the tread was great, easily the best on any trail runner that I've used. And I had zero problems with the tongue or laces, despite a high instep and a history of pain on the top of my feet from bad tongues/lacing systems. Best of all, NB makes shoes up to 4E width, which was a huge help for me with blister problems.

moytoy
01-16-2014, 17:47
Hi, you posted about trying the New Balance MT1210's. Did you ever try them? I need a wide shoe for my AT thru this year, and they look interesting. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I did not buy the shoes yet. I am still using my old NB 814's but I am breaking out of the sides so very soon I am going to be buying new shoes.

I have not decided yet what to replace the 814's with.

nastynate
01-16-2014, 20:58
I really like my 1210's. I put 2 18 mile back to back days on mine right out of the box. Very comfy. That being said, my road running shoes are Altra Torin' s and my next trail shoes will probably be the Altra Lone Peaks or Olympus. I love the huge toe box and zero drop.

Texaco
03-06-2014, 11:00
New Balance Athletics is a client of mine, I work with producing their corporate events. Spending so much time with them, I've been able to talk thoroughly with their apparel and running departments about equipment for the hike. Here's an excerpt from an e-mail conversation with one of their running development guys:

With that many miles I would definitely go with the MT1210, or secondary to it, the MT910. They both would provide excellent protection and cushioning under foot as well as allowing for foot expansion after trekking for so long. The 910 fits a little more snug if that is the feeling you are going for. If there are days where you need a very lightweight and flexible package I would use the MT1010v2.

As an avid NB guy, I'll be using (or at least starting with, and intending to use) the 1210s on my thru. Though little break-in seems to be required, I'll start wearing my first pair two weeks or so before I leave for Springer. Either way, just wanted to add his input to the thread for people researching this trail runner option.

Wülfgang
10-07-2014, 14:19
Older thread, but I have these shoes and will comment...

I have the NB 1210 (Leadvilles) in wide size. I've probably put 100+ miles on them.

Excellent cushion
Decent dry time, but not fast
Good strong midsole, no issues with rocks poking through
Good tread for climbing and stopping
No blisters, the liner inside helps
Overall excellent comfort, even on a longer (15 mile+) day

Dislikes:

Not the most stable shoe I've worn. I do not recommend wearing them for anything other than trail hiking or very mild bushwhacking. My feet slide and roll off trail.
Cushioning may be just a tad too thick for a thru hike, but depends on your needs and preferences.
Could dry a bit faster

Overall these are a great shoe for any trail-based hiking. No issues with comfort for all day trial use. Like I said, I do not recommend them for off-trail use like bouldering, bushwhacking, very steep slopes, etc. They are not stable enough.

They do run a bit wide and I find the wide size is maybe even too big for my feet (I typically wear wides).

moytoy
10-08-2014, 00:57
Thanks for the input wulfgang. Because of some health issues I haven't been on the AT or any mountain hikes for a couple of years. So I still have not purchased any new hiking shoes. I still want a pair of Leadvilles to continue hiking in. It's just a matter of time.